Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade gpu.. Crysis still not working as well as it should..

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Crysis
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
February 26, 2011 9:10:08 PM

hey guys.. im new here, just joined today :) 
anyways, last week i went out and bought a Powercolour ATI Radeon 6850 HD to upgrade from my old nVidia 9500GS.

my specs are now:

Q6600 Quad Core running @ 2.4GHz
6GB of RAM
Powercolour ATI Radeon 6850 HD
550 watt Coolermaster power supply
Windows Vista x64

First thing i do is install crysis, because i didnt bother with my old video card. I run it in a 1680x1080 window, set everything to very high (except for Post processing which i set to just "high), and run the game... and it won't run at a respectable fps. once a shootout starts, or i get into a vehicle, or zoom in with my binoculars, the fps drops to the 20s and on really intense moments it drops to the 10s...

I was tremendously dissapointed with this performance.. what can i do? Is it my CPU bottlenecking? Will restoring my system to factory settings (I bought a stock computer) help?

EDIT: The performance not being as good as it should be is not specific to crysis- something like Empire: Total War does not run at 30+ fps with high settings, and i have to run Bulletstorm in a window with no AA and Post Processing turned to Medium in order to have playable FPS, and it still probably isnt above 30.

More about : upgrade gpu crysis working

February 27, 2011 9:54:04 PM

That does seem really strange, as I can run Bulletstorm at max without AA, and I have a lowly G6950 @ 4.2ghz and the sapphire 6850. Did you completely remove your Nvidia drivers, because that happened to me before I did a clean sweep.
m
l
Related resources
February 27, 2011 10:08:43 PM

Bulletstorm is not even close to as demanding as Crysis......
Try to tune down AA...
It can give a huge performance increase.
m
l
February 27, 2011 10:12:22 PM

^ I agree, and it doesn't look that much worse.
m
l
March 2, 2011 6:20:46 AM

Ok guys lets just remember one thing: games are built on "different engines"

Im sure some of us have got more than one game installed, Now you play a demanding game and it runs like a dream then you play another demanding game and experience a lag but yet both have the same if not similar system requirements, Simple " The Engine"
m
l
!