Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PC Gaming worth it??

Last response: in Video Games
February 12, 2011 8:10:46 PM

I was thinking about building a PC entirely for gaming (I already have a MacBook for internet/word processing) and I didn't know if it was worth it or not. I have a PS3 and Xbox 360 at the moment, and I am pretty much satisfied with their game library. The only PC exclusives I am interested in are The Witcher 1/2, Crysis, and MMORPG's such as Star Wars The Old Republic/WoW/Dark Age of Camelot. I would play some games that are better on PC such as Bioshock, Doom and any other FPS but I don't know how I would adapt to the controls on PC. I also already have Oblivion and Morrowind but I was thinking about playing them on the PC for mods. I am really looking forward to the Elder Scrolls 5 but after hearing Bethesda say it is pretty much the same on all three platforms, I am wondering if building a PC is worth it. I have about $500 dollars saved up and will need to save up more if I am going to build a PC. I don't know how to build one, but I can learn. If I already have a PS3 and Xbox 360, is building a PC entirely for gaming worth it if all the games I want, save a few, are on console? I do prefer good graphics and I don't know how I would adapt to mouse/keyboard controls.
Any feedback/help is appreciated

More about : gaming worth

February 12, 2011 8:18:41 PM

I have one PC for work/general use and another just for gaming, so I'd say it was worth it.
Score
February 13, 2011 5:57:36 AM

actually its quite decent, but only worth it if u invest in a good lcd flat planet tv display, and second i refuse to pay 70 dollars for a console game, thats just bank robbery,

ya pc gaming is the bomb, ive tried to stray away but i just cant live without my games, well i can but id prefer to keep it that way
Score
Related resources
February 13, 2011 6:27:24 AM

Pc gaming is where its at man. While 95% of the games released today are multiplatform. The experience is just not the same. Not only are the PC versions graphically superior and run smoother they cost cheaper too specially when Steam runs a discount, console gaming looks expensive. Not to mention games like:

Oblivion, Dragon age origins, Left 4 dead 2, Fall out 3 (and many others) while these are present on the consoles the experience is totally different due to Mods alone.

Whats more with PC people can actually build a library of games very quickly and cheaply over time. I have personally been a PC gamer since 1995, i have 100's of games in my collection, Steam alone having 120 games. Recently i played:

Max payne 2, Dungeon keeper 2 from my old library.

This is something not possible on console, people end up buying 1000's of USDs worth of games over a generation, only to not be able to play them next generation. Cant blame the console makers too, they are a business they would rather like customers to go out buy new games then to be able to play old games on the new platform. With the new trend to charnge for old remakes i see BC going the way of the DODO even with the next consoles.

Imo console gaming in the long run is a costly affair.
Score
February 13, 2011 5:10:34 PM

I prefer playing PC games to console games.

1. I like strategy games and there are hardly any on consoles.

2. The type of space sims I play are only released on PC. Primary the "X series". X3 - Reunion was being developed for the Xbox 360, but due to many constraints the size of the universe and gameplay options had to be reduced. Eventually the project was simply terminated due to too many limitations.

3. I prefer keyboard & mouse controls to gamepads.

4. A PC can do more than just play Blu-Rays and games. But it will cost more than a console.
Score
February 13, 2011 7:20:32 PM

PC gaming is definitely a step above the console. Plus you can upgrade a PC to keep up with the latest tech. The console's hardware is fixed at a point in time. It has the most capability you'll ever have with it the day you buy it. As a result, if you want something better, you have to buy a new console. I would argue, in the long run, it's cheaper to buy and evolve a PC than it is to keep buying and buying the latest consoles.

These days, you can even attach a souped-up PC to a tv set which can serve many different puposes (gaming, streaming media server, web browser, blu-ray player, etc...).

I guess one drawback of the PC gaming experience is even though you can play multiplayer over the internet, it's primarily geared toward a single user, whereas gaming on the console has many titles geared toward up to four players in the same room interacting on the same screen with one piece of hardware. This is the only place I can think of where the PC gaming experience falls short.
Score
February 13, 2011 8:17:19 PM

pcgamer31 said:
I was thinking about building a PC entirely for gaming (I already have a MacBook for internet/word processing) and I didn't know if it was worth it or not. I have a PS3 and Xbox 360 at the moment, and I am pretty much satisfied with their game library. The only PC exclusives I am interested in are The Witcher 1/2, Crysis, and MMORPG's such as Star Wars The Old Republic/WoW/Dark Age of Camelot. I would play some games that are better on PC such as Bioshock, Doom and any other FPS but I don't know how I would adapt to the controls on PC. I also already have Oblivion and Morrowind but I was thinking about playing them on the PC for mods. I am really looking forward to the Elder Scrolls 5 but after hearing Bethesda say it is pretty much the same on all three platforms, I am wondering if building a PC is worth it. I have about $500 dollars saved up and will need to save up more if I am going to build a PC. I don't know how to build one, but I can learn. If I already have a PS3 and Xbox 360, is building a PC entirely for gaming worth it if all the games I want, save a few, are on console? I do prefer good graphics and I don't know how I would adapt to mouse/keyboard controls.

One famous line:- The day when PC Gaming will die...i will stop playing games, never had console, it never would be. :pfff: 
Score
February 14, 2011 3:06:07 PM

If you've got the dough then go for it. Basically, PC Gaming is much prettier and controls are top notch (especially for shooters). That said, PC gaming is a bit more technical so if you do the jump from console to PC, make sure you understand what you're getting into (change settings on every game, measuring FPS, degragmenting, updating drivers frequently, etc).

once you've figured out everything though, the experience is MUCH better.
Score
February 18, 2011 11:03:14 AM

I prefer PC gaming, but unless you have the the money to upgrade your hardware every 2-3 years, it can be expensive.
Score
February 28, 2011 9:00:54 PM

werner123 said:
I am a pc gamer,but but do not agree with people saying consoles suck. To take metro 2033 for example it plays smooth on the 360 but yet people with high end systems cant play that game for s**t, the gfx on the 360 looks good enough for me but you can do alot more with a pc that why i stick with pc gaming and you should aswell

Thats because the game used two main DX11 features that would require a lot of power.
Score
March 1, 2011 5:17:26 AM

PC gamers tend to think that they need the super high-end crap they advertise on new egg. I game on a laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of ddr3, HD 4650 video card. I bought it on ebay for 300 bucks and it plays Mass Effect 2 at high settings with no lag. Granted I probably can't expect the same performance on some games, but I'm happy with what I've got. PC games are cheap, plentiful, and you don't have to worry about them becoming unplayable when the next system comes out. Overall, if you can get over the idea that you need some super expensive system to power your games, PC gaming is totally top-notch
Score
March 1, 2011 6:35:22 AM

timmygrover said:
PC gamers tend to think that they need the super high-end crap they advertise on new egg. I game on a laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of ddr3, HD 4650 video card. I bought it on ebay for 300 bucks and it plays Mass Effect 2 at high settings with no lag. Granted I probably can't expect the same performance on some games, but I'm happy with what I've got. PC games are cheap, plentiful, and you don't have to worry about them becoming unplayable when the next system comes out. Overall, if you can get over the idea that you need some super expensive system to power your games, PC gaming is totally top-notch

I dont care what people they say and what i am going to lose(money)
but its a tradition for me or others who are like me to upgrade system time to time just keep pc gaming alive.
Be it any reason or any single game, i always try to cut down my expenses and upgrade my pc.
And i would say we all "PC Gamer" should keep this tradition alive.

CONSOLE Gamers they are restricted to 30fps but we arent and that makes us different.....i call this "Gaming at the fullest, doesnt matter even if you lose something". :bounce: 
Score
March 1, 2011 7:01:21 AM

werner123 said:
The game plays like crap on dx9 as well. My point is try and play metro 2033 with a pc that has exactly the same hardware specs as the 360 it will not look nearly as good and it'll be unplayable (slideshow) The problem with pc's is not the hardware it's the software running it holding it back, operating system, gfx drivers etc. Consoles has a simple interface, nothing running in the background easier to code for. If you take a 360 with a sb i2500, 4gb ram, gtx460 it's going to perform better than a desktop pc with the same hardware, and i hate that. My pc plays metro smooth but when in the market section where you buy weapons and stuff where there is a lot of people it lags like hell, but with the 360 it's smooth WHY?? And the gfx on the 360 looks actually not worse than mine and i play at med sometimes high settings @1080p

Lol when this game was out that time i had a small 14inches outdated(1999) monitor and i played it on that (lol :D  ) and it was pretty smooth..no lags not even once :lol: 

even still i dont have a huge monitor, i bought 18" inches monitor and i am satisfied that my GPU is good enough to run 95% games in highest settings..except 1 or two games lol :D  :lol: 
Score
March 1, 2011 7:16:39 AM

werner123 said:
Good for you, I'm sure you are one of those that that will say you play crysis smooth with a hd3850 512mb and that 30fps is playable and you dont see a difference between 30 fps and 60 fps

i've tried hd 3850 and 5,6 other gpu's as well and bet you can see the difference if you use higher end next generation cards.

i dont know how much you keep from your monitor but the way my PC is positioned its hardly 15-25inches away from my face and 18inches monitor is more than enuff for this position to show you the difference.

btw 3850 sucks.. :pfff: 
Score
March 1, 2011 7:17:43 AM

no point buying a monitor of 32inches and sitting 1 mile away from it :D  :D 
Score
March 1, 2011 7:19:59 AM

i played dead space 2 at 1280x1024 resolution and on highest settings was getting 185fps max and avg 98-105fps ...had enough eye candy for myself :) 
Score
March 1, 2011 7:38:05 AM

werner123 said:
I'm getting over 300 fps and avg the same as you maybe a little more with my 6850 all completely maxed out @1080p, i just hate the stuttering i'm getting with vsync enabled,sorry if i sounded sarcastic , just wanted to prove a valid point.

Okay but one thing to say, that is ............you're not good in bragging..

do you even know what "vsync does"??

read this article

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249928-33-vsync-vsync...

and getting 300fps on full hd ....is almost next to impossible even if you bring either 5970 or 6970 ...lol :lol: 
Score
March 1, 2011 7:42:04 AM

i have small monitor(as per todays standard monitor availability) not small brain

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D 
Score
March 1, 2011 7:44:52 AM

werner123 said:
Well i quess it caps your fps to your monitors refresh rate, jeez i really dont know. I try to play all my games with vsync enabled because i hate screen tearing. No i'm not the bragging type are You?

do i look or sound like one of them :sarcastic: 
Score
March 1, 2011 7:48:20 AM

werner123 said:
well i quess it's true small things does indeed amuses small minds

it might have happened with you...but it barely happens with others
Score
March 1, 2011 7:50:37 AM

werner123 said:
Well yes you do look like a nerd

then open your tiny little eyes and see things thoroughly or if you have extremely big eyes like a toad then go for sight correction,,,,you might see things clearly.. :bounce: 
Score
March 1, 2011 7:56:25 AM

werner123 said:
Good for you, I'm sure you are one of those that that will say you play crysis smooth with a hd3850 512mb and that 30fps is playable and you dont see a difference between 30 fps and 60 fps

Me a small minded guy...wow...thanks for letting me know and just check my posted comments first then read them carefully and check your above posted comment and then let me know who was being sarcastic...

Me a small minded guy wowx100000000 :non: 
Score
March 1, 2011 7:57:59 AM

werner123 said:
Damn i've got a virus on my pc how do i get rid of it INSECT looks like the virus is getting racial that's a new one

Stop being sarcastic and virus will go away itself.
Score
March 1, 2011 7:59:57 AM

werner123 said:
okay

Are we cool ??
Score
March 1, 2011 8:04:27 AM

werner123 said:
I was actually laughing my pants of with this,just screwing with you, were cool

i dont know...but people they tend to take it seriously ,,,,believe me :bounce: 
Score
March 1, 2011 8:13:00 AM

werner123 said:
Yeah but those are true nerds that dont have a social life

let me tell you a funny thing.....

i was after a girl almost 7-8yrs ago....she was a yr older than me...at that time i was in my teenage,,,,she never accepted my proposal and always said...we can be friends..

funny thing

when yesterday morning when i woke up ...i saw her mail...saying how am i...and saying////if i am married or not

i just replied back good,fine and said.....single and looking..and jokingly asking ..how many children do you have now..

she replied back....still single "wink" along with her cell# and asking mine...she is in a diff state right now.

now i dont understand what to say.....in between these yrs many girls came in my life....and all of a sudden......someone coming just like that....

what do you say??

i know it doesnt relate to this topic...

but doesnt this remind you a song by boyzone "isnt it a wonder"
:lol: 

Score
March 1, 2011 8:28:39 AM

Now let me tell you ...what i meant...

PC=ME, Console=That Girl

Dedicated gaming(console)
Multi-tasking(PC)

I was after her(Console)=Trying to get stable gaming

She's after me(Maybe she finds her future better with me now..as we're grown up now....marriage or something after relationship.....or maybe her asshole bf dumped her(PC)

Means PC Gaming could be better than Console gaming cuz pc is always many steps ahead of console...

consoles are like teenagers...who dont evaluate things.

pc's are like a grown up man...who evaluate judge and do many things

you know what i mean
Score
March 1, 2011 8:32:01 AM

Me and my silly philosphy :D 
Score
March 1, 2011 8:37:02 AM

werner123 said:
Indeed

and one more thing...its true...i aint lying.....i swear on my mom.

just like a movie .....but for me no-turning back :( 
Score
March 1, 2011 8:39:34 AM

Anyway back to the topic...

PC Gaming is always better than CONSOLE Gaming cuz you get options to upgrade..

your cpu, gpu, memory and mobo...etc

which is absent in consoles...and moreover there is no restriction in framerates also.

so i'd say if you can afford then pc gaming is better and for me.....i am so used to of keyboard and mouse....cant even think of playing with joystick..

tried many times with xbox and ps2 keyboards but felt awkward :p 
Score
March 1, 2011 8:40:49 AM

and regarding monitors and their sizes....it depends on your requirements and how do you position your sitting arrangement and monitor..(except for 14monitor..cuz thats extremely small)

Score
March 1, 2011 8:51:09 AM

werner123 said:
I know what you mean. but i replaced my 19" with a samsung 23" led screen did not need it because of the distance you're sitting. But i just like the exta real estate

maybe...but what i am planning.....is....i'd be upgrading my monitor to 22inches only when i'd be upgrading my cpu and gpu(5970 atleast)

cuz at this resolution i would like to maxout everything.....i cant play games with medium and low settings....i just dont like it.

except i had to play gta4 with high and medium settings... :( 
badly ported game......but games is amazing....there is no awesomeness of this awesomely awesome game :p 
Score
March 1, 2011 9:08:37 AM

werner123 said:
Well 1080p is becoming the norm now games and drivers are being optimized for 1080p when i got my 23" led monitor i expected a huge performance decrease with my 4850 1gb but i didn't, i only had to lower my anti-aliasing in some games but now all my games bar metro is running at max details with my 6850. Also 1440x900 is a awkward resolution for games for example people complained about fear 2 having black bars on the top and bottom of the screen, i also had that issue with my 19" but with my 23" 1080p monitor the bars are gone and running true widescreen. You wont be disappointed getting a 1080p screen

see these 1440x900 or 1280x1024 all these resolutions they work best only if they're the highest resolution.....

for example you've a 1440x900(max--native) resolution and you try to lower down the resolution to 1280x1024 for smooth gameplay... your graphics quality will degrade and you'll see lot of chopiness but if you play games on 1280x1024 resoltion in a monitor which has 1280x1024 as the highest resolution(native),,,,then you'll get the same clarity as which you are getting in 19 or 22" inches monitor..

makes sense....have your tried anything like this before??

if not....then try once..you'll see it yourself....

whatever monitor you have always play games in highest resolution and you'll get the best graphics...no choppiness no black lines..etc etc

now its time for me to sleep... its already 4:39pm..have to wake up early in the night...as i want to shop something tonight,,,,,ciaooooo bye

Score
March 1, 2011 10:13:27 PM

jaggies are noticable when u dont enable anti aliasing, thats the purpose of aa to get rid of jaggies :) 
Score
March 1, 2011 11:12:24 PM

iceclock said:
jaggies are noticable when u dont enable anti aliasing, thats the purpose of aa to get rid of jaggies :) 

by the way do you know any gpu.......with awesome power to get rid of jagginess?? :whistle: 
Score
March 2, 2011 3:08:43 AM

Im happy to see ppl are making less sense than the original poster.

a guy named PCGAMER asking if pc gaming is good or not.
and replies comparing machines to relationships...

my two pennies.. get a 3DS its like having a puppy!
Score
March 2, 2011 3:15:55 AM

rhsnipes said:
Im happy to see ppl are making less sense than the original poster.

a guy named PCGAMER asking if pc gaming is good or not.
and replies comparing machines to relationships...

my two pennies.. get a 3DS its like having a puppy!

that was for fun baby..... :bounce: 
Score
March 2, 2011 6:26:28 AM

werner123 said:
geforce 560ti, hd6950, 6970 and up

You mean even with a 22inches monitor?? :o 
Score
March 2, 2011 7:21:09 PM

somethimes, are egos clash, and are ego is larger than what are wallet can spend, no one really needs tri sli gtxs 580s, but some feel they need it to play on ultra mode or high res and everything maxed out, again its ego and not actually needed real world results, yes the potentiel is great in a tri sli 580 gtx setup but u wont even hit the optimal performance until games require that much performance,

and console gaming the problem is the consoles dont come with enought ram, so in certain games they choke, the next step in console gaming would be to have a cheap 60 gig ssd drive and more than a gig of ram with the current cheap market of ddr3, anyways that will be a while until that happens,

so for now im enjoying pc gaming even do its hard to find games at my local ebgames, and everything is *quote* on *quote online only gaming, even to validate a game u require internet, and people that dont have the net are stuck in the mud, i dont beleive in online validation, theres the good old days where u just stuck a serial code in the pc and it worked fine,

i beleive somethimes pc gaming is in a slump, i wish for better days honestly

because i dont want to be forced to spend extra money just to validate my damn games!

Score
March 2, 2011 11:31:23 PM

werner123 said:
well if you want to be certain that your fps does not drop yes, but other wise the 6870 or gtx460 will do. So you are getting a 22" monitor? performance from 1920x1080 to 1650x1050 is barely noticeable you might as well get a 1080p monitor

actually i am thinking of 19inches monitor :D  :bounce: 
Score
March 2, 2011 11:35:34 PM

iceclock said:
somethimes, are egos clash, and are ego is larger than what are wallet can spend, no one really needs tri sli gtxs 580s, but some feel they need it to play on ultra mode or high res and everything maxed out, again its ego and not actually needed real world results, yes the potentiel is great in a tri sli 580 gtx setup but u wont even hit the optimal performance until games require that much performance,

and console gaming the problem is the consoles dont come with enought ram, so in certain games they choke, the next step in console gaming would be to have a cheap 60 gig ssd drive and more than a gig of ram with the current cheap market of ddr3, anyways that will be a while until that happens,

so for now im enjoying pc gaming even do its hard to find games at my local ebgames, and everything is *quote* on *quote online only gaming, even to validate a game u require internet, and people that dont have the net are stuck in the mud, i dont beleive in online validation, theres the good old days where u just stuck a serial code in the pc and it worked fine,

i beleive somethimes pc gaming is in a slump, i wish for better days honestly

because i dont want to be forced to spend extra money just to validate my damn games!

Agreed and very well said. I've been playing pc games since I upgraded from my Atari 2600 console to a pc in the late 80s.
Dave
Score
March 6, 2011 10:43:40 PM

wow!!
Score
March 7, 2011 4:36:14 PM

Quote:
Well talking about WoW. I was bored lazying around in the WOW forums so I started talking about sex. Suddenly a mod jumped in and said OI! OI! We will have none of that here

lol
Score
March 8, 2011 11:18:42 AM

I would just point out on controls of the two.

Sometime back Microsoft started a platform where XBOX and PC players could play together online. However soon it was realized that PC gamers perform a lot better on average then XBOX player as the ease of controls which a keyboard gives can not be matched by a console controller and so soon that platform was discarded. And this is obvious too...

1. You do not have to hold keyboard in your hand, instead you can rest your hand on it.

2. you can use all your fingers and thumbs while playing. In console it is majorly your thumbs.

3. A mouse gives a lot better 3d movement as compared to a joystick.

4. Keyboard gives you much better options for setting up your controls according to your own preferred gaming style as compared to a console controller.

Score
March 8, 2011 5:25:27 PM

I've heard something about being able to attach your keyboard and mouse to xbox... Not sure if there is a legit way to do that.
Well, why not bring console to another level, let them have an option for keyboard and mouse? PC does have this support for xbox controller.

My friend keep trying to make me buy a xbox - not happening. I believe it is a waste of money. But that is because I like to work with computers, multitask and so on. Some people just prefer to keep it separate. Nothing wrong with that, If you can afford it.
Score
March 9, 2011 1:28:48 PM

pcgamer31 said:

You can use xbox controller with pc if necessary also
Score
March 10, 2011 12:36:06 PM

They wouldn't want you to play with Keyboard and Mouse. PS3 had done it for Unreal 3 and well, the results were obvious. Imagine playing K+M with the aimbot (uh, I mean aim-assist) that have been created for controllers. Results = total ownage with K+M.

For this to work, every game would have to be programmed to auto-turn off the aim assist if using K+M and even then, there are ways to fool the console so really, they're simply avoiding the whole nightmare if you ask me. As Asheesh was saying, it's also the reason why cross-platform gaming is no available ATM. Crysis 1 had a Multi-player setting that asked if you wanted to join a K+M game or stricly gamepad players...which wasn't a popular option if you ask me. Who would want to play FPS with controllers on PC???
Score
March 11, 2011 9:10:20 AM

??
Score
March 11, 2011 11:19:17 AM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
They wouldn't want you to play with Keyboard and Mouse. PS3 had done it for Unreal 3 and well, the results were obvious. Imagine playing K+M with the aimbot (uh, I mean aim-assist) that have been created for controllers. Results = total ownage with K+M.

For this to work, every game would have to be programmed to auto-turn off the aim assist if using K+M and even then, there are ways to fool the console so really, they're simply avoiding the whole nightmare if you ask me. As Asheesh was saying, it's also the reason why cross-platform gaming is no available ATM. Crysis 1 had a Multi-player setting that asked if you wanted to join a K+M game or stricly gamepad players...which wasn't a popular option if you ask me. Who would want to play FPS with controllers on PC???

I played Fallout 3 on the PC with a 360 controller and that worked fine. It's more of a casual shooter/RPG.

When it comes to real FPSs, there's no way I'd use anything but the keyboard mouse combo. Nothing beats the precision and feel of the gaming mouse when you dial down the DPI settings.
Score
March 11, 2011 1:16:22 PM

ubercake said:
I played Fallout 3 on the PC with a 360 controller and that worked fine. It's more of a casual shooter/RPG.

When it comes to real FPSs, there's no way I'd use anything but the keyboard mouse combo. Nothing beats the precision and feel of the gaming mouse when you dial down the DPI settings.

Agreed, I also used my XBOX controller for Fallout 3, AC, ME, etc. But when it comes to shooters, especially in Multiplayer, nothing beats the mouse for precision....or does it?
Score
!