HP OfficeJet 7310xi does not report ink levels

I had a problem with my HP OfficeJet 7310xi not reporting the ink levels
on the front panel display (no icons) or from the embedded web server
(one bar from empty).

This happened after HP phone support told me to reset the printer (# and
6 held down while applying power).

Because of other problems, I exchanged the printer for another.
When I installed the old ink cartridges in the new printer, I don't
think it recognized them as HP ink cartridges but it did recognize them
as old ink cartridges.
The new printer did not report ink levels correctly either.
An HP phone support person told me that this is expected and that ink
levels would be reported as soon as they crossed the next quantum threshold.
I didn't/don't believe him.

Because I am considering returning this printer as well, I decided that
I might as well try installing the new ink cartridges to see if there
was a difference.

This did the trick!

Before I put the new ink cartridges in I tried taking the old ones out
and reinserting them.
I noticed that the printer did not recalibrate like it usually does
after installing cartridges.

"Ross Tyler" <rtyle@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Because of other problems, I exchanged the printer for another.
> When I installed the old ink cartridges in the new printer, I don't think it
> recognized them as HP ink cartridges but it did recognize them as old ink
> cartridges.
> The new printer did not report ink levels correctly either.

The printer recognizes that the cartridges were used and has no way to know the
proper ink levels. The ink levels are stored in the printer, they do are not
stored in the cartridges. If you move a cartridge from one printer to another
the printer will disable ink level messaging since it has no way of telling the
proper ink levels.

Regards,

Thanks Bob.

One would think that at least one of the 5 HP technical support people I
talked to about this problem would have known this.

I was thinking that it was some kind of deterrent to people refilling
their cartridges instead of buying brand new ones from HP.

Bob Headrick wrote:
> "Ross Tyler" <rtyle@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>

>>Because of other problems, I exchanged the printer for another.
>>When I installed the old ink cartridges in the new printer, I don't think it
>>recognized them as HP ink cartridges but it did recognize them as old ink
>>cartridges.
>>The new printer did not report ink levels correctly either.
>

> The printer recognizes that the cartridges were used and has no way to know the
> proper ink levels. The ink levels are stored in the printer, they do are not
> stored in the cartridges. If you move a cartridge from one printer to another
> the printer will disable ink level messaging since it has no way of telling the
> proper ink levels.
>
> Regards,

So does this mean that your first 7310xi *was* flawed, nevertheless?
Just wondering.

And on the chance that Bob Headrick looks here again, I'd like to know
if there is any chance that HP will issue an update on the 731-xi's
software itself (not the driver) such that people using MacOSX will not
have to restart with the printer on for the printer to be recognized,
and so that other glitches get fixed such as actually being able to use
the Two-Sided Printing Accessory to print from a Mac program or having
a Photoshop plug-in for scanning?

Thanks.

In article <ygb8e.7242$yq6.1503@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Ross