Intel to AMD upgrade

G

Pentium 3 500mhz
Dell's remake on intel's 440BX/ZX (most bios disabled)
256mb pc100 ram

I want to sell the P3 and the ram. Probably on ebay? Anyone have experience with ebay? And also, how much you think that I could get for the P3 and how much for the ram? The ram is two dimms.

What I want to get is a Duron 800 or anything near that, duron prices are really good. And what motherboard you suggest? I'm guessing the Asus A7V133 or abit's counterpart? I do need the onboard sound from the Asus or I need to by a new soundcard. Which is best for overclocking? I'd also need to replace the ram with 256mb pc133. I’m trying to spend as little as I can, hence the duron and pc133 ram (DDR is just too expensive). I also wouldn’t mind still using my pc100 ram I have now but I want to know what kind of performance I’d gain using pc133 ram with the duron. Any suggestions or any comments really welcome.

G

Forgot to mention, since my pc was made by dell, it has things different, like a weird case and stuff. I just want to make sure that my case now can house the new motherboard. Here a diagram of the motherboard I have now.
http://support.dell.com/docs/systems/dkub/techovu.htm
if you don't get to that html let me know and I can give you the info on that page. I hope the layout of my motherboard isn't different from normal specs of motherboards.

G

just checked, my power supply is 200 watts so I will need to get a new power supply if not a new case as well. I doubt I will be able to sell my motherboard. I still need to know if selling my stuff on ebay is a good idea and how much I could get for them.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok I have alot of expeirance with ebay.....you will get a good price for the p3...the the ram is another story its selling dirt cheap these days. Make sure you end your auction on a weekend and you will fetch a better price. Your case appears to be a standard atx desktop case and you could just simply upgrade the power supply if you wanted to keep it. I suggest a better case with more room and better possibilies for cooling howeber.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

Thx for the info Ncogneto. I'm a little wurry about selling stuff on ebay, just new for me. I'll have to read up on it for sure. Purhaps you could suggest what I should set the basic bid to and how much the minimum raise in bid should be. I may end up just using my pc100 ram with my duron if the performance wouldn't be too bad from using pc133 instead. I posted in the memory section on that too.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
for the p3 and the tnt2 I would start the minimum bid at a buck, don't sweat it you will get a good price. better to start low and get peoples competitive juices flowing. They tend to get discourage when a seller starts an item off high. but it is quite a different scenario when they get outbid by someone else :) the rasies are implemented by ebay you won't have to concern yourself with that issue. And don't be suprised to see your item not recieve hardly any attention at all until the last day or even the last 5 minutes, that is when things beging to roll. btw I am ebay user id oldmarbs check my feedback and all the crap I have bought.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

I'm kinda scared of that scenrio, what if it is the last day and someone buys it for 5 bucks? I see people selling ram for 1 buck and the bid goes up to $80 so I see what you mean. I will most likely sell the tnt2 and P3 500 for more profit on ebay then at the local computer shop right?
Oh and, Ncogneto, thx for replying with excamples to my other post about ebay. That's a huge help. I am really leaning towards going through with it. Most of my fears about selling on ebay have gone down a little. Does ebay charge for transactions?