help: toshiba satellite 2805-s402 freezes

G

Help!

I own Toshiba satellite 2805-s402. Since I must be brief, I will shortly describe the problem with this machine. If you play mp3 files (winamp or media player) and casually browse/scroll through web pages, the machine will lock up and will have to be powered down manually (graphics acceleration has to be set at maximum). Upon reboot, if you do the surface scan or your hard drive with scandisk, you will find a dead/unusable cluster on your drive.

If anyone out there owns a toshiba satellite 2805-s402 and experiences the same or a similar problem, please reply with a short message. Tell me what OS and software you use on the machine.

Maybe someone knows of a solution or a workaround ?

Yours,

-igor.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jingvarr on 09/14/01 11:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

It sounds like you are using Windows 98 or ME. If so, upgrade to 2000, or XP in October. That will most likely fix most of your problems. As far as the dead spot on hard drive, that may be a physically bad sector, and it may need to be replaced. First try something like Norton Utilities and see if it finds a problem. Ity can do alot of good stuff for ya.