c-drive to external drive backup

lyoung

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
How do you backup your whole system to a external usb drive?

I have used Partition Magic to backup Partitions, but It does not backup the total system from a PM start up disk.

I am aware there is another product that does, that is called RDRIVE. Is anyone familiar with this software.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have used Partition Magic to backup Partitions, but It does not backup the total system from a PM start up disk.
Of course not, since PM is only a software to prepare and setup your disks not a backup program. You need the others like Norton Ghost or Drive Image to backup (or clone) your system.

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I use R-Drive Image. The two restores I've done have both been from an image stored on a secondary HDD. However it will write to and restore from DVD/CD/HDD.

....WW (5.0)

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
Or you could write a simple batch file that performs a differential back-up.

The only problem with that is if you change the structure of any directory, you may end up doubling-up all your files on the external drive. Then you'd have to go back and restructure the directories on the external to match those of the original (on the internal HDD).

Anyway, that's just one way to go. I use it and, for the most part, I'm really good about keeping everything organized.

Did your External HDD come with RDrive? If so, read its manual and give it a try. It just might work for you.
However, if it came with something else, then give THAT a try.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I assume he want a backup he can restore his entire system from.

Simply copying all the files won't get the job done. It worked fine for 9x, but it won't work with XP.

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
I agree, Codesmith.

However, if he is to put together a back-up plan, it should include backing up (copying) his personal files at the very least. I use a differential back-up of the My Documents folder, for example, just for that purpose. When this is done, you have a back-up copy of a file you can retrieve in case it has been deleted from the hard drive.

For the entire system, I use Ghost.

TRENDING THREADS