Win98 won't load on K7T Pro2A

G

I just put together an MSI K7T Pro2A with a 900 MHz Athlon, PC133 RAM and ATI AGP video. Board boots o.k., runs scandisk o.k., then falls over just after "Scanning system registry" message with the following:
"Standard Mode: Fault outside of MS-DOS Extender", followed by what looks like a register dump. I'ver tried just about every combination in the BIOS. The setting which lets the OS load is disabling internal and external cache, but the system runs slower than a 286. Any suggestions?
And what's up with MSI USA phone numbers being disconnected?

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
What brand, make and model RAM do you have installed? Also, what operating system are you running? What is your AGP speed set to and what is your AGP driving value? What hard disk are you using? What is your BIOS version? Do you have Memory Parity/ECC Check disabled (should be)?

You should not have to disable your caches, but you may have to disable "System BIOS Cacheable" if you have an application conflict.

Thanks
Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

G

Don't know brand of RAM. Bought two sticks at Frys Electronics, both unbuffered PC133. First stick is 256 MB generic with 90 day warranty and second stick is 128 MB with lifetime warranty. Same OS loading problem with either stick.

OS is Windows 98 second edition.

Couldn't find an AGP speed setting in BIOS. AGP driving control is set to auto which prevents setting driving value, although driving value displays DA. AGP aperture size is 64M.

Hard drive is Maxtor model 91021U2 10.2 GB, 5400 rpm, 512 KB buffer, ATA66.

BIOS is Award Modular BIOS v6.00PC W6330MS V2.2. This is the most recent version available from MSI web site.

Memory parity is disabled and System BIOS cacheable is disabled.

Thanks for the response.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Did you pull this drive out of a running system with Windows 98 S/E already on it, or did you load the O/S from scratch? If you did the former, you will have to re-format the drive and start over. It sounds like the registry is definately corrupted so a reload is in order. If you have valuable data on this drive, you will need to install another drive to get started and then migrate the data there before performing the format.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

dhlucke

Polypheme
not enough details of your error, but if it gets through scandisk and then errors at the serial number input or around there, it could be a number of items.

If you are getting SUWIN errors or random errors, you are overheating.

"I think I brained my damage"