Netgear WG121 and ssid broadcast

I currently have a Netgear WG121 usb 2 adapter connecting to a netgear
DG834G wireless router. Also using Windows XP SP2 and the latest
drivers (ver 2.0) for the adapter.

If i disable ssid broadcast, the adapter does not connect, it scans
all the channels but is not able to connect using WPA-PSK encryption.
If I enable ssid broadcast then the machine connects successfully.

Is there a way for it to work without broadcasting the ssid?
3 answers Last reply
More about netgear wg121 ssid broadcast

    There is a microsoft article about this. They reccommend not turning off
    SSID broadcast just for the reason you are speaking of. They say it is by
    design. Even if you are setting next to your AP, XP2 will not see you and
    will connect to any other AP that is broadcasting down the street. Its also
    a good idea to broadcast it, if for nothing else, to let your neighbor know
    you are there and what channel you are using so he can switch to a different
    one.
    If you go to support.microsft.com and select XP and search SSID you should
    find the article.

    "Jerichohol" <jerichohol@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I currently have a Netgear WG121 usb 2 adapter connecting to a netgear
    > DG834G wireless router. Also using Windows XP SP2 and the latest
    > drivers (ver 2.0) for the adapter.
    >
    > If i disable ssid broadcast, the adapter does not connect, it scans
    > all the channels but is not able to connect using WPA-PSK encryption.
    > If I enable ssid broadcast then the machine connects successfully.
    >
    > Is there a way for it to work without broadcasting the ssid?

    Thanks for the reply.

    Here is the article

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427

    Yeah my neigbour uses the ssid "Netgear" so I dont that should be a problem either.

    I suppose the best way to secure it is using WPA-PSK and a strong network key

    "Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message news:<419e72f3$0$793$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com>...
    > There is a microsoft article about this. They reccommend not turning off
    > SSID broadcast just for the reason you are speaking of. They say it is by
    > design. Even if you are setting next to your AP, XP2 will not see you and
    > will connect to any other AP that is broadcasting down the street. Its also
    > a good idea to broadcast it, if for nothing else, to let your neighbor know
    > you are there and what channel you are using so he can switch to a different
    > one.
    > If you go to support.microsft.com and select XP and search SSID you should
    > find the article.

    If you use the Windows Wireless Zero configuration utility, then yes,
    you could possibly have "minor" problems if you disable the broadcast of
    your SSID, however, if you use the utility that came with your device,
    especially the awesome Netgear utility, I doubt if you experience such
    minor issues. Still, I recommend that you change many of your "DEFAULT"
    settings, including the IP address. A long encryption key would be
    great especially if your devices support non-ascii characters.

    Jerichohol wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > Here is the article
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427
    >
    > Yeah my neigbour uses the ssid "Netgear" so I dont that should be a problem either.
    >
    > I suppose the best way to secure it is using WPA-PSK and a strong network key
    >

    > "Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message news:<419e72f3$0$793$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com>...
    >
    >>There is a microsoft article about this. They reccommend not turning off
    >>SSID broadcast just for the reason you are speaking of. They say it is by
    >>design. Even if you are setting next to your AP, XP2 will not see you and
    >>will connect to any other AP that is broadcasting down the street. Its also
    >>a good idea to broadcast it, if for nothing else, to let your neighbor know
    >>you are there and what channel you are using so he can switch to a different
    >>one.
    >>If you go to support.microsft.com and select XP and search SSID you should
    >>find the article.

Connection Netgear SSID Wireless Networking