Blizzard Deleting 'Inappropriate' StarCraft 2 Maps

Tags:
  • Starcraft 2
  • Blizzard
  • Starcraft
Last response: in News comments
Anonymous
August 5, 2010 10:13:22 PM

Wow, battle.net is looking more and more like xbox live. Give me a break blizzard.
Score
August 5, 2010 10:18:53 PM

people need to lighten up and stop taking shit so seriously
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 5, 2010 10:24:34 PM

^Exactly
Score
August 5, 2010 10:29:44 PM

who the hell are they to tell us what is "Inappropriate"? who do they think they are? apple?
Score
August 5, 2010 10:40:22 PM

Blizzard (Kerrigan)... what have you become?
Score
August 5, 2010 10:43:16 PM

If you don't like it, don't play it. No one wants to hear your whining.
Score
August 5, 2010 10:49:24 PM

dammit!!!

if I don't want to play on a map full of penis and Nazi swastika, I'll choose myself, thank you!!!

I don't need moral police telling me what's bad and good for me...I have a brain...I can think and choose for myself....
Score
August 5, 2010 10:49:26 PM

"Eventually it was revealed that unit movement patterns accidentally formed a "certain anti-Semite symbol" on a minimap within Ultimate Take Defense."

Where is the ACLU to defend the Nazi point of view? Surely their are a minority who needs an advocate?!?!?
Score
August 5, 2010 10:49:27 PM

weird. guess we should start censoring buildings in google maps that make patterns that could be considered offensive.

i guess this all amounts to if the map creators were at least warned which it doesnt sound like they were, despite blizzard saying that is part of the process.

on the same token i think everyone, b-net and blizzard got a little out of hand.
Score
August 5, 2010 10:50:29 PM

blizzard is confused about how favorable the public will look upon a pathetic attempt to graft a discussion about intentions onto a discussion about what was indeed a draconic action resulting from their immature removal policy; at least they round-aboutly admitted to the draconic actions and immaturity on their part, though they probably calculated that calling it out with equivocation would take some heat of their backs; sure looks like the republicans are running blizzard public relations lol
Score
August 5, 2010 10:57:18 PM

The directions Blizzard has taken since joining with activision are not good ones. I myself have stopped playing\buying all Blizzards games (NEVER thought id see the day when I would stop supporting blizzard)
Score
August 5, 2010 10:57:59 PM

So better communication makes for better relations. ho woulda thunk it! :D 
Score
Anonymous
August 5, 2010 11:16:15 PM

You guys need to understand that Blizzard wants to keep the game relatively family-friendly, as not ALL Starcraft 2 players live in their parents' basement and can handle all the pseudo-nudity and prejudice some people choose to put in their maps. I'm not saying that Blizzard is completely right, they could have implemented a better system that allows you to see maps they don't approve of rather than just killing it. But don't be so damn unreasonable when they're trying.
Score
August 5, 2010 11:28:37 PM

this all depends...

can you distribute, and play online with online buddies any map you want without submitting it to blizzard's official channel and undergoing their scrutiny?? can you even play your own maps with friends over LAN? (NO...)

or is their way the ONLY way to play and trade maps with your friends..

if so.. F*** YOU BLIZZARD!!

I can FULLY understand that they would want to censor content hosted by them. thats perfectly FINE! but ONLY if there is another way!! same BS as with Apple.
Score
August 5, 2010 11:41:33 PM

That is another reason why there is no LAN. They want in control >:( 
Score
August 5, 2010 11:43:20 PM

trialsking"Eventually it was revealed that unit movement patterns accidentally formed a "certain anti-Semite symbol" on a minimap within Ultimate Take Defense."Where is the ACLU to defend the Nazi point of view? Surely their are a minority who needs an advocate?!?!?

The swastika is the oldest of ancient symbols dating back as far as 1000 BCE, where it was found on pottery. It's almost universally used to represent positive messages, like good luck, and could be found on the uniforms of some American soldiers prior to WWII.

Yeah, the Nazi's used the symbol. How that automatically makes any glance of it anti-semitic, or evil, or offensive, or anything like that is beyond me. There are Native American cultures who used the swastica for crying out load.
Score
August 5, 2010 11:48:48 PM

I didn't mean to quote trialsking, btw... just no edit button =)
Score
August 5, 2010 11:50:13 PM

Lol, stop b*tching. They remove one map and suddenly it's the end of the world? Grow up for Christ's sake.
Score
August 6, 2010 12:01:32 AM

Big brother strikes again. Personally I play on private servers because of this.
Score
Anonymous
August 6, 2010 12:08:45 AM

It seems like I'm paying money for "inappropriate" censorship.
Score
August 6, 2010 12:14:12 AM

You should read about the other gripes people have with custom map making and battle.net. It's really hurting starcraft 2's image.
Score
August 6, 2010 12:43:36 AM

Historically the swastika was the symbol of the Nazi party. It is only anti-semitic by association. I think it's a pretty far call to assume anything that even remotely looks like a swastika has anything to do with (anti)jewish sentiment. And even if it clearly was a swastika, then I'd still say it's next to impossible to exclude the flag of Nazi-germany from games, as a lot of games have war themes anyway.
Score
August 6, 2010 12:43:54 AM

It shaped a anti-Semite symbol by accident and the map is removed? That's ridiculous...
Score
August 6, 2010 12:46:45 AM

I'm sure that for every map deleted, there's a ton of other people making THE SAME BLOODY MAP, but doing it right.

Cheers!
Score
August 6, 2010 1:12:23 AM

The swastika is Indian symbol for good luck. It is offensive to Indians in America to remove such non-oppresive and ancient symbol, just because somebody illiterate enough thinks it is anti-semitic by default...It is said to see how un-educated people became...
Score
August 6, 2010 1:55:58 AM

NaziCraft II?
Score
August 6, 2010 2:34:44 AM

inappropriate content could mean a lot of things.
Score
August 6, 2010 3:01:33 AM

I like the way WC3 handles custom maps. Easy sharing. :) 
Though I'd be more than happy if they completely blocked those damned rickrolling maps...

What if we want to make a map called 'Axis vs Allies', in the form of Footmen vs. Grunts? Make it so it's impossible for the Nazi's to win, just so someone isn't offended?

If a map is offensive to you, then play a different one. If I want to play something involving penis' and Nazi's, than I will.
Score
August 6, 2010 3:43:14 AM

Swastikas aren't only Nazi's. They've been use for centuries on lots of different cultures for perfectly normal things. Why does Blizzard have to say that the swastika on "my map" (I don't have SC2) is a nazi swastika and not a Hindu swastika?
Score
August 6, 2010 3:51:58 AM

The swathik is a symbol of positiveness as people have mentioned. What ppl over here have not mentioned is that the nazis did not use it. If you look at the pattern you will see that it is the reverse of the actual symbol...
the symbol used by nazis have been associated with their movement with all its ideals. but that does not mean that the actual older one is anti semitic
Score
August 6, 2010 4:05:20 AM

WTF Blizzard I was going to buy sc2 but not any more! bunch of hipacrits!
Score
August 6, 2010 4:36:23 AM

Because swastikas are now seen as a symbol of hate. It's a shame that the original meaning has been perverted, but that doesn't change the fact that most people today associate it with Nazism.
Score
August 6, 2010 6:41:29 AM

WWII was 65 years ago, move on.
Score
August 6, 2010 7:08:36 AM

What game is this? Oh, the Ubisoft-style DRM one.
Nevermind.
Score
August 6, 2010 7:17:22 AM

i hate racist alot , but seriously blizard ...there is a constitution for a reason and hoenstly i see this kind of behavior as highly hypocritical comging from agame company. one one hand you have game companies trying to get video games protected for censorship under fine art laws , and then on the other hand you are going to censor user made maps ??? when the goverment knocks on your door overcnesoring , don't go crying to us about your problem.
Score
August 6, 2010 7:18:32 AM

meant protected from censoprship
Score
August 6, 2010 7:29:24 AM

firedustBecause swastikas are now seen as a symbol of hate. It's a shame that the original meaning has been perverted, but that doesn't change the fact that most people today associate it with Nazism.

well truth be told what a symbol meant doesnt really matter to the public , what matters to most people is what it means today. take teh pentegram for instance originally it was a druidic symbol used in rebirth and harvest rituals , but durring teh middle ages teh roman catholics in thier quest to stamp out all non christian religons labeled the pentegram as a satanic symbol. eventually most the druids of europe were wiped out and every one forgot what the symbol really meant until more reccent times when it was revived to it's original purpose by the wiccans , however even with this new revival of the pentegram most people still view this sysmbol as a satanic symbol because christian denominations stil say it is.

another example of how history cahnges teh meaning of a symbol , is the eygitian cross , today it represents woman hood and feminality, originally it was just a royal stamp used by the first female ruler of egypt for money as well as messages , though this example is unique from teh other in that , while the meaning of this symbol did change ,it wasn'tcahnged to something compeltely different given that the Queen that used this was the first female ruler in the history of not only egypt but the world as a whole really.
Score
August 6, 2010 8:28:14 AM

I am an Israeli Jew (by culture, not religion) and I was raised and educated in the shadow of the Holocaust. I personally talked to survivors from the Nazi death camps and I know that even the sight of the swastika can be painful for them. I know that this subject is way beyond being pc and it deals with emotions and memories from unimaginable hellish experiences for those people.
I know I am not objective about this subject and I am probably biased against the use of swastikas yet Blizzard is offending me personally by removing this map without warning. I am sure that this was an accident. Just explain what might be offensive and move on.
It is true that I am offended when I see a swastika but it is a small price to pay to keep my freedom. I am an adult and I can deal with it. Living in a censored world is much more offending for me. You want to spare people's feelings? Put a label on this map: "some people may find this map offensive". I love every game that Blizzard ever made. I am a huge fan but I don't want to give anyone, not even Blizzard, the power to judge right and wrong for me. You have to realize that not all shapes of swastikas are made to promote Nazism. If someone designs a map and a swastika is created by accident I may have a problem with that but some people might enjoy playing this map and that is ok. It's not making them Nazis, It doesn't making them anti-Semitic. If the designer chooses to avoid this shape I will appreciate it but I don't want to force him to do it.
Cyrileo, Brashnard, I am sorry for all your trouble. Thank you for being considerate and changing the map. I know Blizzard's intentions are good but please change your policy. It is not protecting me. I am a victim of it.
Score
August 6, 2010 8:42:08 AM

Tom's Hardware daily StarCraft II report strikes again!
Score
August 6, 2010 10:52:30 AM

Blizzard and its B.net starting to STINK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Score
August 6, 2010 12:26:55 PM

icepick314dammit!!!if I don't want to play on a map full of penis and Nazi swastika, I'll choose myself, thank you!!!I don't need moral police telling me what's bad and good for me...I have a brain...I can think and choose for myself....

you might have a brain but you also have nothing to lose. blizzard can be sued for it because this is america and thats how we all want to get rich. all they need is butthurt mr broflofski to file a lawsuit and they lose millions because this ass didnt change his pathfinding. and you know they would lose because everyone in this country loves to find big companies guilty so they lose money. most of you are infant whiners turning this into a huge thing like your freedoms are being infringed because you cant play a nazi map. this will fall on deaf ears but grow up.
Score
August 6, 2010 12:46:55 PM

Lol it's funny all the people complaining must not have played Warcraft III. They also monitored maps for that game in an extreme way - especially upon release.
Score
August 6, 2010 12:50:54 PM

All you SC2 Fans have to remember Blizzard is not Blizzard any more but are Activisions bitch.
Score
August 6, 2010 12:51:05 PM

The original Starcraft had too many Nazi Defense games and many other Racist types... KKK Maps and so on.

Unfortunately, sometimes well made maps and quite fun but some people have such hate that they should seek some help.

Yes, I am Jewish, but I can say I really don't hate the germans, in fact I do admire the strategic accomplishments... with an exception obviously... and I do enjoy Company of Heroes, playing as the germans.

But Nazi D and other original starcraft maps have often been made by some poorly raised frustrated little boys and I have seen so much racism on the chats of those maps.

"Keeping people from seeing your hate speech and obscene images on our private game service is not the same as relinquishing your constitutional freedoms in the hopes of increased personal/familial security."

I agree ! Good Job Blizzard...
Score
August 6, 2010 1:06:22 PM

Censorship was used in Nazi Germany and could be seen as offensive, should Blizzard ban itself?
Score
August 6, 2010 4:03:05 PM

Oh this makes sense, take a game thats about war and genocide and block content for the word ass... makes complete sence... 0_o
Score
August 6, 2010 4:39:17 PM

"Where is the ACLU to defend the Nazi point of view? Surely their are a minority who needs an advocate?!?!?"

Actually the ACLU fought for their rights to have a parade in a jewish neighborhood near Chicago. So stfu now.
Score
August 6, 2010 4:40:01 PM

"Censorship was used in Nazi Germany and could be seen as offensive, should Blizzard ban itself?"

Censorship exists in modern Germany, when it comes to things pertaining to nazis.
Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!