Sign in with
Your question
Closed

IE 9 Beta

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2010 9:04:02 PM

Anyone else having problems with IE9 Beta and the forum? I am having problems with emoticons and text out of place. Just thought I would share if the Windows team people were watching.
Emoticons do not want to go where I put them they want to default to the front of a sentence and text that ends up underlined withh randomly switch places in a sentence.
Also my biggest gripe is the favorites list....give me the option of putting the list back on a drop down menu like in all the older versions. I like the new features but not how you have to get to favorites.

More about : beta

a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2010 1:26:37 AM

I suppose that is the sort of feedback they are looking for with the beta.
I tied it for a little while before I reinstalled W7 so that it's on one drive and done away with Vista.
Like you, I'm not impressed with the new favorites setup and I'm not in a hurry to install it again. Maybe it will be better at final release.
Score
September 24, 2010 1:49:59 AM

Im having the text out of place issue randomly, but I have noticed a sluggish load time of pages. In addition i had issues with itunes windows 7 (error 998) i had to delete the entire family of aapplications using revo uninstaller before i got it to work correctly.
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 24, 2010 11:12:11 PM

You can't get the menu bar to display permanently in Windows 7 home premium either.Keep having to press Alt is a pain. I hope the final release fixes this
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 24, 2010 11:17:37 PM

Menu bar is pretty much redundant in Windows 7 anyway... you can access most common functions through the command bar. It's more useful in Windows XP, since for some reason Windows Update doesn't appear in the command bar menus.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2010 12:06:04 AM

^ Yep just like that.

I actually still mostly use IE although I can see that changing soon. Back to Firefox or Chrome I go.

I realize it's still in early beta but so far I do not like it.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2010 8:56:59 PM

Favorites are still in a drop down list... at least they are for me...

So far I have to say I like it... it's not often MS takes the minimalist approach when it comes to their software.
Score
September 26, 2010 1:44:46 AM

Having no problems with IE9 so far , curious to see what it will look like when the final release comes out.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 26, 2010 2:17:30 AM

Zoron said:
Favorites are still in a drop down list... at least they are for me...

So far I have to say I like it... it's not often MS takes the minimalist approach when it comes to their software.

Yeah they are for me as well I guess I misspoke. What I was trying to say is I don't like where they are. I want the favorites back by the other tools. I am slowly getting used to it now and it is growing on me.
I like the minimalist approach as well just a few nit picky things I would change. Hopefully they will be fixed by final build.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 26, 2010 4:30:19 AM

have been using IE9 for a few days now, and seems to be getting slower, and have found a lot of web pages it won't open, Opera will, been saving them in a folder, when I uninstall 9 and go back to 8, I'll try those pages again
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 26, 2010 8:11:41 AM

Went back to IE8, can't tell if 9 was faster, opens pages that 9 was having issues with, it was a beta and it'll be interesting to see if it changes much when they release it next year
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 26, 2010 8:03:40 PM

IE 9 seems faster when it comes to playing embedded content or stuff like YouTube and Quicktime trailers. I haven't come across any pages yet that it doesn't like... so hopefully I'll continue to have good luck. MS stated that IE 9 will be their most standard-compliant browser ever. Let's hope they stick to that.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 26, 2010 11:08:02 PM

Yea they signed the agreement to adhere one set of HTML codes a few years ago, and promptly broke it, then they turned the music servers off, so I don't believe anything they say
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 27, 2010 1:34:38 AM

The more I use it the more I actually like it. Seems like if I would just read my own thread I might learn something about pressing Alt. to make the menu bar appear with favorites just where they used to be. Thanks for that mibix19. I can't find a way to make it permanant though.
I am pretty sure the rest of the compatability issues are due to it being early beta. About time IE got hardware acceleration.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 27, 2010 5:23:37 AM

to keep the menu's displayed, go to your Windows Explorer, in the top left is Oranize>Folder and Search Options>View make sure Always show Menu's is checked, it changes the display for all Explorers
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 27, 2010 6:09:03 AM

^
I had my fingers crossed for that one but no dice in IE 9. I really had not thought of that either. Oh well, good try.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 27, 2010 11:42:51 AM

It worked for me, all my menu's were there, admitadly not where you were used to them being
Score
September 27, 2010 11:49:52 AM

Been using IE9 Beta for a little over a week. I haven't gone to a page that doesn't work yet. I don't mind the menu's being "hidden" I use the Favorites (Bookmarks) Bar for all the pages I go to. Also have the 64-bit version.

Current OS/Hardware:
Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
i7-930, Gigabit UD3R mobo
8 GB of RAM
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
September 27, 2010 12:33:09 PM

To turn on menus permanently, try this. It worked for me (eventually). You might also like to try changing a few of the toolbars to tailor the UI to your liking.
a b $ Windows 7
September 27, 2010 8:31:38 PM

Ijack said:
To turn on menus permanently, try this. It worked for me (eventually). You might also like to try changing a few of the toolbars to tailor the UI to your liking.

Sweet! That is what I was looking for. I hope that you do not have to download a registry tweak in the release version. Great find.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 27, 2010 9:06:09 PM

Well - it's a beta, so you can report it as a concern.
Score
September 27, 2010 9:24:31 PM

IE9 beta has stopped working on my computer for some reason I have yet to try and solve. Crashes on opening. Probably something to do with a recent Windows Update. It was cool while it worked.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 27, 2010 9:33:27 PM

You definitely want to report that one to Microsoft.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 27, 2010 10:03:41 PM

Good link ijack for the menu fix.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 28, 2010 7:50:42 AM

Best answer selected by anort3.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 28, 2010 9:24:55 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey