Verizon Promos & Oklahoma City

Does anyone know when the current promos will change? It seems like you used
to be able to get more minutes on AC then you can right now.

Also, my job is sending me to OKC soon....permanently. I am guessing the
roaming provider will be Sprint...or US Cell? Anyone have any comments on
how my service will be there?

Thanks guys
BC
11 answers Last reply
More about verizon promos oklahoma city

    Billy wrote:
    > Does anyone know when the current promos will change? It seems like you used
    > to be able to get more minutes on AC then you can right now.
    >
    > Also, my job is sending me to OKC soon....permanently. I am guessing the
    > roaming provider will be Sprint...or US Cell? Anyone have any comments on
    > how my service will be there?

    I'm trying to remember who I roamed on wiht the Verizon phone I had last year
    when I drove through OKC. I know for sure that Verizon isn't there. :)

    If a verizon phone is making a call via the Sprint PCS network, it is a
    roaming call obviously. It may be an extended network call at no extra
    charge, but it is a roaming call. However it will not be an analogue
    call. Sprint PCS does not have any analogue system.
    If the call is analogue, then you are not on a PCS system, Sprint PCS
    or otherwise, but on a cellular system.

    Jerome Zelinske wrote:

    > If the call is analogue, then you are not on a PCS system, Sprint
    > PCS or otherwise, but on a cellular system.

    "Cellular" does not necessarily imply analog, Jerome, and you know that as well
    as I do. Even Sprint has stopped perpetuating that lie.

    I was there in early July and US Cellular was just rolling out their service
    in OKC. Extended network coverage was on Sprint, but if I lost their signal
    I ended up on AT&T analog with a solid roam indicator. This happened fairly
    often in Edmond.

    While roaming on Sprint, you will get your calls and caller-ID, but forget
    about text messaging and voice mail indicators.

    I've been watching the PRLs since then in hopes that they will add US
    Cellular to the extended network.

    "Billy" <bchandler022@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know when the current promos will change? It seems like you
    used
    > to be able to get more minutes on AC then you can right now.
    >
    > Also, my job is sending me to OKC soon....permanently. I am guessing the
    > roaming provider will be Sprint...or US Cell? Anyone have any comments on
    > how my service will be there?
    >
    > Thanks guys
    > BC

    I did not say all cellular calls are analogue. I said all
    analogue are cellular. The FCC does not allow analogue on PCS.
    I know that is the case now. But that was not always the case.
    What Sprint PCS was saying, when they were saying it, was that the only
    cellular roaming they had was analog. When they had roaming agreements
    with cellular CDMA carriers, then they stopped saying that.

    Jerome Zelinske wrote:

    > I know that is the case now. But that was not always the case.
    > What Sprint PCS was saying, when they were saying it, was that the only
    > cellular roaming they had was analog. When they had roaming agreements
    > with cellular CDMA carriers, then they stopped saying that.

    I understand that. It was still extremely misleading as other carriers in the
    cellular band had digital service at the time. Sprint PCS launched in 1996. I
    got my first 800 MHz CDMA digital phone from GTE Mobilnet in September of 1995.

    I'd be willing to believe that they had the first *nationwide* CDMA network,
    but the rest of it is bull.

    One more question. Is there any way to use Express network while roaming on
    Sprint? This might decide if I keep them or jump ship..I guess to
    Cingular...they seem to be the most solid in OK.

    Any comments?

    Billy wrote:
    > One more question. Is there any way to use Express network while roaming on
    > Sprint? This might decide if I keep them or jump ship..I guess to
    > Cingular...they seem to be the most solid in OK.

    No, there isn't. Sprint has a similar service, PCS Vision. Works well, I use it
    when I have the extra money available to pay for it. :)

    In article <ck7lo1$kcg$1@ratbert.glorb.com>,
    Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
    >Jerome Zelinske wrote:
    >
    >> I know that is the case now. But that was not always the case.
    >> What Sprint PCS was saying, when they were saying it, was that the only
    >> cellular roaming they had was analog. When they had roaming agreements
    >> with cellular CDMA carriers, then they stopped saying that.
    >
    >I understand that. It was still extremely misleading as other carriers in the
    >cellular band had digital service at the time. Sprint PCS launched in 1996. I
    >got my first 800 MHz CDMA digital phone from GTE Mobilnet in September of 1995.
    >
    >I'd be willing to believe that they had the first *nationwide* CDMA network,
    >but the rest of it is bull.

    What was strange was that SPCS had roaming agreements with CDMA+analog
    cellular providers such as VZW, but disabled the ability to use the
    roaming partner's CDMA. Originally, they did this by disabling cellular
    CDMA in their phones (the phones would only do PCS CDMA and analog
    cellular), and later, by their PRL. Since SPCS itself was all-PCS-CDMA,
    if you were roaming, you were on analog, even if the analog provider
    also had perfectly good CDMA service. This gave rise to the common
    misperception than analog = roaming. And they had that "cellular static"
    advertising theme LONG after the major providers had gone to digital.
    It would have been embarrassing, I guess, if their customers roamed on a
    CDMA cellular provider, and the calls were as "pin drop" clear as on SPCS.

    Wikked wrote:
    > /It's Sprint ! Just make sure that before you make a phone call you are
    > not roaming, Sprint has the tendency to drop you for the network and
    > then they pick you up in Analog with roaming service.!/

    Uhm, Sprint doesn't *have* analog service...

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    Isaiah Beard wrote:
    > Wikked wrote:
    >
    >> /It's Sprint ! Just make sure that before you make a phone call you
    >> are not roaming, Sprint has the tendency to drop you for the network
    >> and then they pick you up in Analog with roaming service.!/
    >

    > Uhm, Sprint doesn't *have* analog service...

    Looks like he pointed out that Analog would have to be roaming...

Verizon Internet Service Providers