Sign in with
Your question
Solved

StarCraft 2 where to start...

Last response: in Video Games
February 13, 2011 1:32:53 AM

Ive played the old star craft years ago and just purchased sc2 and would like to eventually become competitive online again, can anyone suggest how to learn all the classes quickly, should I go through the whole campaign or should I jump right in multiplayer and learn the hard way? What are people experience with this game?

More about : starcraft start

February 13, 2011 5:53:50 AM

start playing 5 hours a day if u wanna get good , gaming is dedication u cant get ur skills back that easy at starcraft ur gonna have to be patient, but if u are the pay is well worth the effort
m
l
February 13, 2011 7:54:01 AM

Use the custom AI games to practice first, I bought the game but have never been very good on RTS online, still play single player
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2011 3:22:25 PM

thanks for your replies any other suggestions?
m
l
February 13, 2011 8:15:48 PM

Yep, Campaign is a excellent way to start.
m
l
February 15, 2011 6:19:44 AM

play the campaign and then play against the computer in multiplayer AI. once u feel that u r realy good (like u can handle 3 AI enemies in a 4 player map, xD) go on line, show wa u got and maybe join a good clan.
m
l

Best solution

February 15, 2011 8:44:25 AM

jjb8675309 said:
Ive played the old star craft years ago and just purchased sc2 and would like to eventually become competitive online again, can anyone suggest how to learn all the classes quickly, should I go through the whole campaign or should I jump right in multiplayer and learn the hard way? What are people experience with this game?

The campaign will only teach you how to play Terran and a bit of Protoss, and quite badly at that. Start playing online as soon as you can. You get 50 practise matches on Battle.net before you get placed in a league. These matches are played at a slower pace on novice maps (starting position is blocked off by rocks, so no early rushes). Use the matches to gain experience and try different things. Eventually, you will be placed in a league based on your performance.

Let me share some advice I learned the hard way:

1) Pick a side and stick to it, at least for starters . Only the really top players can claim to have mastered all three races. Learn the units, their strengths and weaknesses, and how to counter the various enemy units.
2) Once you've decided on a side, go to the forums and have a read through the build orders for your race. Get some good starting builds and practise them until you can do them in your sleep. The first 5 minutes of any game are crucial.
3) If you do use the AI as practise, play against hard opponents, don't go easy on yourself. The PC will rush early, meaning you have to get your starting build just right in order to survive. This is good preparation for what happens in most online matches.
4) Human opponents are devious. Learn common strategies and how to counter them. Example: I got owned last night in a 2v2 match because one Protoss opponent tech'ed up to Dark Templars, and we were caught napping.

Hope this helps. Have fun, and remember to invite your buddies as well. 2v2 and 3v3 matches are crazy!
February 15, 2011 11:41:15 AM

wanna be the best? then you have to learn how the best play.
Step 1
go to youtube and search for StarCraft 2 Husky. He has videos of some of the best and not so best players out there. Learn the tactics, know what a good build order is, know each units weakness and strenghs...and keep watching the videos.

Step 2
Start playing the game against the AI first so you can learn the hot keys
Play only 1 race at this point in time and get really good at it.
If you can beat 2+ AIs in a vs mode you are ready to play competitively

Step 3
Play the game online and it will rank you according to you skill level. Since you are now an expert at the game and a master at your race you will be placed at a higher level than the noobs.
Next prepare to loose and learn what mistakes you made.
Last enjoy the game and get some sleep.

m
l
February 15, 2011 1:41:14 PM

Best answer selected by jjb8675309.
m
l
February 15, 2011 1:41:47 PM

thanks everybody for the great advice and sorry I can only give 1 best answer, I really appreciate everyones input
m
l
!