Sign in with
Your question

Will reducing ping help my problem and if so how

Last response: in Video Games
February 21, 2011 7:46:12 AM

Hi,
I have a daughter who wants to take part in something called world spelling day which involves answering as many questions in 60 seconds!She complains that my home PC is slow and it is taking time for the answer and questions to register and she's losing precious milliseconds beacuse of me!! I wonder whether someone could suggest a solution to me. Would reducing the ping help getting faster responses?I am not great at computers although I have tried this (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7file...) but to no avail. Can someone please save my skin? !!
My broadband and pc details are: Broadband:1.3mb Speed , Ping 125ms, PC: Windows 7 64-bit,pent i3- 370 2.4ghz porcss ,memory:3072MB dual channel ddr3,Nvidia GT 420m Graphics

More about : reducing ping problem

February 21, 2011 3:46:03 PM

2 things, to improve ping would be to improve speed, your connection speed is slow. Most ISP should be giving you around 3Mb speed. Is your broadband a DSL connection? This would then mean you are far from the "hub" and it takes longer for the data to reach it's destination (high ping, slow speed) DSL works by distance from the ERX / C.O. Check your ISP to see if they can improve line quality, ensure you have DSL filters installed on each phone jack that a telephony device is plugged into (IE: Phones, faxes but not the modem). This will allow for clearer signal and less internet issues. If you are using Cable broadband then call service provider to do a line test and to see if you are getting proper speed, these adjustment for both DSL and cable are done at the office end to ensure you get what you paid for. The PC is not the issue (unless you are downloading / online gaming at the same time). This would be a problem with bandwidth and therefore more speed would be required. Try this = http://www.speedtest.net/ and give this info to ISP. That should resolve your issues. (PS I work for large DSL internet provider and have seen this issues many of times)
February 21, 2011 5:28:07 PM

If you are running wireless, your wireless router may need reset, or it may need to be in a better position so that your laptop gets a better signal. If it's an older router it may need updated.
Related resources
February 22, 2011 3:20:55 PM

hi,
Thanks to Hawkeye and Rattman for their help.For what it is worth I did get in touch with my broadband provider (sky!!) who increased my speed to 2.6mb! The ping is still at 110ms!
many thanks
February 22, 2011 3:32:02 PM

Depending on your geographic location and the server's (world spelling) is geographically located, ping will vary by distance. Ping also varies depending on the route the data takes, and the number of devices (usually routers) it has to pass through, network congestion, and a host of other variables. In essence, you are only as strong as your weakest link. Reducing your ping may be out of your hands.

Also, although 110ms is a little high, it shouldn't be as drastic as your daughter is claiming. I can do online gaming with a 110ms ping and have no lag (delay) and gaming is much more intensive than spelling.

Granted you won't be able to stream movies very well over a 2.6Mb connection, but it should be fine for spelling. Are you sure she isn't just trying to get you to hike up your speed so she can watch some youtube or something? ;) 
February 23, 2011 2:03:33 PM

Another thing to do would be to run a complete and thorough anti virus scan and adware scan to remove anything they might find ( esp. if you have not done one in awhile the tracking cookies can add up slowing performance )

You might also test connecting the PC using a wired connection instead of wireless if using wireless if that is possible with the setup you have since wireless connections will take a bit longer than being wired to the router directly.

The increase in speed from 1.3 to 2.6 Mbps should help quite a bit also but as already stated the Ping times will vary depending on how far you are from the host site and the route that is used to get there and the number of participants that are online at the same time as she is so not a lot else that can be done.
February 28, 2011 12:06:52 AM

Look if I can play first person shooter games and still reach the top end of the scoreboard with a 300 ms ping latency, your daughter should not even notice the input lag. Honestly, she already takes more time processing the spelling in her brain and actually typing it out. Sure, it can make a difference in the long run, but to be honest:
- if you are just too far away from the server there is nothing you can do about it provided your ISP gives you the best you can get - information speed is limited by the speed of light (or by the speed of electricity in a copper wire) and you can't work around the laws of physics.
- does your daughter need to wait for the reply of the server each time she submits a word before being able to submit the next one? If yes, this is a horribly ill-designed and unfair system you got there. Not having to wait defeats latency since your daughter can just chain words, letting the computer stream the results to the server which can check them when it gets them.
July 4, 2011 6:25:49 AM

simonsays105 said:
Hi,
I have a daughter who wants to take part in something called world spelling day which involves answering as many questions in 60 seconds!She complains that my home PC is slow and it is taking time for the answer and questions to register and she's losing precious milliseconds beacuse of me!! I wonder whether someone could suggest a solution to me. Would reducing the ping help getting faster responses?I am not great at computers although I have tried this (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7file...) but to no avail. Can someone please save my skin? !!
My broadband and pc details are: Broadband:1.3mb Speed , Ping 125ms, PC: Windows 7 64-bit,pent i3- 370 2.4ghz porcss ,memory:3072MB dual channel ddr3,Nvidia GT 420m Graphics

!