Sign in with
Your question

Desktop reolution and refresh rate affect IN-Game performance?

Last response: in Video Games
February 24, 2011 10:13:21 PM

My monitor is 22'' with a native resolution of 1680x1050 at 60 Hz. I was wondering if i changed the resolution of my desktop to 1024x768 with 75 Hz would that affect my in-game performance? Because of the +15Hz? or does he refresh rate in-game just stay the same and that would just affect the desktop? Pretty much i want to know if changing the resolution of my desktop affects in-game at all, Or if at least the refresh rate does..

The game I play is a online fps game called Combat Arms. And basically im just trying to figure out if playing at different resolutions affect the way my shots register and how big the hotboxes are and stuff, ill probably ask another question about this later.

THanks!
February 25, 2011 12:47:19 AM

your resolution has nothing to do with how shots register. changnig your resolution will probably get you better fps in game.
February 25, 2011 2:03:45 PM

No, your desktop has nothing to do with in-game performance, as the game switches to its own resolution when its launched.

Neither does adjusting the refresh rate, which only deals with when frames are outputted, and not how fast they are created.
Related resources
February 28, 2011 1:10:07 PM

But you actually can benefit, with the extra 15Hz refresh rate the response time will reduce and therefore the gameplay in the sense of actions you make(e.g. run,jump) will seem real-time.You won't get any FPS boost though.
February 28, 2011 6:15:16 PM

^^ That extra Hz matters ONLY if your GPU is capable of rendering >60 FPS.
!