Closed

Minimum/Recommended internet speed required on Multiplayer games

Minimum/Recommended internet speed required on Multiplayer games like call of duty latest released, GTA 4, Halo 3 (xbox360)
thanks
16 answers Last reply
More about minimum recommended internet speed required multiplayer games
  1. Anything better than dialup should be fine (DSL, cable, 3G/4G in some places) - the main thing you want to pay attention to is the server you're playing on. Make sure that the server your playing on is within close proximity to where you are playing from (example: don't pick a server based out of San Francisco when you live in New York) - assuming server selection is possible of course.
  2. tpnp said:
    Anything better than dialup should be fine (DSL, cable, 3G/4G in some places) - the main thing you want to pay attention to is the server you're playing on. Make sure that the server your playing on is within close proximity to where you are playing from (example: don't pick a server based out of San Francisco when you live in New York) - assuming server selection is possible of course.

    I have broadband speed of 256 kbps. Is it enough?
  3. 256kbps is on the slow side i would suggest atleast a 1megabit/sec for online games. I have 54 megs/sec and I never lag but im about 54 times faster than I need to be.
  4. guerilla_logic said:
    256kbps is on the slow side i would suggest atleast a 1megabit/sec for online games. I have 54 megs/sec and I never lag but im about 54 times faster than I need to be.

    what is the cost there for such speeds??
  5. 1 meg here is around 20 dollars a month from charter internet but 54 megs is around 100 dollars a month I believe I don't pay the bills. I know the only reason we have this is because its packaged with our cable, it's major overkill.
  6. guerilla_logic said:
    1 meg here is around 20 dollars a month from charter internet but 54 megs is around 100 dollars a month I believe I don't pay the bills. I know the only reason we have this is because its packaged with our cable, it's major overkill.

    here 1mbps is rs3000 or 66$ a month.
  7. where do you live and what provider do you have?
  8. PS are you talking download or upload speed because there is a huge difference.
  9. For online gaming it's not so much the actual throughput than the latency. Typically online games do not require much bandwidth - a 256 kbps speed is far more than enough (but you'll want at least 2 Mb/s download and 256 Mb/s upload for browsing and downloading stuff so don't limit yourself). What is really important is latency, which is the time taken for you and the server to communicate. Depending on the game, your latency may or may not be sufficient, for instance for online first person shooters you want :

    1-80 : good gameplay
    81-150 : decent gameplay
    150+ : pretty frustrating as people seem to kill you instantly, around a corner, etc ...

    But it also depends on the actual game and its netcode, for instance Battlefield 2 netcode is absolutely horrible and does no high-latency corrections, which essentially means "first to server gets the kill" - newer games should compensate for each player's individual latency to improve fairness.

    Latency is also physically limited by the speed of light in a copper wire (which is the most used medium, optical fibre being on average not used that much), which is about 160000 km/s - that is, if the distance between you and the server is X kilometres the absolute best latency you can expect is (X / 160000) * 2 seconds, so about (X / 160) * 2 milliseconds. The "* 2" comes from the fact that the server needs to respond (most of the time), so we need double time for that to happen.

    Which essentially means that if you want a latency of at most, say, 100 milliseconds, you need to be at at most 8000 km from the server. Which is probably easy if you live in north america, but is harder if you live in australia for instance.

    Of course this is theoretical and your mileage may vary depending on if you're playing overseas or if your whole state is frikkin wired with optical fiber, so in conclusion make sure that :

    - you have sufficient throughput, that should be ok if you're not on dialup
    - your ISP provides low-latency ("low-ping") internet access
    - you choose a server that is close to you, say in your state for best results if you're in the USA

    Note that if you're in very remote locations like australia, new zealand, etc ... you won't be happy at all with your latency (about 200-300 ms) on most european/american servers, so you'll have to find an oceanic server - just a word of warning for whoever it concerns.
  10. If im not mistaken xbox live doesn't let you choose servers. It only lets you choose euro, american, or oceanic. A game like WoW however lets you choose servers and suggests servers closest to you.
  11. guerilla_logic said:
    where do you live and what provider do you have?

    India, actually south India. We have a lot of providers. I'm using BSNL [Bharath sanchar nigam ltd]. Its 750 plan. Its unlimited. 256 browsing speeds.
    avail plan is 3000, unlimited 2mbps speed.
  12. I'm using Airtel's 4 mbps plan in Delhi. Costs me Rs. 1400 per month. They have a fair use policy which means that upto 25 gigs, you'll get speeds of upto 4 mbps but once you cross 25 gigs in a month, your speed will come down to 512 kbps till your next billing cycle starts.

    Even on 512 kbps, I manage to play Left 4 Dead 2 without any issues/ disconnections, etc. I'd suggest you consider moving to Airtel as BSNL ain't all that!
  13. namelessonez said:
    I'm using Airtel's 4 mbps plan in Delhi. Costs me Rs. 1400 per month. They have a fair use policy which means that upto 25 gigs, you'll get speeds of upto 4 mbps but once you cross 25 gigs in a month, your speed will come down to 512 kbps till your next billing cycle starts.

    Even on 512 kbps, I manage to play Left 4 Dead 2 without any issues/ disconnections, etc. I'd suggest you consider moving to Airtel as BSNL ain't all that!

    Airtel is not available at where I live... :(
  14. helo.. i just wanna ask if im getting wat im paying for, my plan is 384 kbps and it is 888 per month. my average downspeed at speedtest is 350 kbps.and upspeed of 150kbps.is this enough?. .any replies and comment would be a big help.tnx
  15. Depends where you are located, as I said before bandwidth is mostly irrelevant in online games because so little data is being transmitted. The most important thing is latency, so that your actions are registered to the server and to other players as fast as possible. If you are in Europe and want to play on a USA server for instance, expect some discomfort while playing online (usually a response time of 100-200 milliseconds). But if you are in the US and playing within the US, you'll be completely fine :)

    And yes, you are getting what you are paying for, 384kbps is theoretical and you are not alone on the network, hence slightly lower speeds (and your upload speed is normal as well).

    Enjoy!
  16. 512 KB and up are recommended but the upload is more important
Ask a new question

Read More

Call of Duty Multiplayer Games Internet Video Games