802.11b vs 802.11g and range problems

I had a couple of 802.11b LinkSys wireless routers on the same channel and
my laptops were cleanly passed from one AP to the next when movinng around
the house and I consistenly had the maximum 11Mb/sec transfer rate; then I
moved to LinkSys WRT54G wireless routers...

Keeping them on the same channel just caused problems and I didn't want to
change channels because my neighbors are using 1 and 11 and I am using 6, so
I turned off the wireless on one wireless router.

With the 802.11b wireless router, I could move from the office where the AP
was located to the living room about 20 feet away and still keep 11Mb/sec
transfer, but with the WRT54G, I can't move more than about 10 feet before
the connection is dropped.

I added the LinkSys HGA7T 7dBi high gain antennas with no change in
reliability.

FYI, I have now tested with 3 different WRT54G wireless routers and all have
the same range problem when compared to their 802.11b counterparts.

Can/should I use coax to separate the antennas and place one of the antennas
in the living room and another in the office?

Is there a better solution, besides scrapping LinkSys (since I have a
substantial investment in equipment) and moving to Parker Vision?

TIA

Maybe you could check with the neighbor and see which channel is nearest you
then use the fartherst channel.

6-------1 11-----------1
you neighbor

"Bill Jasiulewicz" <bill@progsys.net> wrote in message
> I had a couple of 802.11b LinkSys wireless routers on the same channel and
> my laptops were cleanly passed from one AP to the next when movinng around
> the house and I consistenly had the maximum 11Mb/sec transfer rate; then I
> moved to LinkSys WRT54G wireless routers...
>
> Keeping them on the same channel just caused problems and I didn't want to
> change channels because my neighbors are using 1 and 11 and I am using 6,
so
> I turned off the wireless on one wireless router.
>
> With the 802.11b wireless router, I could move from the office where the
AP
> was located to the living room about 20 feet away and still keep 11Mb/sec
> transfer, but with the WRT54G, I can't move more than about 10 feet before
> the connection is dropped.
>
> I added the LinkSys HGA7T 7dBi high gain antennas with no change in
> reliability.
>
> FYI, I have now tested with 3 different WRT54G wireless routers and all
have
> the same range problem when compared to their 802.11b counterparts.
>
> Can/should I use coax to separate the antennas and place one of the
antennas
> in the living room and another in the office?
>
> Is there a better solution, besides scrapping LinkSys (since I have a
> substantial investment in equipment) and moving to Parker Vision?
>
> TIA

Rather than use additional WiFi routers, consider trying a range extener
(repeater):

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=629

Bill Crocker

"Bill Jasiulewicz" <bill@progsys.net> wrote in message
>I had a couple of 802.11b LinkSys wireless routers on the same channel and
> my laptops were cleanly passed from one AP to the next when movinng around
> the house and I consistenly had the maximum 11Mb/sec transfer rate; then I
> moved to LinkSys WRT54G wireless routers...
>
> Keeping them on the same channel just caused problems and I didn't want to
> change channels because my neighbors are using 1 and 11 and I am using 6,
> so
> I turned off the wireless on one wireless router.
>
> With the 802.11b wireless router, I could move from the office where the
> AP
> was located to the living room about 20 feet away and still keep 11Mb/sec
> transfer, but with the WRT54G, I can't move more than about 10 feet before
> the connection is dropped.
>
> I added the LinkSys HGA7T 7dBi high gain antennas with no change in
> reliability.
>
> FYI, I have now tested with 3 different WRT54G wireless routers and all
> have
> the same range problem when compared to their 802.11b counterparts.
>
> Can/should I use coax to separate the antennas and place one of the
> antennas
> in the living room and another in the office?
>
> Is there a better solution, besides scrapping LinkSys (since I have a
> substantial investment in equipment) and moving to Parker Vision?
>
> TIA

Just for fun, try channel 2. I had a neighbor on 11, I was on 6, we
clashed. So I moved to 1, and it didn't help much. In addition to this, I
was fighting my son's 2.4GHz wireless video link!

I tried channel 2, on my AP, and BINGO!

Bill Crocker

"Bill Jasiulewicz" <bill@progsys.net> wrote in message
>I had a couple of 802.11b LinkSys wireless routers on the same channel and
> my laptops were cleanly passed from one AP to the next when movinng around
> the house and I consistenly had the maximum 11Mb/sec transfer rate; then I
> moved to LinkSys WRT54G wireless routers...
>
> Keeping them on the same channel just caused problems and I didn't want to
> change channels because my neighbors are using 1 and 11 and I am using 6,
> so
> I turned off the wireless on one wireless router.
>
> With the 802.11b wireless router, I could move from the office where the
> AP
> was located to the living room about 20 feet away and still keep 11Mb/sec
> transfer, but with the WRT54G, I can't move more than about 10 feet before
> the connection is dropped.
>
> I added the LinkSys HGA7T 7dBi high gain antennas with no change in
> reliability.
>
> FYI, I have now tested with 3 different WRT54G wireless routers and all
> have
> the same range problem when compared to their 802.11b counterparts.
>
> Can/should I use coax to separate the antennas and place one of the
> antennas
> in the living room and another in the office?
>
> Is there a better solution, besides scrapping LinkSys (since I have a
> substantial investment in equipment) and moving to Parker Vision?
>
> TIA

Thanks. I already found this suggestion on the LinkSys site for using their
range extender, but I wanted to see if there were other options; you
confirmed that it's probably worth the effort to get one.

"Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net>...