mqafishe

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2003
On another thought. Since pc has more capabilities and flexibility, I would assume in the future when dvd games are playable on pc that are powerful enough to produce amazing gaming experience and graphics, there should no reason for one to buy a gaming console, isn't it ?.

bloodrayne

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
Except that Games consoles are much cheaper? Less than half the price of a decent PC, they also don't have to deal with numerous patches for buggy releases, and have a good (for the main part) standard game pad.

Plus how many console forums do you see with questions about how to get a game to run? Exactly... plug'n'play at it's best..

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Another plus for consoles is graphics. Computer games can be choppy and horrible if you have a non-state-of-the-art video card, but console games are designed for the console that everybody has.

But as I get older, I see myself owning less consoles. Anyway, I've still got all my old ones to play with (atari, colecovision, nes, snes, genesis, 64, etc etc etc)

It's all good ^_^

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Damn, it must suck to be you. I love console games as well as PC. Wait maybe it sucks to be me. I have to buy both. My video card cost me almost as much as my Xbox and it's not even as powerful.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I've noticed myself slowly weening off consoles. I never thought the day would come. Currently I own a Gamecue(w/Zelda and Rogue Leader 2) and a PS2(w/NBA Street 2). I haven't played either of them in at least a month.

I think alot of it has to do with the fact that alot of the games I'm interested in are either already out or eventually coming out for PC.

Another reason is because FPS games are much more fun to play on the computer with mouse support. Sports games are another genre which I like but that's kind of a toss-up.

HL2. If games like this keep coming to PC I will never go back to console.

I also enjoy being able to upgrade the power of my gaming machine. With consoles there is a limit to what you can do right off the bat. With PC's, there is much more headroom to upgrade and evolve into a more powerful beast.

But there is one main reason why I will always be a console gamer at heart. Simulation/Strategy games. Games like Everquest, Warcraft 3, Romance Kingdoms Something. Even though some of these make it to console, most of the BORING ASS games can be found on the PC.

Thankfully PC games are slowly getting away from that stigma of being more serious and adult/geek oriented.

I just woke up so I couldn't fully explain my points as well as I would have liked. Sorry.

(Disclaimer: Don't go jumping on my back for slamming strategy/sim games. It's just my opinion. But they really do suck.)

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Damn, it must really suck to be you.

Have you ever played ANY Zelda or FF series? Not to mention Metroid, RE, GTA, Gran Turismo, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Metal Gear, Mario Kart...and the list goes on.

Are you really saying all these games suck? Damn, it sure sucks to be you.

Disregard my previous post.
<font color=blue>
Why do people always insist on insulting drug dealers by comparing them to Microsoft?
Drug dealers offer real products with real choice.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Every time I think I am done with consoles something great comes back. I know I'll always love them just because I like to sit on my couch kick back with a controller in my hand from time to time. It's much more relaxing and I dont have a cramp in my body/neck/hands after i'm finished playing console games. Having friends over playing sports games beats online gaming for me any day. I've even been to lan parties and it's just a bunch of geeks with thier headphones on glued to thier screens.

Consoles are less involving and can be more fun at times. I prefer sports, shooters, fighting games on the console. You cant even get a decent action game on the PC anymore. (Oni should have been a console game and it wasn't even that good) In a few years consoles are going to take over the market, there will be fewer and fewer PC games coming.

The reason is consoles will become more and more PC like. Think Sony and Nintendo will omit a hardrive and broadband with thier next system? It'll never happen. Xbox can run Morrowind and upcoming Doom3 for under $200. I know the PC version is and will be better but the next gen of consoles are going to kick the PC's ass. How many hundreds of dollars will most people spend to play the upcoming games at decent framerates? $1500 for a decent gaming rig that will be outdated in months compared to $200 for a console that will last a couple of years and things will only get better.

Esso

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
I've seen all the lastest consoles choke during game play (or get fairly choppy)... so it's not a fair statement to say that only pc's choke because they may lack some descent hardware.

The only thing that's really tough for consoles right now is fps, other than that, they're alright.

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
I'm an avid console gamer. When console graphics choke, it's because of poor programming, not poor hardware. Today's consoles are extremely well-designed. Designers don't push the consoles past their limits because they know that we users can't upgrade them like our PCs.

I play a game because it's good, not because it's on PC or console or in the arcade or whatever. John Ryan, don't be so naïve. IMHO, the greatest game ever made is on console, in Metal Gear Solid. You're saying that all console games suck? If you really just don't like ALL of them, that's one thing, but if you are shunning them without giving them a chance, you're an idiot. Give some reason to your rant.

Tit for tat, butter for fat, ATi's dog kicks nVidia's cat

(Maximum PC)

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Hey daddy, do you work for Maximum PC or just an avid reader?

Disregard my previous post.
<font color=blue>
Why do people always insist on insulting drug dealers by comparing them to Microsoft?
Drug dealers offer real products with real choice.

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I don't know about you console gamers, but I think you're on crack.

As far as price is concerned, the main factor you aren't including is price. For me, PS2/gamecube/xbox games cost $70. PC games cost as much as my DSL connection and a blank CD. Get my point?

Now don't get all anal. If a game is good, I do buy it. Same with music and movies. I just don't want to drop massive amounts of money for a game that's bunk.

However, in light of the fact that computer games are so easily duplicated, I think consoles will continue to grow in popularity as developers want to actually make money off their games :(. Pisses me off since most console games are [-peep-]. Give me Deus Ex or Thief over Freelancer anyday. Sure the graphics aren't there, but the gameplay sure as [-peep-] is. That's the one thing console doesn't have, and people like me who enjoy a game for intellectual stimulation rather than a pretty face will lose in the end.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
$70!!! Lol where the hell are you buying games. The most expensive game I've ever bought is $50 tops. Top PC games now go over the $50 mark regularly. To top it off I can rent console games as well as buy them used. If I dont like a console game at least I'm not stuck with it.

I dont think you've played enough variety if your claiming Deus Ex (A amazing game IMO) or Thief are games of intellectual stimulation. If you want intellectual stimulation talk to somone smart or read a nice book.

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Where am I buying my games? ummm Canada?

And for intellectual stimulation, I mean thinking about the consequences of your actions within the game, rather than going rambo style killing anything that moves. It takes a little more brain power to judge your decisions and predict outcomes.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Your stereotyping and generalizing consoles without playing the games. I understand where you get your information from the the days of sidescrolling shooters are long gone. Both gaming platforms offer plenty of mental challenge (If that's what you want to call it). You act as though PC games dont offer more Rambo Style killing. There are far more FPS games on the PC than a console.

You cant rent or buy used games in Canada? I'm just curious, I have a Canadian friend who claims to have rented and purchased used games up there.

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I sure do, and I sure have.

I may act like PC games don't act like they offer rambo style killing. I'm simply saying that, based on my experiences with both systems, consoles are geared more toward novice users who just want to jump in and kill. I have never seen a game like Deus Ex on any console system. PC has their rambo games as well, but I think consoles are more like home-based arcades than the simulators that PCs are capable of being.

Renting PC games? Never happens up here. You can buy used, but unless you want to pay $5 for Duke Nukem 3D, or $40 for Splinter Cell, there aren't a lot. The internet is far more prevalent.

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
He means renting console games. How did you not pick up on that?

And you are still stereotyping console games umheint0. I don't feel like going into it, but there are MANY console games that offer much more than "jumping in and killing". That's a broad generalization and an illogical way to look at it.

I suggest moving on to another argument.

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I didn't pick up on it because, forgive me, console gaming is not foremost on my mind.

Ans yes, it is a broad, unfair generalization. But hey, that's my opinion. It's not entirely my fault that the only exposure I have to console gaming is Super Smash Bros, NFL Blitz something-or-other, WWE something-or-other, or Splinter Cell and GTA3. Tell me something a little more intelligent than those titles and I may look them up. But for a lack of interest and a lack of peers who have any other console titles than these, that's the exposure I have.

Ryan_Plus_One

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2003
It is not hard to have fun with simple games, especially Super SMash Brothers! You just need to relax a little bit. If you have a hard time enjoying games that don't have deep phylisophical meaning and are too trivial to you then you need to get over yourself. Those games are fun no matter how smart you think you are.

<font color=red>Proudly supporting the AMD/Nvidia minority</font color=red>

Renting PC games? Never happens up here. You can buy used, but unless you want to pay $5 for Duke Nukem 3D, or $40 for Splinter Cell, there aren't a lot. The internet is far more prevalent.

Ummm... where the hell do you live? I live in what can be considered 'the boonies' up in Northern Manitoba, and we have a video store where we can rent the newest console games and purchase them used. I can buy the newest games for my Gamecube from the local Wal-Mart. Unless you're living in the Yukon or NWT (somewhere in the arctic in other words) I really don't see how you can be missing out on all of this.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I repeat, <b><font color=red>PC</font color=red></b> games!!

Not too many places rent PC games anymore... but that's because of copyright more than anything else. I agree that the amount of places to purchase used games here is slim as well. If you're in the city, though, you can stop by any EB and they will have used games for sale.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Gastrian

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
In Reply to

" may act like PC games don't act like they offer rambo style killing. I'm simply saying that, based on my experiences with both systems, consoles are geared more toward novice users who just want to jump in and kill. I have never seen a game like Deus Ex on any console system. PC has their rambo games as well, but I think consoles are more like home-based arcades than the simulators that PCs are capable of being"

Deus Ex on PS2 for £9.99 down Toys R Us and any other major games store. (I should now I work on the section)

Let's see intelligent games for the console? umm.. how about Resident Evil (0,1,2,3,4 + Redux), Zelda, Eternal Darkness, Super Monkey Ball (this one does require brains to complete), Splinter Cell, Dead to Rights. And that's just what's on the Game Cube. Also how many PC games have four players stuck in front of 1 monitor? How many social skill based games are on the consoles? Let's see, bomberman generations, Halo, Wrestlemania X9, Super mario Party 4, etc.

Consoles will quickly push PC games into a niche market filled with RTS, Online RP and FPS games purely based on a bang for buck system. For Enter the Matrix too run properly on a PC you require an Athlon XP/ P4 processor, 256MB RAM and a GeForce 3/ ATI Radeon 8500 Card or better. The XBox on the other hand runs it on a 700MHz P3, 64MB RAM and a GeForce2 MX intergrated graphics chip. And the price difference of those 2 setups is a few hundred quid.

The next consoles due out in 2-3 years will be based on P4 chips (possibly on a next gen chip if it's cheap enough)

Gastrian

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
My mistake, the original promo we had for it said it was based on an intel version of the nForce chipset. Which brings about a question, If they've had the technology for an intergrated GF3/GF4 GPU for nearly 2 years, why are we still making do with an onboard GeForce4 MX GPU for our M/Bs