Slow usb 2.0 transfer rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

llee8820

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
While running windows 7, I'm getting really slow usb 2.0 transfer rates 1.21MB/second. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

G

you're* ...and you're right, but unfortunately the problem seems to exist with the final release. Though it's not as bad as the beta, or Vista for that matter. Windows 7 is still awesome, and is my OS choice.

thefyn

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
I'm having a hard time backing up files. I have lots of large 1 gig files I need to transfer to an external 1t USB2 drive.

It starts out at a good clip, but then slows down to 0 then hovers back and forth bertween 0 and 2 m/s

I've tried installing Extreme copy pro etc but it still does not help. I have win 7 32 and I am on day 2 of trying to back up these damn files due to times outs etc.

I even thought it was my old external drive causing the problems but it also happens transferring files over my network to another PC, and the (muggins) new drive I bought today. :fou: :fou:

I'm not having any issues with USB hard drives nor with USB flash drives (although they're obviously slower than the hard drives are). Are you sure that your backup isn't getting into folders where there are lots of small files? That can slow things up quite significantly. The other thing to watch out for is other activity on either drive (the backup drive or the drive being backed up). Any other concurrent activity can slow the disk down dramatically.

Well the small files will be faster in terms of wall-clock time just because they're smaller. But in terms of MBytes/sec, they should be much slower than the larger files.

For example, it would take much longer to copy 1,000,000 files that contained 1K bytes each than it would to transfer one file containing 1GByte. Each of the small files would transfer very fast, but cumulatively the 1GByte of data in all of those small files would take considerably longer to copy than the same 1GByte of data in the large file.

milkytech

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

I have the same issue with the retail version of win7. no beta.
when transferring a 6gb file to a usb stick, it starts at around 18MB/sec then slows and settles in around 5.5MB/sec taking a total of around 20 minutes to transfer 6 gigs

foggysurf

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
i am having the EXACT same problem, but with Vista, and one MSFT recognized but offers no help!!

here is a clue in my situation: I can d/l files from my off-site FTP site directly to the external drive at full speed of my cable internet (~20MB/s), but if i try and copy and paste a large file (>100MB) from my main OS HDD to the external drive, i get 1.5 MB/s max :cry: :cry:

WTF!

i will offer a reward to the person that figures this fix out.

ptolomy_was_right

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Well have any of you experienced the sheer speed of usb transfer on UNIX-based systems? Linux and Mac deliver awesome speeds to and from my USB drives. In WIndows 7, as with other versions, the speed varies depending on CPU/RAM load and, more obviously, on the quality/max speed of the USB drive in question. I have a budget one, and a couple of better Kingston ones, and the difference is significant. Are any of you using professional-level hi-speed USB drives? Aside from that, sadly I think the problem lies with Windows STILL being horrendously inefficient and unreasonably demanding on system resources, which will affect USB transfer. Firewire...

foggysurf

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010

mine settles exactly at 1.5 MB/s

any luck figuring this one out??

Have you guys tried copying to a USB hard drive?

I'm suspecting that your speed might be due to your flash drives. A lot of USB flash drives are pretty slow. For example, MilkyTech's quote of 5.5MB/sec is quite a normal rate for flash drives, and there are plenty of slower ones around.

Are you copying files from one place to another on the external hard drive? That would also slow things down significantly since the heads would have to move back and forth. Combined with the relatively slow USB 2.0 protocol it could be pretty significant.

ptolomy_was_right

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Yeah me too... seems Win 7 x64 delivers. What the other guy said above is also true - 5ish MB/s is not particularly slow for a cheaper-end USB flash drive. Pro quality hi-speed drives will be significantly faster... so will USB hard-drives.

G

I have returned several external portable drives because of this issue. I have contacted both dell and microsoft about this issue..........................................NO DARN HELP WHATSOEVER. took me 45mins to transfer 10 movies on xp computer to portable drive. took 7HRS to do the same on windows 7 computer. Any help from anyone out there would really be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS