Jetway 663AS Bios Flash Problem ...

G

Hi there i have a Jetway 663AS motherboard with 663asa03.bin 4/10/2000 bios and i am trying to reflash my bios as at times my system is not too stable ...

I have no problem with the board as i like it but when i try to reflash my bios with the instructions in the manual using awdflash.exe when i type in the msdos line

Awdflash A:\663ASA06.bin/sn/py/cc/r/nbl

or

Awdflash A:\663ASA06.bin/sn/py/cc/r

All that happens is a help screen comes up telling me about the different switches etc ...

When i actually run Awdflash.exe first then try then i get as far as it is asking me if i want to save my old bios settings when i say no i get the error message ...

The program files bios lock string does not match your system ...

I am using the Awdflash.exe from the Jetway website and the 663ASA06.BIN and following the instructions thoroughly and i cannot get the required results can anyone tell me what is wrong ?

Thank You In Advance ...

Darren

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
I believe these are the correct procedures for flashing the BIOS on this board. Note: I would DEFINATELY backup your old BIOS when it asks. Just save it as "oldbios"

1) Make sure that the floppy boot disk you are using has EMPTY autoexec.bat and config.sys files. If there is anything in them, delete the contents and reboot onto the floppy again before attempting to perform the flash. You shouldn't be loading ANY device drivers or have any settings established before performing the BIOS update.

2) make sure to put your command setting string in using CAPS.

3) You should be running the program from the DOS boot disk and therefore it should read like this (leave out the A: you mentioned in your post):

Awdflash 663asa06.bin /SN /PY /CC /R /NBL
WITH the spaces between each setting!

Let me know how you come out!

As a heads up, you should also check out the below web page for new drivers.

http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/download/driver/index-1.htm

The via 4in1 driver will probably help to clear up any stability issues remaining after you flash the BIOS. I would also note that Jetway has been commenting about lock-up issues relating to people that have ignored the comment made in the update box. "If you had installed VIA driver Rev 4.12 or earlier please uninstall that first then install the new driver."

If you have the 4.13 or later 4in1 drivers, you don't have to uninstall them, but DEFINATELY should if you have 4.12 or earlier!

Good luck!
Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by stable on 02/19/01 01:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Hey good call Stable thank you so much i followed your instructions and HEY PRESTO !!!

I GOT NEW BIOS !!!

Yipee !!!

;0)

Thank You ...

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Great.. Glad we could help.

As for the Unistall procedure that you asked for:

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALREADY DOWNLOADED THE NEW 4in1 FILE BEFORE STARTING THIS PROCEDURE! For reference here, I am assuming that you saved the new 4in1 .ZIP file to C:\VIA428\
Then when you unzip, you told it to unzip the files to C:\VIA228 also. During the unzip, it will create a sub-directory called: "C:\VIA428\4in1428v(a)\" and several sub-directories from there.

Okay, now the procedures for Uninstalling the old (Pre 4.13) version of 4in1.

1) Go to the directory where the SETUP.EXE file is for the (Pre-version 4.13) VIA 4in1 drivers currently on your system... (NOT where the new 4.28 drivers are) and run it.

Hint: If you can't remember where you installed them, do a search for "via*.*" and that should tell you. Keep in mind that it will also see the new 4.28 drivers in this search, but those should all be listed in sub-directories of the location where you unzipped the drivers, so they should be easy to spot.)

2) Click "Uninstall" on all screens and "finish" at the end.

3) Reboot.

NOW... during the reboot you are going to see:
A) Either some errors and/or
B) New devices located, select drivers...

DO NOT INSTALL ANY NEW DEVICE DRIVERS!
CLICK 'SKIP' DURING THIS PROCEDURE TO GET TO YOUR WINDOWS DESKTOP! Don't worry about possible problems, we are going to fix that next.

Next, run the 4.28 4in1 "Setup.exe" program and install ALL of the new drivers. Be sure to click the enable DMA check box when you see it. Also, go ahead and enable Turbo mode video if you have a 4X AGP controller (the drivers work fine now).

Once completed, Reboot.

Now, your system will see the new devices located again. When asked for the location of the drivers, point to the sub-directory of the operating system name where you unzipped the NEW 4.28 4in1 drivers. ( I.E. "C:\VIA428\4in1428v(a)\WIN9X" ) for the following files:
VATAPI.VXD
VIADSK.CAT
VIAVSD.INF

And so on for any other files it needs.
and C:\
Once this is done, wait for your system to come all the way back up to the Windows desktop.

Then do a reboot AGAIN.

If you have AGP4x Video then:
During the Reboot, Hit Delete to enter the BIOS.
Go to video section and set your video card up for Turbo mode.
Save & Exit BIOS (which should reboot your system)

The system MAY again see new devices. If it does, again, have it load the drivers from the directory where you unzipped the NEW 4.28 4in1 drivers.

If it did detect new devices during this last reboot, when you get to your desktop, reboot ONE MORE TIME. This will finalize the installation (after the POST of this final boot).

You should now be done, and flying.
Good Luck and Enjoy.
Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

G

Please accept my sincere thanks for your help with my problem and for the time you must have spent helping me everything is running much smoother now than before :0)

Darren

Out of everything the being of nothingness is the greatest ...