Sign in with
Your question

Information Technology

Tags:
Last response: in Work & Education
March 24, 2010 5:00:54 AM

Hey guys, had a couple question of people currently or has experience with information technology career field.

I know I want to major in computer science, information technology. I want to be able to take part in projects in integrating schools, small business in going wireless is what I am looking toward to, and then being able to maintain them.

Currently I work at Comcast as a tier 1 agent, basically helping with basic Comcast internet. I don't know how well that is 'considered' help desk exp anyone able to comment on that specifically?

Also, as far as certs go, I don't have any at the moment, it's only now that I finally matured and know what I want to do as a career. It's just the route is what is I am deciding on.

I know I can take classes for CCNA at my community college and then take the necessary exam for the certs. I know I need exp, hopefully my current position at Comcast counts a small bit as helpdesk. But what I don't know is will I also need an actual degree like a B.A. in computer science if I wanted to make myself worth anything in the job market?

Also does anyone have any comments comparing technical schools like (itt tech, devry, university of phoenix) versus taking a traditional route community college for A.S. and going to a University for 4 years for a B.A. in Computer Science. Basically how do those degrees compare in the job market against one another?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, because at the moment I am so torn between the two routes.

More about : information technology

April 17, 2010 3:01:26 PM

hello,
i read your all post, & i would like to coment or sugest you some ways. i hope that it may helpful for you.
your actual question is (how do those degrees compare in the job market against one another?)
there is diffrent Ways to Market Your Liberal Arts Degree but this ten will be the best & helpful for everyone.
Let's face it; liberal-arts degrees get a bum rap. Everyone wants to know what in the world you're going to be able to do with that philosophy or history or literature degree. There's lots of material out there about why it's a great idea to major in liberal arts, as well as information on how to choose a career that maximizes your liberal-arts degree. But there's not much written about how to actually market your degree to employers.

There's some disagreement among experts and pollsters about the importance of one's major to employers, but the prevailing opinion is that -- with the exception of some highly specialized and technical fields -- the degree is much more important to employer than what you majored in. That's great news for liberal-arts grads.

Let's assume you're pretty close to graduation and thus, it's probably way too late to change majors (and heck, you wouldn't want to anyway). It's also probably too late to pick up a business minor. Let's assume you have some idea of what you'd like to do for a living -- even if you're not sure whether your liberal-arts degree will take you there. Having participated in internships certainly could boost your currency and help you sell that liberal-arts degree. But let's say that you didn't partake in any internships. Let's say you have to market yourself to employers as a liberal-arts grad virtually on the strength of the degree alone. This article will give you some ideas of how to do that.

The Value of a Liberal-Arts Education
"I strongly believe in the value of a liberal arts college education. The liberal arts include political science, English, history, philosophy, and related fields. Liberal arts classes tend to focus on ideas and how to handle them, and the courses are organized around reading books, having discussions, and composing papers. The liberal arts curriculum aims to help students achieve two things: 1) to teach them how to think critically, or how to build intellectual muscles that allow them to analyze and organize ideas, and 2) to broaden their understanding of the world by having them grapple with underlying principles and issues that are behind the challenges facing society and themselves. There is a myth that liberal arts degrees do not lead to any jobs, but this is quite untrue. Liberal arts degrees are great preparation for careers in business, teaching, journalism, law, the arts, and many other careers. I would say that liberal arts training is an important preparation for anyone who wants to be a leader in society ... Looking to the future, I believe that liberal arts training will be even more valuable as American jobs will be increasingly information age jobs where people will be required to effectively manage ideas and information. Liberal arts grads will have the ability to adapt and re-train themselves to take advantage of opportunities that arise in our increasingly dynamic global economy."
-- Timothy Landhuis, a political-science grad interviewed on the Web site of his alma mater, Cal State Easy Bay.

"Liberal arts majors and business majors have different strengths, and both are appropriate for management consulting positions. Liberal arts majors, particularly those in the quantitative or analytic liberal arts (economics, statistics, psychology, life sciences, etc.) have excellent problem solving skills, and are able to frame a problem, consider options and make reasoned decisions based on investigation. Graduates in those areas have been taught how to learn, how to analyze problems and how to use reasoning to reach conclusions. While they may not know the context or language of the business world, they are intelligent and flexible enough to learn quickly.

Business graduates have a more pragmatic approach, and come with relevant studies and knowledge. They know the framework, past precedents and current issues, so they are able to step into a position and perform quickly. As they expend their experience, they are able to apply relevant knowledge to specific business situations and recognize the patterns.

My caveat for liberal arts majors is that they will have to work very hard initially to bridge the knowledge gap with business students, but once they have, they can be talented performers. My caveat for business graduates is that they realize that their education has given them enough knowledge to paint situations with broad strokes, but they need to be flexible to new, untested approaches."
-- John S. Logan, Human Resources Manager, ZS Associates, Princeton, NJ

"A liberal arts education liberates minds and prepares leaders. It emphasizes undergraduate education, high academic standards, and freedom of thought and inquiry. Liberal arts students are exposed to a wide range of ideas, both popular and unpopular."
-- Web page of the School of Liberal Arts, Georgia College & State University

"The Liberal Arts are in great demand. They are a part of every student's curriculum because Liberal Arts' skills and understanding are essential to business, government, science, and, indeed, to all intelligent human endeavors. They not only prepare one for the job market, they make life worthwhile.

"The Liberal Arts are the humanities and social sciences, and intelligence and wonder are their springboards. Wondering what causes human societies and cultures to flourish or decline, leads to the study of Anthropology, Economics, Geography, History, Political Science, and Sociology. These disciplines enable us to learn from the past, understand the present, and build hope for the future. Wondering about the human predicament, global cultures, and the stirring eloquence of literature, leads to the study of Communication, English, Foreign Languages, Philosophy, and Religion. These disciplines enable us to write and speak clearly and effectively, to analyze the human condition, and to give expression and understanding to our culture and individuality."
-- Dean of the Indiana University School of Liberal Arts, quoted on the school's Web site

"We have an incredibly good sales force, and we're looking for liberal arts people who have a broad background and are not afraid to get up in front of a crowd of medical students at Yale or Harvard and tell them why they should buy Welch-Allyn products. People that can think on their feet, that have a good sense of humor, that have enough knowledge that they can communicate the benefits of our products to our customers. There we look for liberal arts people."
-- William Allyn, president of Welch Allyn Inc., and chairman and CEO of Welch Allyn Ventures LLC, quoted by Carol Boll in LeMoyne College Magazine

"What is most needed in management today is the ability to think independently and creatively; to function in an imperfect, changing, and ambiguous environment; to make decisions when all the data required to solve the problem are lacking; to negotiate and compromise; to be risk-seeking and entrepreneurial, not to rely on quantitative and analytical data; to recognize short- and long-term implications; to avoid the obvious and solely subjective; to develop effective working relations with peers; to motivate people and resolve conflicts; and to establish effective informational networks. These are all abilities fostered by the liberal arts."
-- Arthur F. (Skip) Oppenheimer, A Businessman Looks at the Values of Liberal Arts, ADE Bulletin

"John Urheim '62 is the chief executive of a technology firm in Colorado. He reports that he is often asked, 'What's a liberal arts graduate doing running a high-tech company?' His response is, 'Who better than a liberal arts graduate?' John says that the liberal arts prepared him to think clearly and to understand the relationships between science, market forces, and human behavior. He is prepared to learn and adjust to the unexpected."
-- Leslie H. Garner Jr., The Vitality of the Liberal Arts at Cornell College

"The liberal arts are more than bodies of subject matter -- history, philosophy, literature, mathematics, science, or the social sciences. They are more than vast quantities of information. At their best in the college classroom, they constitute the living legacy of the great thinkers and doers in our -- and the world's -- civilization. In the classrooms of dynamic professors, the liberal arts connect learning to life. Mere note taking will not do; there must be debate, discussion dialogue among students and faculty; students must learn to defend and communicate their thoughts and beliefs, in well-argued oral and written discourse. Every career is enriched by such an education."
-- Dr. Thomas R. McDaniel, senior vice president at Converse College, The Practicality of a Liberal Arts Education, published in the Chattanooga Times Free Press and on the Converse Web site

"Liberal arts education is the knowledge matrix of the global competitive environment. With its cultivation of scientific, social and cultural literacy, it prepares the student for an increasingly diverse and complex world. With its development of critical and analytical skills, it prepares the student to grasp the direction of the changes that sweep over us. It is the education that mirrors the world in which we live and shapes the leaders we require."
-- Richard J. Scaldini, Making the Case for Liberal Education, excerpted from the Cleveland Plain Dealer, July 9, 2002, and published on the Web site of the Association of American Colleges and Universities

1. Say It Loud: You're Liberally Educated and Proud
2. Sell Your Passion
3. Sharpen Your Focus
4. Your Skills: Know Them, Embrace Them, Market Them
5. Give Your Skills a Little Boost
6. Let Your Resume Sing the Praises of a Liberal-Arts Education
7. Enlist Your Cover Letter in Portraying the Applicability of Your Skills
8. Consider a Portfolio
9. Give Job Interview Responses a Liberal-Arts Spin
10. Ask Yourself if You'd Be More Marketable with Grad School
For more plz :-
Sample Resume