Upgrade gpu.. Crysis still not working as well as it should..

G

hey guys.. im new here, just joined today :)
anyways, last week i went out and bought a Powercolour ATI Radeon 6850 HD to upgrade from my old nVidia 9500GS.

my specs are now:

Q6600 Quad Core running @ 2.4GHz
6GB of RAM
Powercolour ATI Radeon 6850 HD
550 watt Coolermaster power supply
Windows Vista x64

First thing i do is install crysis, because i didnt bother with my old video card. I run it in a 1680x1080 window, set everything to very high (except for Post processing which i set to just "high), and run the game... and it won't run at a respectable fps. once a shootout starts, or i get into a vehicle, or zoom in with my binoculars, the fps drops to the 20s and on really intense moments it drops to the 10s...

I was tremendously dissapointed with this performance.. what can i do? Is it my CPU bottlenecking? Will restoring my system to factory settings (I bought a stock computer) help?

EDIT: The performance not being as good as it should be is not specific to crysis- something like Empire: Total War does not run at 30+ fps with high settings, and i have to run Bulletstorm in a window with no AA and Post Processing turned to Medium in order to have playable FPS, and it still probably isnt above 30.

Jedi Mind Trick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
That does seem really strange, as I can run Bulletstorm at max without AA, and I have a lowly G6950 @ 4.2ghz and the sapphire 6850. Did you completely remove your Nvidia drivers, because that happened to me before I did a clean sweep.

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Ok guys lets just remember one thing: games are built on "different engines"

Im sure some of us have got more than one game installed, Now you play a demanding game and it runs like a dream then you play another demanding game and experience a lag but yet both have the same if not similar system requirements, Simple " The Engine"