Sign in with
Your question

PC Gaming worth the switch over consoles?

Last response: in Video Games
February 19, 2011 2:52:56 AM

I was thinking about building a PC entirely for gaming (I already have a MacBook for internet/word processing) and I didn't know if it was worth it or not. I have a PS3 and Xbox 360 at the moment, and I am pretty much satisfied with their game library. The only PC exclusives I am interested in are The Witcher 1/2, Crysis, and MMORPG's such as Star Wars The Old Republic/WoW/Dark Age of Camelot. I would play some games that are better on PC such as Bioshock, Doom and any other FPS but I don't know how I would adapt to the controls on PC. I also already have Oblivion and Morrowind but I was thinking about playing them on the PC for mods. I am really looking forward to the Elder Scrolls 5 but after hearing Bethesda say it is pretty much the same on all three platforms, I am wondering if building a PC is worth it. I have about $100 dollars saved up and will need to save up more if I am going to build a PC. I don't know how to build one, but I can learn. If I already have a PS3 and Xbox 360, is building a PC entirely for gaming worth it if all the games I want, save a few, are on console? I do prefer good graphics and I don't know how I would adapt to mouse/keyboard controls.
Any feedback/help is appreciated

More about : gaming worth switch consoles

February 19, 2011 9:10:13 AM

I was into console before I got into PC gaming. Shifting to mouse and keyboard wasn't that easy though, I had to relearn everything and I kinda miss the vibrate effect too. But aiming on a mouse prove to be more precise and with ease plus with PC you get the best graphics and textures ever. But PC gaming is quite expensive especially if you want to keep up with today's most demanding games.
m
l
February 19, 2011 12:05:28 PM

I've shifted between console and PC gaming for years. I always find something that draws me to one side of the coin more for a while. Currently I'm heavily weighted towards the PC.

The 360 gets some gaming
The PS3 is used mostly for blu-ray and Play TV.
The Wii.....er....the Wii is used less than the second hand PS2 which mostly just gathers dust.

Why switch? Get the best of as many worlds as you can afford.

Also, you can get the 360 controller for windows. Love playing Mafia II on the PC with that along with a couple of other games.

I got the PC for games that just aren't around on consoles, like Total War, Supreme Commander and flight sims.

You should weigh up what benefit you can get for it. Are there any PC only games you really REALLY want?
m
l
Related resources
February 19, 2011 1:35:30 PM

If you are the sort of gamer that wants to buy few games a year then go console. However anything beyond few games a year and console gaming becomes costly compared to PC. This is so because console games launch at a price point of 60usd, and stay there for a llong period of time.

90% of games released today are multiplat, which means most of the games out today are on PC. Prices for games on PC fall very quickly. On a single steam discount a gamer can buy 10-20 AAA games for as low as 100-150usd. No way a console can compete with those prices, because console business is designed, to profit on software and sell hardware for a reasonable price.

Whats more the same games released on PC offer modding, more control options and better graphics. Another trumph card the PC has its Backward compatibility, PC backward compatibility is so insane even devs probably hate it lol. When it comes to console, if a game wont die out, companies can control the market and end it (an example being microsoft discontinuing online for Halo 2, at this point in time even if valve wanted they couldnt force the user base from stopping to play CS, this basically means PC user base has more control over its games, console gamers are more reliant to what the console company wants to do).

Over a console generation you may end up buying thousands worth of software, however when you buy a new console, all of that pretty much can become unplayable due to lack of BC aka PS3 wont play PS2 games. Yes you can go out and buy a PS2 however how many systems are you going to keep rebuying? With PC you can play even 10yr old games which just means PC gamers are allowed to build a library, with console the moment a new system is out you are expected to dumb your old library (basically thousands worth of software) and go out buy new games.

Lastly PC can emulate games from almost every old console and the arcade, which means the PC has thousands of games in its library. Any one looking to be playing a lot of games is definetly missing out if they arent owning a gaming PC. I would say its the ultimate gaming machine.
m
l
March 13, 2011 1:49:23 AM

I started with consoles and didn't even get into PC gaming until I got a job in computers, about three years back now I think. My equipment and opinions below...

Xbox 360 - Damn fantastic online network for the 360. It really excels here but the reliability of the hardware was it's real fall from grace. I've had two fail on my and had a bunch of random issues.

PS3 - Online component sucks other than the free aspect. I liked some of the exclusives but I rarely use this console as it is.

PS2 - Yes, I still have my little baby slim setup but I only really play SSX 3 on it anymore.

PC - This is the best overall just for the multitasking aspect of it. My possibilities are almost endless and I can just upgrade parts when I want more performance rather than waiting for the next console generation. I do get tired of researching parts for an upgrade but I feel more in control in the end.

m
l
March 14, 2011 5:36:14 PM

PC games generally offer more complexity than console games so they will widen the range of your gaming experience. Also the available hardware gets constantly updated, while console platforms stay in service for a long time, which means better graphics could be available on PC.

It seems relatively easy to adapt to PC controls, judging from that I often run to clanmates that have started PC gaming only recently and at a surprisingly old age, and are obviously enjoying it.

PC is generally a relatively powerful computing platform - you have good graphics, CPU power from multiple cores, wide storage options, good networking, a choice of several operating systems (various Windows versions, Linux distributions, BSD variants), a humongous selection of applications for every purpose and so on and so on. PC is the obvious choice if you plan to spend a lot of time with computers.

There is a number of PC games available for Mac. If your macbook isn't old or with low-end specs, you could try getting a game or two for it. Gives you a quick sampling about what PC games can offer, though the experience may be slightly limited due to lower power hardware and smaller screen. But you can eg. use an external USB mouse and the keyboard for controls, just like with a PC.
m
l
March 15, 2011 5:54:35 PM

Biggest benefit I got from pc gaming was the building part. I had heard of what the computer components were called but before last summer I never knew what they looked like or the place each one had inside. Finally this last winter, all that changed.

Secondly, since the next generation of consoles is looking to be far far away, you can take advantage of this gap by inventing your own.

As far as the games themselves...I'm not totally impressed with pc exclusives compared to console exclusives. This of course depends on your favorite genre. I'm mostly into action adventure platformer games and not really into real time strategy. So make your own mind up there. However I do find it entertaining using a mouse keyboard desk set up because it just feels so new and different to me.. that part I like alot.

Budget is the biggest issue here. You started with $500 a week before this post and now you have $100. That's not a good trend when you need to have about $1000. Either get a 3DS or save up and just research while you wait. The longer you wait the better your build will be. If I had built mine last summer is would have been very different than the one I built over the winter.

Oh yeah lastly, building your own computer gets you respect among the ppl around you. There you go...
m
l
March 16, 2011 9:43:00 PM

The graphics are a ton better. Its a night and day difference. Rusty_m not all games support the xbox console controller, plus you have to buy a special kind.
m
l
March 16, 2011 9:59:00 PM

I encourage you to support PC gaming because you can make a game look better after it has been out for awhile if your video card isn't up to par and for what you would pay for a console. Also, modding, Morrowind and Oblivion are great examples. I love to change the game, control it, see what I can do bring out more potential in the game itself.
m
l
March 17, 2011 8:06:24 AM

varis said:
PC games generally offer more complexity than console games so they will widen the range of your gaming experience.

Yeah, I kinda preferred the various weapons and armor options in Mass Effect 1 (PC only) than how it was handled in Mass Effect 2 (which was also released for console). Also each character had fewer skills. Overall, Mass Effect 2 kinda felt dumbed down compared to Mass Effect 1.
m
l
March 17, 2011 8:59:11 AM

If your budget is $500 you can just go for low-end parts. If it's less you can buy old or second hand parts from Ebay. I recently bumped into a guy who paid just $50 for his video card and some $30 for each of his 3 monitors - which is awesome if you want a large desktop.

The obvious catch is that you won't be able to run today's games very well. Basically you get the same great experience as users of mainstream/performance systems had some 1-2 years ago, for a fraction of the price. Games from that time period should run at about medium settings just fine, and you'll be paying like $20 for each of them because you can now find them in the bargain bin.

Another catch is that many games nowadays are multiplayer, you're supposed to play them with other people online. If the game was a big hit you'll certainly find many players a year down the road, even 5 years down the road. If it was a small cult game the mass of players may already have moved on with only a handful of die-hards remaining, and the community for the game is dead.

But there is lots to be said for older games and retro gaming. Personally I've recently enjoyed some games from around mid-90's even though I have pretty modern hardware. If you are looking for games that came out before 2011, your selection gets much more wider and you also can get plenty of recommendations from people that used to play the titles a lot when they came out.
m
l
!