Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I play Mass Effect 2 on this low end CPU?

Last response: in Video Games
February 21, 2011 10:08:44 PM

Hi guys, ive been planning between buying two games; Mass effect 2 or EvE Online. Both look very fun to me and i am leaning mostly towards buying ME2 over EvE Online.
I have a graphics card that is perfectly capable of handleing the game (Nvidia gts 250) but the problems is my CPU.
My CPU is Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz, i have been hearing that this CPU is not good at all and it will bottle neck my gfx card when playing some games such as ME2. I don't have enough money to buy a better CPU for now and am just wonder if I will be able to play ME2 at maxed settings perfectly fine with a fps around 40 - 60+
February 22, 2011 1:32:27 PM

Guess nobody knows much, -refresh
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2011 3:12:24 PM

Possibly,
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/intro.aspx
Choose mass effect 2, your system will be analysed and a conclusion given/.
Related resources
February 22, 2011 8:28:27 PM

55Range said:
Possibly,
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/intro.aspx
Choose mass effect 2, your system will be analysed and a conclusion given/.

Nope, the CPU fails sadly. The gfx card, memory, and sound are all perfectly or beyond the recommended requirements. Guess ill either OC or buy a new cpu to prevent any bottle necking.
m
l
February 22, 2011 8:28:37 PM

Best answer selected by morkintash.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2011 8:40:17 AM

I see. yeah cpu upgrade would be nice, i dont think a good enough boost will be provided with the oc/
m
l
February 23, 2011 1:24:28 PM

55Range said:
I see. yeah cpu upgrade would be nice, i dont think a good enough boost will be provided with the oc/

Yea, the cache is awful and the cpu is out of date. OC didn't help much on this cpu.

Think a Core 2 Quad Q8300 would do a good job? (the the intel i processors are a bit to much and the old quads are still great!) its .5 Mhz faster then the cpu i have at the moment, but it's quad and not dual core so those extra 2 should really make up! (And no anoying micro lags) With this and my Gts 250 should be able to play most games at maxed settings. I also plan to go sli with a 460 soon so i can play the new crysis 2.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2011 2:02:16 PM

Yeah a 8300 will do, i have a Q 8400 oced to 3.6
Does really great with a gtx 460.
m
l
February 27, 2011 8:18:48 PM

Not all games are optimized for multi-core, it may only utilize 2 cores.

"...I should also mention that a few blogs and news sites have been incorrectly saying this is a "multi-core" fix. The problem only appears on dual-core systems, and even then only certain configurations. If you have a quad-core, the you should
be fine..."

m
l
February 27, 2011 8:37:28 PM

pleasenoname said:
Not all games are optimized for multi-core, it may only utilize 2 cores.

"...I should also mention that a few blogs and news sites have been incorrectly saying this is a "multi-core" fix. The problem only appears on dual-core systems, and even then only certain configurations. If you have a quad-core, the you should
be fine..."

im going to get a quad core, i was planning on the Q8400 but found that the E8400 is a little better, and they seem the same price =D
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2011 3:51:48 AM

Morkintash said:
im going to get a quad core, i was planning on the Q8400 but found that the E8400 is a little better, and they seem the same price =D

I seriously not recommend that-
The E8400 is core 2 duo.
I even started a thread for that.
I went with the Q8400 and would have regretted otherwise.
m
l
March 6, 2011 1:28:13 PM

I have only built with AMD so far, I don't know as much about Intel.
I was wondering; what don't you like about the E8400?

The core 2 duo is 2 dual core processors running in tandem, right? Is that why?
If you have the link to the thread I'd like to read it.
m
l
!