Do I have to install VIA 4-IN-1 Drivers ?

G

I am planning to format my HDD and install Win2000 on my system with Asus A7V M/B. Since I originally bought this system with everything installed, I don't know whether they installed the VIA 4in1 drivers or not.

But this time, I am doing things myself. So after I install Win2000, do I need to install the VIA 4-IN-1 drivers ?

Secondly, I have a program currently running in my Win98 called Intel UltraATA Storage Driver. Do I have to install this again, and where can I find this program ?

Thanks

FUBAR

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Yes you will need to install the drivers, start with the offical version 4.25 (I think) and then if that works install the latest beta drivers. The Ultra ATA drivers is because the 4-in-1 drivers have an issue with win2000. I think that these arte available on the via website.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would install the VIA drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard first. Then you can upgrade to which ever version you like

-Gimme oysters and beer for dinner everyday of the year and I'll feel fine.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Please refer to the following page for information on using an ATA-100 hard drive with Windows 2000.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q260/2/33.ASP

You should also checkout the issues regarding ACPI and interrupt sharing with Windows 2000. See the following link for more inforamtion:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q252/4/20.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=interrupts&rnk=4&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WIN2000

I would DEFINATELY backup the complete drive in the event that you chose to revert back to Windows 98 S/E. Remember, format is forever.

Your best option may be to opt for a new hard disk so that you may perform your Windows 2000 installation 'cleanly'. This would also allow you to have your old disk intact (installed as a slave drive) to migrate data from, as well as the ability for either a dual-boot scenario or to revert back to your Windows 98 platform without having to use a backup/restore methodology.

Good Luck!
Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by stable on 02/15/01 10:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>