Sign in with
Your question

Call of Duty crashing.

Last response: in Video Games
February 22, 2011 8:21:30 AM

Hi guys,
I have this problem for some time now, wether I play MW2, CoD4 or black ops, my game runs fine, until a random moment where it freezes, and where it gives me a very weird sound in my speakers.

Alt tabbing and/or windows keying has no use, as it won't react to ANYTHING other than a forced restart.

I've been thinking that I might be able to fix it with a clean windows install, but a buddy of mine told me it's probably a hardware fault.

I filmed it with my phone aswell, check it out here and mind the weird sound you hear:

I have onboard sound card, so maybe my mobo is broken and that causes the crash? I'm just naming up something here, hehe.

Is any of you familiar with this problem? Or do you recognize something like this? Thanks very much in advance!

Specs:
Intel core2duo CPU 6600@2.40GHz
3GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5550

More about : call duty crashing

February 22, 2011 8:30:00 AM

Faulty drivers may be the problem. Make sure all your hardware drivers are up to date.
February 22, 2011 8:53:56 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Faulty drivers may be the problem. Make sure all your hardware drivers are up to date.

I have the latest drivers, I also have driver genius pro, tells me I have everything up to date aswell.
Related resources
February 22, 2011 9:05:39 AM

System temperatures OK?
February 22, 2011 10:53:18 AM

Herr_Koos said:
System temperatures OK?

this is what the catalyst control center tells me:
February 22, 2011 9:55:00 PM

werner123 said:
check your cpu temps,can be your psu as well starting to pack up,Try using older drivers.Close background apps like everything just to see,disable catalyst ai.Just use another psu to test if you can.Ever heard of a program called gamebooster, use it you may just be surprised.

Realtemp tells me

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/traxxy/info-1....
February 22, 2011 9:58:55 PM

can't seem to edit my last post,
what I wanted to add was that this screen:

is without doing anything, i'll post another tomorrow while playing CoD.
February 23, 2011 8:44:48 AM

werner123 said:
That is a little high for idling cpu,try touching the cpu heatsink,if you can't hold your fingers for more than 5-10 sec. then it's too hot.Do this while gaming as well.Get rid of dust on the heatsink.Again try using another power supply to test.Have you tried older drivers for your gfx card and onboard audio?

I haven't tried older drivers, but I'm almost positive that this is caused by my cooling system. Because, When I start my PC, sometimes my cooler won't turn on, but when it does, it seems acts normal, but since it sometimes malfunctions it could be that it is still too slow to properly cool my CPU.

I'm not entirily sure what my heatsink is, but I assume it is this part:

I cannot put my finger on there for more than 2-3 seconds.

I have a fairly new 500watt power supply, I don't think that's the problem
February 23, 2011 10:47:59 AM

werner123 said:
Go to your bios,hardware monitor and disable cpu smart fan problem solved, give me the model number of your motherboard.Dont know what gigabyte calls it but it's got something to do with your fan.Better yet send me a pic of your bios for hardware monitor where it shows cpu temps

alright good, here this is while playing CoD btw:
February 23, 2011 10:58:33 AM

werner123 said:
Go to your bios,hardware monitor and disable cpu smart fan problem solved, give me the model number of your motherboard.Dont know what gigabyte calls it but it's got something to do with your fan.Better yet send me a pic of your bios for hardware monitor where it shows cpu temps

I changed it to disabled.

I believe I have gigabyte ds3, but since I disabled that just now, Real Temp tells me its 46 degrees idle, instead of the 55 I had before
February 23, 2011 11:12:38 AM

werner123 said:
That's fine keep it disabled.The fan is going to run at full speed now all the time but dont worry about that.At least now you'll be able to enjoy your games again

Awesome!! thanks bro! great help thanks alot!
!