CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Anybody know how to get Shared IRQ slots to Work?
Need 4 PCI plus USB...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CompSci on 02/12/01 11:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I think all you have to do is make sure your PCI devices allow IRQ sharing (some cards do, some cards don't), and maybe install a PCI IRQ steering driver (if appropriate for your chipset).

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jericho_Narcas on 02/14/01 12:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You know, the dumbest thing that happened (or did not happen) in the design of PCI is that they did not include a new interrupt scheme!

G

First of all to be able to share irq's you need to have a mobo that is able to do so. Second and important is the cards that are going to be sharing the irq's have to be able to share them also. Meaning your cards have to be quality merchandise, Before the IRQ's can be shared.. Also a good idea is to go into the bios and turn off com ports that isnt gona be used to free up some IRQ's .. I hope this helps ya some. :)

<font color=red> BgKahuna
</font color=red>

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Mobo is Abit BE6-II, PII 450 @ 522(116FSB * 4.5), Win 2000.
Stable & zippy for PII 450!

Manual says,
Slot 1 shares IRQ with AGP.
Slots 2 and 5 share IRQ.
Slot 4 shate with the USB IRQ.
Slot 3 shares IRQ with onboard HighPoint UDMA66 controller.
*** like everything's shared on this mobo ***
Using:
Slot 1 - Yamaha Sound card - OK
Slot 2 - LinkSys EitherNet - OK
Slot 3 - Emply
Slot 4 - Creative Modem Blaster - OK
Slot 5 - Empty

Need another Ethernet!
Haved tried about every combination now. Can't get any commbination of any thing to work sharing Slot 2 and 5 IRQ!

But figure this. Last nite I tried a NIC in slot 3 sharing IRQ with the onboard UDMA66 controlller - It worked!!! In fact every PCI ethernet card I tried will share and work(LinkSys,RealTEk,SMC). And so will the sound card. Now put cards that are known to be able to share IRQs in Slot 2 and slot 5 - and no go! Huh...

Figure that! Don't really like sharing with the HPT66 disk controller but looks like I have to...

Why can't slots 2 and 5 share! The mobo manual says it will.
Anybody know WHY???

And anybody think a USB device will work if I try it???