Strange Installation Error?

G

Yesterday I tried installing Win2k on a new PC (Athlon 800, Geforce2MX,...). Everything went fine until it searched for the hardware. At about 3/5 of the progress (after the screen flickers) it suddenly stops, shows a blue screen, written in the top left corner: "Hardware malfunction. Please contact your hardware vendor. System halted."

What's that supposed to be? I tried removing as many hardware-components as possible (unplugged things like printer, cd-burner,...) and even put in the graphics card of the old computer instead of the new one, but the error still occurs.

I guess nobody will be able to tell me what the problem is as Windows doesn't say anything. That's what I'm wondering about - today everything should be as user-friendly as possible, then the installation of a program (in this case Win2k) just stops without saying what's wrong and without giving a chance to find out... Also the system runs fine to this point, but if the installation stops like that it has to be something vital. Very strange, indeed.

G

I had the same error, crash during hardware detect.
I eventually got past it, but I really don't know how.
I tried a PCI videocard, removing all hardware except my videocard and harddrive. That didn't work either.
I changed a few things in my BIOS, and then it worked. But I'm not sure that was the problem (and I don't know what I changed).

Keep trying :)

I have an ASUS A7V mobo (KT133 chipset). What's yours?

Shai

G

I am having the same problem on one of my PC's. Blank HD, Athlon 800 on an ASUS K7V with a Leadtek Geforce 32mb DDR, and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. I have tried stripping my NIC and disablingmy on board audio and running the ram at 100 instead of 133 but no dice. I change my vid card for a really basic pci card and this didn't make a difference either. Did you find a fix and if so PLEASE let me know.

G

Your system is almost the same as the one I had, I guess it has something to do with the motherboard, it can't be much else. I didn't find a fix for this problem, Win98SE installs without problem, upgrading from Win98SE right after installing it doesn't work either, so I saw no other choice than just using the old, unstable WIN98SE.

G

Been using WinME. Despite how everyone hates it I think it is great. I crashes a whole lot less then WIN98SE. I was trying to install Win2k so I could run a web server off my DSL.