Old Gateway LX, what upgrade options do I have?

Parid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
At work we have about 30 old Gateway GP6-266 and GP6-300s. They are early P2s on what apear to be old intel atlanta boards. The layout is the same. They are getting pretty dated and we are wondering if there is anything we can do to help these little guys out. I called gateway and of corse the answer they gave me was that the fastest CPU for the computer was a P2-333. I didn't quite buy that so I updated the bios and put in a Slot1 Celeron 400 that we had lying around. Works great. This got me to thinking... what other celerons would work in this board? We have a good relatonship with a shop in town and they let us barow a ppga->slot1 convert and a Celeron 700. That didn't seam to work.

My question is this. What will I be able to put in this machine? Slot 1 Celerons seam to be imposible to find, I'm looking for like 16. Will a socketed 433 converted to slot work? I noticed that celerons after 533 use the FCPGA socket, is that maybe the problem? Will a celeron 533 work in this board with a converter? Am I just nuts?

Thanks.
-Parid