IntelConvert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
I have a need to build a 1 GHz P3 (i815) system, and I was contemplating Intel's D815EEA vs. ASUS' CUSL2-C (vs. ???). While the CUSL2-C has a fine reputation, I'm somewhat concerned over its having but 1 serial port.

I would be very appreciative of any informed opinions as to the best i815 board and why? BTW, there is no desire for OC'ing with this system, although the user would like the best default performance possible!

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
I'm still trying to figure out why the newbies are so hot on the CUSL2-C.

We are an authorized Asus dealer and we are real picky (okay, Anal) about selecting motherboards for production use. (Hence our name, "Stable Technologies")

We've done testing on 3 different versions of the CUSL2-C. Using a mixed bag of devices, we haven't had much luck at all with the new -EP chipset version of this board. The -E version actually runs slower than the CUSL2 with the same chipset.

The CUSL2 is much more stable in every variation. Additionally, our specs are saying the CUSL2 runs faster in every variation. Why? I must assume BIOS revisions for the -C just aren't mature yet. This board has only been shipping for a few weeks so I must also assume it will get better, but why would anyone want to take chances when buying a motherboard?

The big advantage everyone seems to be reciting is that it is on average $30.00 cheaper than the CUSL2. This might also explain why my engineers call this board the CUSL2-CHEAP.

I must therefor ask, is it really worth it to save $30.00 on the initial purchase if you are going to have an unstable system, or to have a system that runs slower than it's more mature counterpart? Or, is it worth $30.00 to lose all of the things you gain with the CUSL2? (The USB hub and 2 more ports, the second serial port, AGP4xPro, etc.. as well as the, "you actually have to open the box to see what chipset you got" scenario? I don't think so!

So far everyone seems to be hailing the virtues of this board, but out of all of the comments here only 1 person actually owned one. And he didn't even have the EP chipset, nor had he tested the board with an AGP4xPro device, SCSI cards, WOL services, or DVD so how can he actually give an unbiased rating?

I really think folks should carefully consider the implications of jumping on the -C merry-go-round and talk to some engineers that have actually run this board with a variety of hardware before making a decision. If you have only a single support issue, I think you would agree that the $30.00 difference in price would have been money well spent on the more mature and stable CUSL2.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by stable on 02/15/01 06:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

IntelConvert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
Steve~ I read your comparison between the CUSL2 and -C versions with interest. I didn't realize that the CUSL2 was more stable and a better performer than the -C version (not to mention that it has 2 serial ports)! You appear to be quite credible, however you didn't offer me any comparatives to Intel's D815EEA...

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Ah... (Grin) I don't sell Intel motherboards anymore. I got so mad about that whole 810/820/840 chipset thing and the total lack of product availability last year that I told them to "stick it" when it came to motherboards. Sorry.

The only Intel board I have here has an 850 chipset with a P4 on it (I bought it for the CPU since Intel gave the bundle to me at half my normal dealer cost through the Intel Partner program!) To be honest, I don't even know what the model number of the board is, only that my techs are playing with it and moving the CPU from P4 board to P4 board.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

G

i was planning on buying one of those asus motherboards (ASUS CUSL2-C )....for a PIII.....well...i was faced with two problems....first : i read a post in this forum about troubles ASUS is going through...and the possibility of getting a 815E instead of an 815EP...depending on absolute chance....
SEcond: and plz don't wonder about this one....i was planning on getting the ASUS CUSL2-C from overseas......THERE ARE NO ASUS MoBos in my country!!!!!!.....
well....what i've found here in abundance are the GIGA-BYTE motherboards...the question is....can you gimme any advice about this particular brand.....i'm looking for one with no onboard audio or video, with the 815EP...and supporting ATA\100....guess the :GA-6OX ....the link is..
http://www.giga-byte.com/products/6ox.htm .....
thanks for any help in advance
FORGIVE MY IGNORANCE

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel boards offer far fewer bios tweaks for performance calibration and overclocking, but are generally of the same quality as Asus counterparts. The CUSL2 has 2 Serial ports, 1 requires a standard cable to the motherboard (As used in AT systems).

Suicide is painless...........

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Stable Technologies is retail computer center on South Main Street in Concord, New Hampshire (three blocks south of the State Capital Building). We also operate a shared reseller R&D laboratory (called Co-op Laboratories) where we currently test and evaluate microcomputer components from over 400 different manufacturers.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, actually I don't! Please explain in a description that is more than one sentence, that is if you are capable of a complete paragraph, something unlike your normal one sentence nonsense posts.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

one of the differences between the CUSL2 and the msi 6337 is that the msi uses the normal award bios and the asus uses the award/phoenix style bios which i found difficult to use at first as i am not used to it. It does have all the necessary features but it is not so easy to go through it very fast when you are making changes.

The asus board was very stable and also included a 3 usb port plate for the back of the comp while the msi only included an extra serial port plate. The asus manual was excellent, one of the best i have seen, whilst the msi one was adequate.

Unfortunately whilst the asus board is still running well, the msi board started to crash a lot after a few weeks, eventually while i was flashing the bios in dos, which led me to return it. I am sure this is an exceptional case and i look forward to trying again when i receive the replacement.

Definately 815 is a welcome chipset from intel, but it is a pity about the 512mb memory limit and also a pity about the agp aperture size being limited also. The new msi 6337 v3.0 with the raid controller looks interesting also but it is not available here in greece yet.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Try -Supermicro 370ssa- they are made rock solid. They come with !!!4mb BIOS!!!.

<A HREF="http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/815/370ssa.htm" target="_new">http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/815/370ssa.htm</A>

:cool: First person to get a topic banned. :cool: ABIT BP6 Lives FOREVER!!! :cool: VIA SUCKS !!! :cool:

G

It sounds like you have least two computers, so just use your Intel for a game & graphics mach. That’s what I do and it a perfect situation:
Configz:
(1)WIN 98se – Using, (98 Lite Pro) to remove Internet Ex & options. Now 180mgs. And much faster.
(2)300w ps
(3)800eb oc/858 w/Swiftech MC370-0A Cooler.
(4)CUSL2 Intel 815 w/big Sinks & Fans installed on all relevant chips.
(5)1-256m Crucial RAM 2/2/2
(6)Diamond Max 40g/100-UDMA
(7)*ANNIHILATOR 2 Ultra w/ ram oc 500. Installed bigger sinks 4"fan. all options full on exp/force anti-aliasing Running 1600x1200. Perfect in all games.
(8)View Sonic GS815 (21”). Not to bad-800 buckz. Would like SONY/Panasonic.
(9)SB-gamer using (2) Monsoon MM-700 Multimedia Speaker Sys’s. JUST KILLER SOUND
(10)Plexwriter 12/10/32
ADDED GOODS:
Wingman, Formula Force (Force feedback) Steering Wheel!
Trackman Marble FX!

INTEL & CUSL2, NO PROBLEM!!!
BDISK

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have no idea what you are talking about here (I am not that dumb, yet). My CUSL2-C (P3-800) haz two serial ports, additional USB ports, running at 160 MHZ FSB no problem (only with the last 166 windows wont boot), running MX300 on it, which is not compatible with i815 chipset as far as it goes, running SCSI hd, and in fact, the respond I am getting from it is little better than KT7A-900@1045 with W2k. So your argument as a "hardware guru" does not have any ground to support you with... sigh

K7 + KT7A + MX300 + VooDoo3000 = :smile:
P3 + CUSL2-C + MX300 + Asus7700 = :smile:

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I understand you have never played with Intel stuff, right? Till now Intel was the best thing to play with as far as overclocking goes, AMD just started to catch up with them risently with new chips... oh well; knowledge is a tough thing to get.

It's not too late yet... :wink:

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That mobo is designed for the servers only, I don't think that anybody from the administrators will be overclocking it, because business requires stability not overclocking.

It's not too late yet... :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, the MX300 and other Vortex2 cards (including the awesome SQ2500) are not compatable with the I815. I have one working great on my CUSL2 as well, even the Soundboater Compatability works.

Suicide is painless...........

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got an ABIT SE6, its got two serial ports even thought the video uses one of the standard ATX places. The other serial port is used by an add on cable like the classic AT form factor. Im sure ASUS board is the same way.

Lets face it people, there are stupid people and stupid questions! :lol: