boot problems - no video - power won't reset

wmiller159

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2001
Building new computer today. Tested motherboard w/ cpu, memory, and video card installed. Posted fine, except it would reboot from within the bios setup program. Then, I attached the floppy drive and the hard drive and rebooted. The computer wouldn't post at all, the fans spun up and the hard drive and floppy drive initalized, but no video displayed. No beeps. Couldn't power the machine off using the power switch, had to turn off power by the switch on the power supply. Tried clearing the bios settings and reseating cpu, video card and memory. Didn't work. Any ideas?
Components used: abit kt7a, athlon 1G , 256mb corsair cas2 ram, matrox g200 agp video. btw- the hard drive, floppy, and the video card work fine in another computer.

components used:

G

any chance you unseated the memory module?

FIC AD11
128MB Crucial PC1600 DDR
Voodoo3 3000 PCI
Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI
SB Live!

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Check your motherboard front panel connections (make sure power and reset are on the right pins. Also make sure that neither of their ground wires is reversed).

Make sure your fan is on fan header 1.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

wmiller159

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2001
i've done all these things. crtl alt delete on the keyboard stopped working correctly also. i didn't move the power or reset connections in between the successful and unsuccesful boots. i'm beginiing to think the mb is bad. I just don't understand why it quit booting after 3 successful boots. If it was the hard drive or the floppy, removing these devices should have fixed the problem. Thanks for you post

wmiller159

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2001
another thing i tried was to hook the floppy drive back up after the problems started. during the boot sequence, the floppy light never came on so the post process must hang pretty early in the process. i may try putting another known good stick of ram in the machine just to see what happens, even though I don't think that is the issue.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
One more little thing.. Check that your floppy connection isn't upside-down. I hear of many people doing this by accident with this board.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

wmiller159

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2001
It wasn't, plus I removed the floppy and i still get no video and I have to turn the power off manually. Thanks for your post

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Hmmm... funny, it still sounds like jumpers/front panel connectors, but what do I know. Try swapping out the power supply from your other system and see what happens.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

wmiller159

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2001
latest news- took stables suggestion about swapping out power supplies- my other computer has a 300w power supply too,carefully checking pin orientations , but unfortunately got the same results. tried using a known good pc133 cas2 micron memory stick, no changes. right now my top three causes of these problems is:
1) motherboard
2) cpu
3) power supply
I know it sounds like something simple that i am overlooking
like the cpu fan not being in fan1, power switch pin orientations, improperly seated components, but i have checked these things carefully. Tommorrow, I plan on getting a local computer shop to test my motherboard and cpu so I can narrow this down further and get replacement parts from the vendor

G

i would agree w/your top three choices. check the cpu for damage. if the HSF installation wasn't satisfactory...? was your first power supply 12v DC? its also possible that your mounting screws for the mobo are causing a short some how.

i don't think your problem is w/the power supply unit, per se. because your second PS would have resolved the problem. check that the power supply connection on the mobo is not damaged somehow.

G

Your computer is fine....

#1, make sure its grounded properly
#2, make sure all the power connections are in the board properly, as well as hard drive and cd rom etc..
#3, Make sure the video card is in properly, take out and put back in, and check all the cards
#4 make sure the IDE cables are in correctly my Tbird with my Gigabyte board had the same problem, a ide cable wasnt in fully..
Also check that they are in the right end, only one end works with the board and drive..
Check all the Voltage settings, it actually sounds like its set wrong..

wmiller159

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2001
tbirdinside,
Tell me what I need to do to check the voltage settings and to make sure its grounded properly. the other things u mentioned i've done already. keep in mind that i'm just trying to boot the computer w/ just the mb,cpu,ram,and video card

G

I'm having the same problem with my ABIT mb, no video when I power on, but I have this 2 tone siren noise from the internal speaker, do you hear any beeps from the mb?

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
I found this on Abit's web site, I hope it helps!

ABIT:
If you find that your system cannot power-on on its own, and must be unplugged and re-plugged each time you need to do so, first clear the CMOS jumper to remove any "garbage" CMOS data reset the BIOS settings to their defaults. First, turn off the system. Then move the CMOS jumper from its default 1-2 location to the 2-3 position for several seconds before moving it back. Turn on the system and press the <Del> key to enter the BIOS setup screen. Set the correct CPU speed, then save and exit the setup screen.

(Note from me: Don't forget to pull your power cord FIRST and also don't forget to move the jumper back to Pins 1-2!) This could prevent system from booting!

Then I checked a great site that gives super support for the KT7's. "Paul's Unofficial Abit KT7 Motherboard FAQ"
Here's the link to get there.

http://www.icrontic.com/faqs/kt7faq/faqboot.html

Choose the third option down in the second group (located in red in the far left column labeled "Boot/Restart/Shutdown" to get started.

Checking these things 1 by 1 usually fixes any problems I have seen with the KT7. He's really (and I mean REALLY) done a great job with his FAQ's. I wish Asus had something like this.

Let us know how you come out!
Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
I replied to your two-tone siren issue in your original post. Did you get a chance to check your capacitors? If not, take a look at your post's thread and you'll see what I found out regarding the two-toned siren issue.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

wmiller159

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2001
All,
Thanks for your help. I was able to test my abit motherboard with a known good cpu and test my cpu with a known good abit motherboard. results- my motherboard is defective

G

Properly grounded means...

In the case that its in.. U use those Brass gold colored screws that go into the tower back plate then the board goes into those screws that grounds it, the MB cannot have any metal touching.
Make sure u use the proper amount of screws and make sure they are in the proper places..

I once blew a board by not having that grounded properly

Also check the back of the power supply make sure its on 115v