New TBird System Problems

G

Hi all. I just finnished putting together a new system and I would like advice on a fairly specific problem.
The system:
Socket A Tbird 750
Chrome Orb Fan
Chaintech AJA100 mobo (audio disabled)
128 mb pc 133 (one stick)
Abit Siluro GeForce 2 MX (32 mb)
SB Live!value
6gb Fujitsu 7200 RPM HD (IDE)
Matsushita CD-RW (IDE)
Floppy
AT 2500 TX nic
Generic Case w 300 watt power (ATX)

The problem:
After about an hour or so, if I try to do any large access to the CD (more than about 2 minutes of access) the machine locks up tight. I have to power down from the case switch about half the time (ctrl-alt-del doesn't work). This doesn't seem to affect HD access, as I can continue to game, so long as the machine doesn't need to read from the cd to much.

I have swapped out the mobo, the hd ,the cdrom, the IDE cables. I also swapped in a 250w Power supply, which made things worse (obviously too small).

The question:
So I pretty much think this is power issue, as the smaller power suply amplified the problem. The question is a new 300w or do I just bite the bulit and get a 330? Anybody else had this issue with this mobo?

Thanks.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
What IDE connector is the CD-ROM on and is the drive setup as Master or slave? What are your PIO/DMA settings for this device? Do you have "Sync data transfer" box checked? (See Device Manager for that).

Your devices do suck up a lot of power, but having the system in DMA mode with sync checked may resolve your problems. A good power supply is always recommend though. We recommend the Enermax (350watt & up) units with the AMD thermal option.

Thanks
Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by stable on 02/19/01 12:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

The cdrom is master on the secondary channel.
I will need to check the settings in device mangler, and get back to you.

350 eh? seems reasonable.

G

OK! I picked up an Enermax 330. Problem solved. I don't know that it was just a flaky powersupply, but it sure looks like it.

Thanks much.

JP