Closed

Battlefield 3!

So im officially all excited about Battlefield 3 as EA are finally releasing info on the game.
I have stuck some intersting links below but it sounds like this is actually going to be a worthy sequel to BF2 especially on the PC. \o/
I think the best bits so far are, PC gets 64 player maps (consoles 24ish), prone is back, jets are back (hurrah!) and 4 of the best maps from BF2 are being ported over as DLC (no word of Kubra Dam tho)
There is supposed to be a preview on March 1st at the Game Development Conference (GDC) so expect some video footage shortly afterwards :)

Some of the info may be repeated across the various sites, if so sorry about that.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/03/march-cover-revealed-battlefield-3.aspx
http://www.battlefield3.biz/ - lotsa info
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/11/dice-interview-building-battlefield-3.aspx - DICE interview regarding BF3 development
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/02/08/battlefield-3-scans-appear/
http://enterbf3.com/viewforum.php?f=1 - plus a fanboy forum

Now to start saving up so I can upgrade my PC when it's released as BF3 deserves only the best hardware ^^
27 answers Last reply
More about battlefield
  1. +1

I was a huge BF2 fan and played countless hours...then switched to COD because BFBC series didn't do it for me. It'll be a nice change from the COD series...which I'm getting quite tired of quite frankly.
  2. I'm looking forward to it but am debating on whether I want to buy it on PS3 or xbox just because I seem to have more problems with mulitplayer on PS3 than on Xbox Live.
  3. One of my favorite games getting a sequel? Yes please.

Probably have to get a new comp though.. Looks taxing.
  4. Anyone have any hints on possible release dates?
  5. Jazzmain said:
    I'm looking forward to it but am debating on whether I want to buy it on PS3 or xbox just because I seem to have more problems with mulitplayer on PS3 than on Xbox Live.

Just limited to 24 people though. Dedicated servers has its advantages after all :D
  6. OK updates from GDC!!

http://www.destructoid.com/gdc-11-battlefield-3-is-easily-the-best-looking-fps-yet-195425.phtml

We now have a 2:30min video to dribble over, looks a bit ghost recon'y?
    Part 2 of the video in 2 weeks, and BF3 is scheduled for an Autumn release so maybe some beta access in the early summer?
    (PC will be the ultimate version btw...)

HooRaaa
  7. I was a huge BF2 player...switched to COD4/MW2/Black Ops...and I've got a feeling I'll be going back to the BF series when this game launches. It looks sick! I like that they're going back to the roots of BF2 (and none of the crap they put in BFBC series).

As for SP, I loved the campaign in Medal of Honor (much better than Black Ops). If they can replicate this experience in BF3 with the new Engine, it'll be AMAZING!
  8. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/291510/previews/battlefield-3-has-cod-finally-met-its-match/

Im wishing the upcoming summer away just so I can get my hands on this damn game!
  9. Looks nice. I think jets are out of place in this series though - they should concentrate more on IFVs and light/transport helicopters... amphibious units and maybe some light naval units.
  10. Varis you just made me a bit sad, Battlefield needs its jet combat and apache tank killers, its the variety in the game which makes it so awesome. Would love to see the Chinook from battlefield vietnam make another appearance, was great picking up a tank and dropping it behind enemy lines to cause some havoc ;)
  11. Varis, you played BF2? If not, try it and I'm sure your opinion about Jets will change. It's all about the Rock/Paper/Scissors in this game which I found was missing in BF:BC series. The jets MUST comeback to balance the game.

Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be a fair amount of Anti-Air Tank and AA utilities to take 'em down.
  12. Quote:
    Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be a fair amount of Anti-Air Tank and AA utilities to take 'em down.

Yeah, AA in BF2 STUNK. As long as Jets die easily to AA, I don't have a problem with them. I'm just worried that we'll have a return to the days on one good Jet pilot being able to win a match by himself.

Two new facts I've heard:
    1) No commanders (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo!)
    2) Animations to enter/exit vehicles [no insta-jump out of a soon to be dead tank]
  13. Alex and Captain: Yes I played BF2 extensively and I was also pretty good with the jets. Yes it's fun to strafe some helpless infantry and tanks, but bombs were a bit of a let go and miss, not to mention that infantry has a hard time retaliating, even with AA. High-speed jets which are designed to be supersonic and maneuver and engage against an enemy beyond visual range just don't fit in a game that is mostly about army (more than half of that being infantry) close combat. It makes the game disconnected, and the action is less intense. If you like fighter jets you should get a jet combat game because those could offer much more to you.

If you pay attention to what I said and what I didn't, it's obvious I'm asking for more variety, not less. For starters, I didn't say anything about attack helos and I think the same repertoaire we've seen in previous titles is fine. They are much slower to begin with and the close air support role goes nicely with the theme of the game. The same for the ground attack jets from the expansions, since those are much slower and more vulnerable to AA units, they have their place. But there's lots of interesting lighter units that could easily be added, because they don't become overpowered against infantry like tended to happen with many vehicles in BF2. For example, many transport helos like Mi-8 fit rockets, cannons, anti-tank missiles and the like so why don't they put those in the game? Take a look at strategy games like Steel Panthers II and you'll see there's an interesting variety of units on the modern battlefield, not just the top-tier units with a preset weapon configuration.

Bad Company 2 shows that the fights are more intense if you leave out say the high-speed jets, but I'm not entirely happy about vehicle balance there either. Kinda have to search for the optimum :)

Not to mention some big design faults in the whole series... baseraping and the people with fastest loading puters getting into all the juicy vehicles etc.

And yes, rock-paper-scissors isn't the holy grail of game design because it'd mean many units just avoid engagements. For example, BC2 gives lots of AT weaponry (also useful against helos) to infantry so they are almost on an equal footing against vehicles, which in some respects does improve gameplay.
  14. varis said:
    Alex and Captain: Yes I played BF2 extensively and I was also pretty good with the jets. Yes it's fun to strafe some helpless infantry and tanks, but bombs were a bit of a let go and miss, not to mention that infantry has a hard time retaliating, even with AA. High-speed jets which are designed to be supersonic and maneuver and engage against an enemy beyond visual range just don't fit in a game that is mostly about army (more than half of that being infantry) close combat. It makes the game disconnected, and the action is less intense. If you like fighter jets you should get a jet combat game because those could offer much more to you.

Most likely, there may be a way to restrict certain vehicles. I would like to see the feature, although certain maps may rely on aircraft and naval units over ground units for one team. The one big problem was: People storm to get an aircraft, whether their good at it or not. While every aircraft may be taken, the good pilots are stuck on the ground taking points by themselves.

@gamerk
    It'll be fresh to see how they replace battle commander with an AI style system. I would say it could be greater then relying on a teamate, but it all comes down to how well it does. An animation to get in and out of vehicles is quite a treat though, disliked the idea (Even when doing so myself) of simply hopping out of vehicles as a rocket impacts them and takes a second to explode.
  15. Ahh lovely some BF debate ;)

PC gamer summed it up quite well I thought -
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/09/10-things-we-want-to-see-in-battlefield-3/

Point 1 - Great! (who knows it may actually work)
    Point 3 - DEFINITELY!! (this is what made BF2 awesome)

BF2 maps were BIG, they needed jets.
    Make the AA emplacements actually work and jets have a hard time. I played mainly as infantry with a mate on teamspeak flying a jet. Was awesome calling him in for backup and smashing the tank that thought you were pinned down . Teamplay! Was also good fun jumping in the bomber with him, he would line me up and I would deploy that tankbuster and make people sad.
    Commander - I found everyone ignored and it looks like DICE have binned it anyway.

I wouldn't mind seeing some BF Vietnam features as well. First thing I would do is fly to enemy airbase and cut their control towers down, they would lose their air combat and advantage to my team :) Plus you could play awesome music flying into battle!
  16. Captainhero said:
    Ahh lovely some BF debate ;)

PC gamer summed it up quite well I thought -
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/09/10-things-we-want-to-see-in-battlefield-3/

Point 1 - Great! (who knows it may actually work)
    Point 3 - DEFINITELY!! (this is what made BF2 awesome)

BF2 maps were BIG, they needed jets.
    Make the AA emplacements actually work and jets have a hard time. I played mainly as infantry with a mate on teamspeak flying a jet. Was awesome calling him in for backup and smashing the tank that thought you were pinned down . Teamplay! Was also good fun jumping in the bomber with him, he would line me up and I would deploy that tankbuster and make people sad.
    Commander - I found everyone ignored and it looks like DICE have binned it anyway.

I wouldn't mind seeing some BF Vietnam features as well. First thing I would do is fly to enemy airbase and cut their control towers down, they would lose their air combat and advantage to my team :) Plus you could play awesome music flying into battle!

With AA and other nest based structures, I hope they allow players to rebuild structures rather then them being rebuilt automatically. Structures as in AA and MG based weapons, I disliked the idea that their scorched from the earth and then suddenly get replaced completely.
  17. Bf2 was way better multiplayer than Black Ops. Liked the big maps and the squad based aspect of the game. Got hooked on getting other player's dogtags and blowing up buildings with C4. But, my heart still belongs with MW2. Hardcore HQ anyone?
  18. needhaircut said:
    Bf2 was way better multiplayer than Black Ops. Liked the big maps and the squad based aspect of the game. Got hooked on getting other player's dogtags and blowing up buildings with C4. But, my heart still belongs with MW2. Hardcore HQ anyone?

Side note (not to derive too much from the main topic):

MW2 > COD:BO...but the cheating made that game the worse COD experience (while cheaters were in game). Besides, you can't compare BF to COD, they're both good in what they try to accomplish. BF has huge maps and vehicles, goes for realism to some extent, and is much more team oriented (especially BF2) while COD is more like everyone's a hero (where KD is more important than winning in most cases).

IMO, BF2 takes the cake on any other shooter for its time. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty damn close.
  19. Part 3 - http://www.videogamer.com/news/battlefield_3_fault_line_part_3.html

Now i must see what multiplayer looks like, and a 12 minute preview vid on April 17th :)
  20. Sound was quite good, with my headphones set on high it made the experiance of simply watching the video amazing. I do enjoy that their releasing the pc gameplay as well, where companies try to normally use xbox gameplay instead. The engine shows improvements like stated, I just wonder how optimization will be because it felt like there were some small issues at random locations.
  21. Battlefield bad company 3 looks like its going to be awesome! Especially since it is coming out this fall so that it can compete with COD. So glad that we are finally getting a game that is not ported from consoles!(ugh um... Crysis 2...)
  22. So the 12 minute video came out and i am afraid to say "I am make dissapoint" by this video, nothing new its just the previous trailors rolled into one. Meh, damn you EA!
  23. I WANT MULTIPLAYER FOOTAGE NOW!

SP looks awesome so far...
  24. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Battlefield Games Video Games