Diversity

I understand "diversity" is related to the received signal, not the
transmitted signal.

If true, would say a WAP11 "remember" which antenna to use for each IP
address?

My intentions - Using two directional antennas on AP with two clients
using directional antennas at less than 2 miles from AP.

thanks

In article <1100904407.C+IQZFg9lQ9OL3YRgeIYcg@teranews>,
<nothere@usa.net> wrote:
:I understand "diversity" is related to the received signal, not the
:transmitted signal.

:If true, would say a WAP11 "remember" which antenna to use for each IP
:address?

The antenna used to receive can vary from packet to packet, since
the time of reception and the signal strength at any one antenna
can change noticably with changes at what humans would consider quite
small scales. (A half-wave change is only about 2 1/2 " at 2.4 GHz.)
For example, you might shift your chair back a few inches and that
could affect which antenna was best. And if you happen to be near a
window near a road, the strongest bounce signal might come off a
passing lorry (metal) instead of off the wall (e.g., wood tends to
absorb that frequency instead of reflecting it.)

:My intentions - Using two directional antennas on AP with two clients
:using directional antennas at less than 2 miles from AP.

I'd say you should go for a dual-radio AP with dual antenna sets.
Otherwise, your collision domain becomes up to 4 miles in diameter.
If A and B both transmit at the same time, then with a diversity antenna
setup, the signals are going to hit both antenna and the AP will only
be able to accept one of the packets at a time. To avoid this
problem, you either need the radio equivilent of "token ring",
or the two remote sites have to be able to hear each other so that they
can negotiate collision control.
--
I predict that you will not trust this prediction.

Ordinarily the antenna that recieved the last best signal will transmit
using the same antenna.
<nothere@usa.net> wrote in message

> I understand "diversity" is related to the received signal, not the
> transmitted signal.
>
> If true, would say a WAP11 "remember" which antenna to use for each IP
> address?
>
> My intentions - Using two directional antennas on AP with two clients
> using directional antennas at less than 2 miles from AP.
>
> thanks

Another thought is to vertical polorize one antenna and horizontal the
other