Non-booting KT7A-Raid

G

Okay, I finally managed to get all my components together and installed, but now my new system refuses to boot. I get four long beeps from my motherboard, and then it shuts down. According to the unofficial FAQ, "these versions of the BIOS will shut down your machine if no fan tachometer signal is detected on FAN1 header."

I've peeked in the case when starting up, and the fan attached to my heatsink doesn't seem to be working, even though it's attached to the FAN1 header. It rotated fine when I detached it and blew on it, but it doesn't seem to be getting power when it's actually turned on. It will jump a few times, and then immediately stop, as if it's getting brief spurts of power. Does this sound more like a problem with the fan itself, or with the motherboard? I'm concerned that I might've shorted out the motherboard with static electricity when I was installing everything; would it still do this if it had been shorted? Nothing ever appears on my screen during this; my monitor never appears to be activated from the sleep state. Thanks for any help.

G

Forgot to mention that this is a stock fan/heatsink that came with a 1.1 GHZ retail package, if that makes any difference.

G

The fan on the fan 1 header must be between 2000 and 5000 rpm before the board will work. If it is below 2000 the board will shut down automatically.

If you can, borrow a fan from a buddy (or buy one that you can return if that turns out the fan is not the problem) and try it out to see if it works.

If not try clearing your CMOS through putting the Jumper on clear for a few seconds while the computer is off, and then back to normal.

Good luck....

K6-2+ 550

G

Whatever you do, DO NOT REMOVE THE HEATSINK AND RUN YOUR COMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...... i just did and bye bye 1.2 ghz processor!!!!!!!! DOH! They werent kidding when they said do not run them without the heatsink attatched... It takes about 3 seconds to see smoke. Ill be the first kid on the block with a 1.2 ghz processor on my keychain.