GTA IV poor performace...

I've sure there's a million threads like this but I was wondering if it's an issue with my configuration. I have well more than enough to run this game maxed out.

Here's the issue: According to fraps with the game maxed out (View dist at 80) I have about 40 fps, which is playable to me. The problem is that the game will roller coaster in terms of time scale. My fps never drops below 30 but the time scale in the game appears to fluctuate between slow motion and normal speed making driving nearly impossible. I would say it slows down by about 10 or 20% for a second or two then returns to normal and repeats the process 3 or 4 seconds later. I even does this with the settings i used on my old rig before i rebuilt.

Old rig:
Intel Core 2 Quad q660 4 CPUs@2.4 GHZ
3 GB ram
nVidia GeForce 9500 GT
Intel D975XBX2 Motherboard

New rig:
Intel Core i7 950 bloomfield 4 CPUs @ 3.06 GHZ
6 GB ram
AMD HD 6850
EVGA x58 SLI3 Motherboard

Of course I'm using the New rig right now.

The question i have is whether or not it's an issue with the graphics card or a hardware setup issue, all my drivers are up to date as of yesterday.

Thanks (:
4 answers Last reply
More about poor performace
  1. GTA 4 is poorly optimized. But with your rig you should run at average of above 60fps with no lag at all. My old rig which is just Q8400 @ 3.2ghz Oc 8gb ram GTS250 1 gb runs at 55fps at high settings. I see dozen having problems especially with ATI cards but i'm not sure if that's the culprit.
  2. Meh it's very frustrating that i get better performance out of a 2 year old graphics card than one that came out less than 6 months ago.
  3. Okay, after a lot of searching I found the solution.

Create a text file in the GTA root directory called Commandline.txt in that textfile add the following commands
    -refreshrate 31
    -framelimit 1[/cpp]

This will limit the frame rate at 31. Not sure why it works but it does.

I can now max every setting without this issue occurring. Sometimes I get occasional FPS dip to about 15 or so but I would much rather have that every 10 minutes and the game be playable in between than what I had before.

I'm not interested in the points or whatever but is there a way to make this the best answer as it is the solution to the issue?

If not just close the thread please.
  4. Actually, no...
    You can't give yourself the best answer.
    Just give it to venjhammet.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Games Video Games