Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Trouble with game servers

Last response: in Video Games
February 24, 2011 12:57:36 AM

Alright, my computer was bought for me October 18th, 2008 for my 12th birthday. Only a few months later, I decided to try and run a Counter-Strike: Source server. My first attempt didn't go so well. My second attempt I had everything done exactly as I was told, and the server was running fine. However, there was one problem; not one person from the outside of my LAN could connect. I had the original person that helped me make the server look at it, and he couldn't find any problems.

About a year later, after making friends that had more knowledge on the subject, and gaining much needed knowledge myself, I tried again. It took me about 1/8 the time to set it up, but still, no one could connect. I double checked everything; files, file location, ports, and whatever else there was. Neither my friends nor I could figure out the problem. This problem applies to all servers except that of L4D and L4D2 that are made by choosing "Host Local Server" in game.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 530 (Service Code 4069DH1) with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, an Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 @ 2.66GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 350Watt Dell PSU, Dell LGA775 Motherboard, and an Nvidia GeForce GT 240(GDDR5 version) GPU.

If you think you can figure out the problem, or need more information for an evaluation, please reply. Thanks in advance.

More about : trouble game servers

Best solution

February 24, 2011 4:04:19 PM

Just because the server itself is setup correctly does not mean you setup the network part right. How did you setup your connection to the outside world through your router/firewall and such? Can your server be reached by name or IP from the internet? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/allow-remot... Although it states for Windows 7, the basics are the same for any OS, especially the last few parts about port forwarding and getting an IP to connect to.

BTW, for 15, great description of the issue and trying to get this working, people 2-3 times your age can't explain what they want most of the time on here.
February 24, 2011 6:49:26 PM

Best answer selected by Kethsar.
Score
Related resources
February 24, 2011 6:50:34 PM

Thanks for the help. Apparently my firewall was blocking all incoming TCP and UDP connections, even if the port was forwarded. Solved now, thanks again!
Score
February 24, 2011 8:34:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!