Sign in with
Your question

Campaign issues w/ Combat Flight Simulator 3

Last response: in Video Games
February 13, 2011 3:15:06 PM

:pt1cable:  Let me preface my query w/ some explanation. I am a 64 year old professional engineer, a retired private pilot and a crazy fan of Combat Flight Simulator (I, I & III) [I did say I was a pilot, right?]. Whatever you think of the MS Borg, these games, IMHO, are the best for my money, So, here's the question: out of the clear clear blue sky over Europe, my game decides that I have enough characters and non-verbally refuses to "save" any new pilots. MS stopped supporting these games long ago. I have tried removing the game & re-installing it; adding new pilot's names to the "My Documents" file where the game's progress is stored, etc. All to no avail. Myu system is a home brewed quad core AMD rig w/ Gigabyte MB, three multi-gig SATA hd's, 4 gigs of 800 Mhz RAM, a heat sink that will A/C my PC room, Win XP home ed w/ all updates, Direct X latest & a Logitech Wingman Extreme Pro 3 controller. Is there any one on this forum who has experienced similar problems and has cured them?

More about : campaign issues combat flight simulator

February 14, 2011 11:40:58 AM

Interesting; I've played CFS2 without issues [almost, anyways], but haven't finished, so I can't comment on CFS3...What do you mean by "new pilots"; are you talking about individual pilots within a campaign?
m
l
February 14, 2011 3:05:03 PM

What I mean that I can create a new character (pilot), fly any number of missions, save them per the existing protocol (Do you want to save your progress?) and them exit the game. However, upon restarting the game, and "continuing the campaign", the pilot that I created and all of the missions that I've flown w/ that character are AWOL. They do not exist. I have located the directory in my "Documents" where CFS 3 stores my progress in my various existing character's campaigns and there ain't nuthin new there. I have even attempted to "force" the program to take a new character by creating a new folder for same, just like the program used to do. NADA. ZIP. I'm getting tired of flying new missions with old characters. I have even posted to an on-line gamers site for help. NADA. ZIP. :pt1cable: 
m
l
Related resources
February 14, 2011 4:27:00 PM

yes. twice. And I will not reformat my HD's.
m
l
February 15, 2011 10:56:56 AM

Too many pilots maybe? Might be built into the game...

Only way to really test is to remove a pilot profile and see if it saves a new one...
m
l
February 15, 2011 11:10:19 AM

Haven't played Flight Combat 3 in quite a while, and it was normally the multiplayer part. I'd have to install the game to know what you're talking about personally, hopefully it installs because Flight Combat 2 won't anymore for some reason.
m
l
February 15, 2011 2:06:13 PM

gamerk316 & dalta centauri: I have attempted removing a "pilot"and, surprise, surprise, no change. It would appear that this is a cruel "Bill Gates" trick to require an upgrade to CFS 4, only it doesn't exist or even isn't a glimmer in the eyes of the creators of CFS 3. Tom's Hardware is far more responsive that the "gamer" board that I asked the same questions. I still have not heard from them after two weeks. I would attempt to eliminate the folder in "My Documents" where the game places (OK, "stores") progress of my various characters, but I'm deathly ( read here potentially blue language angry if it fails) afraid that it will some how PERMANENTLY screw up my ability to add ANY characters after I have given the folder the deep six. What I remain hopeful for is the experience of someone else who has (1) experienced the same glitch and (2) solved it.
m
l
February 15, 2011 3:48:09 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
Just move the character profile folder somewhere else. Don't delete it.

oldmangamer_73: Are you sure that will work?In other words , have you beta tested your theory on your own PC? :pt1cable: 
m
l
February 27, 2011 12:03:43 AM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
You are basically just moving the "saved game folder" that the game uses. When you start a new game and save, it should create another folder. If not, then just make a new empty folder with the same name as the one you moved. This is just a test, that's why I told you to move it and not delete all your saved games.

Oldmangamer:
I did what you suggested. Moved the CFS 3 folder in "My Documents" and placed it in another HD. Then I un-installed the game and re-installed it. I then attempted to save my new Pilot. and followed the windows instructions to the letter. And closed out CFS 3. Then I opened the game again and voila', no pilot of any kind. Somehow the game is making the new CFS 3 folder in "My Documents" a "do not save" folder. Frankly, I'm stumped. I have not moved the "old" folder back to it's original position. But it looks like Micro Squish wins again.
m
l
February 27, 2011 7:48:08 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
That is very odd for it suddenly stop working like that. Try moving your old save game folder back, replacing the NEW folder the re-install created in My Documents.

Oldmangamer_73: That's exactly what I did after I messaged you. The game works again, just with the "old" pilots. Still zero new pilots are being saved. I guess that Micro squish wins again; only they offer no CFS 4!
m
l
March 6, 2011 2:17:44 PM

Best answer selected by engrbill47.
m
l
March 27, 2011 6:07:01 AM

Don't know if this will help any. I ran into something of the same problem. I'm running CFS3 on a Vista 64 machine. My Campaign saves were being stored under [MyName]>Documents>Combat Flight Simulator 3.0>Campaigns>saved>fortress europa. I was going nuts because I couldn't get any new campaigns to save either. I think part of the problem was that I deleted the folders using my windows explorer rather than the Delete Campaign option on the campaign screen in the game itself. It was kind of strange because the folders with my pilot names were still there but nothing was in them, and nothing showed up on the Campaign screen in the game. Anyway, I deleted everything under the "saved" folder mentioned above, and lo and behold I was able to save new campaigns.
m
l
August 12, 2011 12:33:17 PM

engrbill47 said:
:pt1cable:  Let me preface my query w/ some explanation. I am a 64 year old professional engineer, a retired private pilot and a crazy fan of Combat Flight Simulator (I, I & III) [I did say I was a pilot, right?]. Whatever you think of the MS Borg, these games, IMHO, are the best for my money, So, here's the question: out of the clear clear blue sky over Europe, my game decides that I have enough characters and non-verbally refuses to "save" any new pilots. MS stopped supporting these games long ago. I have tried removing the game & re-installing it; adding new pilot's names to the "My Documents" file where the game's progress is stored, etc. All to no avail. Myu system is a home brewed quad core AMD rig w/ Gigabyte MB, three multi-gig SATA hd's, 4 gigs of 800 Mhz RAM, a heat sink that will A/C my PC room, Win XP home ed w/ all updates, Direct X latest & a Logitech Wingman Extreme Pro 3 controller. Is there any one on this forum who has experienced similar problems and has cured them?

bill,
i am also old jet combat flight sim avid player, like f-14, f-15, f-16, f-19, (mostly micro prose) and I can not find anything like those that work with Seven OS. Most pc Flight sims are WW II, nothing modern. Are you using old PCs with older OS? Any thoughts?
S
m
l
!