Help with A7V KT133

G

Hello,

I've just purchased A7V KT133, AMD's Thunderbird 1GHz, 128MB PC133 RAM and a new tower case. I'm having a problem getting it to work.

I'll explain: I've managed to install the motherboard, CPU, CPU's fan, memory and the hard disk into the case, successfully. But I'm having a problem detecting my hard drive when the computer boots up. The BIOS sees the hard disk but the motherboard refuses to boot up with it. The hard disk is Quantum make and is UltraDMA/66. I've tried connecting the disk to primary IDE controler, secondary IDE controler, then I get a message:

"Ultra 100 BIOS is not installed because there are no drivers attached.".

If I connect to primary or secondary Ultra ATA100 IDE controler the disk isn't detected, which didn't supprise me. I've tried using both types of cables, UltraDMA 100 and 33 compatible. And no go, the computer just sits there beeping at me :)

I've tried to fiddle with the frequency multiplier which is at 10.0, I've tried to bring it down to 9.0, but the PC wouldn't boot then. External frequency setting is at 100MHz.

I know that the disk is working since I took it out of my old PC.

What do I do next to get this thing to work ?

Thanks for your time :)

G

Hello -

Since you're using a DMA 66 IDE you need not be concerned with the ATA-100 controller, which is listed as a SCSI device in the BIOS. To this extent, just make sure your HDD is plugged into the normal, non-ata100 channel.

Then go into your bios and you will have a selection appear to boot from IDE hard drive. as a precaution, make sure all referances to SCSI controller (in your boot order or whatever) are disabled.

If you get an ATA-100 drive (keyword: IBM 7,200 rpm) you will then boot from this SCSI controller, but only after you have installed the driver in normal windows mode. Most of the guys here do this in DOS Platforms (Win 98, Win ME) by first installing the OS with the ATA100 plugged into the normal channel (normal HD boot, by-passing the SCSI controller), installing the ata-100 driver (its called a mass storage device in device manager), shutting down and putting the cable into the ata100 port. then back to the bios, move SCSI controller up to primary boot item, and bingo you have ata100.

Windows 2000 of course is differant. post again for that ;-)

Later, Jim

:cool: <font color=blue>Micron DDR Cult Member</font color=blue>