Last response: in Video Games
February 25, 2011 1:47:47 AM

I think I have a rather low level PC for gaming :(  :- E7300 @2.66GHz
2GB 800MHz DDR2 Hynix RAM
500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
250 GB Western Digital 7200rpm
1 GB HD 5670
18.5"TFT(1366x768)

I have asked many..they have advised me to change the PC :pfff:  but presently I can't..and still would like to play some good games..Now My ques is does OS favours Gaming..If so plz suggest Me a which OS should I install..presently i have vista ultimate sp1 installed..Thank you :hello: 

More about : gaming

February 25, 2011 2:15:28 AM

IMO Windows XP is the best. it uses the least resources and requires the least ram. and it's a solid OS. But it only supports Dx9 and neither Dx10 or Dx11 and your card does support Dx11. though it would be kinda difficult playing on Dx11 with that card since it's not the best. if you don't want such and older OS go with Windows 7 it's the next best thing and when Windows XP becomes obsolete that will be the new go to OS. i wouldn't see you having a problem with Windows 7 though apart from Dx11 gaming with that Gfx Card.
m
l
February 25, 2011 2:57:53 AM

Win7 64-Bit is the best.
Gives some cool features.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2011 3:31:14 AM

Win XP is a good solid OS for gaming that is not as bloated as Win 7 in terms of hard drive footprint and the OS uses less resources as well. The problem is it does not support DX10 or DX11. Those are only for Win Vista and Win 7. Win XP only supports up to DX9c. The good thing about DX9 is that it was a huge step up from all the other DX versions. It also gives the best performance of the three mentioned DX versions.

DX10 offers some minor improvements, but with a large performance drop. Is the improvement worth the drop in performance? No, not to me.

DX11 offers better improvements than DX10. The primary improvement that has just about every hardcore gamer falling over each other is Tessellation. Simply stated, Tessellation is on-the-fly increase of polygons in objects to create more detail / depth. However, this comes with a substantial decrease in performance since Tessellation requires quite a bit of GPU processing power. And only DX11 games that have implemented Tessellation can use it.

DX9 = Performance Winner.
DX11 = Eyecandy Winner.

However, DX9 is on it's way out. Eventually game developers will stop supporting it. Just Cause 2 is an example of a game that has dropped DX9 support.

The following are comparisons between DX9 and DX11. It's up to you to determine if DX11 is worth the decrease in performance:

Lost Planet 2

Dirt 2

Aliens Vs. Predator

m
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
June 23, 2011 5:36:39 AM

Mithness said:
IMO Windows XP is the best. it uses the least resources and requires the least ram. and it's a solid OS. But it only supports Dx9 and neither Dx10 or Dx11 and your card does support Dx11. though it would be kinda difficult playing on Dx11 with that card since it's not the best. if you don't want such and older OS go with Windows 7 it's the next best thing and when Windows XP becomes obsolete that will be the new go to OS. i wouldn't see you having a problem with Windows 7 though apart from Dx11 gaming with that Gfx Card.

therefore ?. what shud i use? . windows 7 or windows xp ?.. uhm by the way what kind of games support dx11. . i want to put many games in my pc many many games and most of it nid a 2gb video card. .pls i want ur suggestion.
m
l
June 23, 2011 6:48:27 AM

For you, I'd say windows XP. It doesn't support DirectX11, but you'll get better performance than you would with Windows 7, and you can play some older titles. If you went for Windows 7 it may look better, but it wouldn't perform as well.

Putting many many games in your computer is naive. Not only will it slow it down the more you put in, but your computer isn't a gaming computer, so it's not designed to properly handle what you seem to expect of it.

Why do most need a 2gig gaming card? If thats the case, then you'll have difficulty playing them.

If you expect to play every game, on at least medium settings (or if you're looking for high/ultra settings) then you need to upgrade elements of your rig :) 

Good luck anyway,
-Nih
m
l
June 26, 2011 3:26:18 AM

TBH Athem_248 I would go with Windows 7 but for the more demanding games, don't use Direct X11.

Games that i know of with Dx11
Crysis 2 (Soon to be patched with Dx11)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call Of Pripyat
Metro 2033
AVP
Battlefield Bad Company 2 (Seriously Suggest not using Dx11 with that Gfx Card)
Civ 5
Dirt 2&3
Total War: Shogun

Those are the games i know use Dx11 I may have missed some.

Any ways here comes my opinion hopefully nobody gets mad at me for saying this.

I Believe DX11 Is a Joke Actually, I See No Improvements whatsoever from DX9-11 Apart from the tessellation in games but I don't care for much. I find Dx11 Just a waste of resources TBH though it is better than Dx10.

-Mithness
m
l
June 26, 2011 2:46:10 PM

For your current rig with only 2gb of System RAM - that's going to be your bottleneck.

And if you want to upgrade to 4gb+ of RAM (which you should if you want to game) - then the best OS is Win7 64-bit.
m
l
June 27, 2011 8:35:12 AM

davewolfgang said:
For your current rig with only 2gb of System RAM - that's going to be your bottleneck.

And if you want to upgrade to 4gb+ of RAM (which you should if you want to game) - then the best OS is Win7 64-bit.

Agree completely. Get an additional 2GB of RAM, and switch to Windows 7 64bit. Your system is fast enough to handle it, and the 5670 will actually give you decent framerates, provided you don't try and play everything on max settings.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 27, 2011 11:04:24 AM

win 7 all the way... i have used every iteration of windows since 1986 its had its ups and downs. win 95 and 98 were also pretty good then xp which was the king. but if your really serious about gaming then win7 is the ultimate to date.

you can crow about how good xp is but the truth is that xp is eol this year so its a moot point whether you want to stay with it or not...

im probably older than most of you but il be adopting windows 8 within a few weeks of release. if i dont like it i will go back to 7 till windows 9 comes out. but i wont stay stuck in the past with limited options.

also all this chatter about 2gigs of ram not being enough and a bottleneck is a joke as well.
you need bandwith not huge amounts of ram.
if you have 1 gig of ram or even 750mb of free ram after your o.s has loaded you will see little or no improvement in games with till you get past 4 gigs and that improvement only comes because of the move to 64bit nothing else if a game uses 1 gig in xp it will use 1.5 gigs in win7 and vista
with xp you can game well enough on 1-2 gigs. on vista and win 7 you can game on 1.5-3...

i have six gigs and very occasionally i will go over 2gigs of ram used... and that happens less in gaming than when im burning a dvd.

xp is long past its sell by date and the why should i have to upgrade means your getting stuck in your ways...
btw the dx9 pix you have posted from lost planet 2 wont actually run on dx9 cards at anywhere near 30 fps so claiming that you can get the same or similar is actually laughable... the strongest dx9 cards were the 1950xtx and 7950gtx both them cards are actualy weaker than a 96gt and a 96gt will be lucky to pump out 20fps on lost planet even at dx9.
1 things for sure i dont know any 1 with a dx10 or dx11 card that doesnt upgrade there o.s to get the best out of there cards.

by the way. dx11 has loads of potential the problem that we have atm is that dx9 is still the dominant player in the market so its holding dx11 back, thats the real reason your not seeing any huge differences between dx9 and dx11 games.
in real terms dx9 on pc cant even match a console. the reason for that is that both the xbox360 and ps3 have modified dx9 gfx... so if you want the best in dx9 gaming get a console. there cheaper and you dont need to upgrade. problem solved.
m
l
July 1, 2011 6:28:52 AM

Window XP is the Best OS for gaming.
m
l
July 1, 2011 6:52:58 AM

AnnieBerries said:
Window XP is the Best OS for gaming.

I would have agreed with that two years ago, but not any more.
m
l
!