Games keep crashing on PC

bbeben

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hi there everyone,

I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out on this issue:

Recently, my games have really been acting up and crashing randomly. I play Company of heroes and Medal of honor and every now and then the games will just crash to the desktop or sometimes come up with BSOD. It seems like this has started happening ever since I put in my third 2 gb ram stick.

My computer stats:
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
Video card: 2x radeon 5770 crossfire
HD: 500gb
Ram: 3x 2gb kingston non-ecc 1333 mhz PC3-10600
CPU: Phenom II X4 955 black edition

I'm thinking of taking out the third ram stick and seeing how things go but I'd like to know if there's anything else I can do? I was looking up at memory timings and voltage but everything looks alright in the bios.

Much appreciated! I'll respond as quickly as I can.

Could be a faulty stick of RAM, or maybe the specs on the new one are a mismatch with the others. Either way, you are not doing yourself many favours by running 6GB, since this prevents the RAM from operating in dual-channel mode.

bbeben

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

I've heard that faulty sticks of ram are quite rare. Could it be that as you've said I don't have them running in dual channel mode? Maybe I shold get another 2 gb stick?

bbeben

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I just ordered this:

G Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL 8GB DDR3 (1333MHz,Cas 9)

It's 2 x 4gb sticks so I'll try using those in place of my other sticks and recoup some of the losses selling the ones I have now.

bbeben

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I took out the one 2gb ram stick and instantly everything is better, haven't crashed at all in MOD and COH so it must of been as you said: not working properly in dual channel mode.

I'm waiting on the new ram to come through the mail so then my computer should be back up to speed :)