"Breadboarding" a system

G

I just purchased a new MB (Asus A7V133) and processor (Athlon 1.0 GHz) around which I will be building up a new system.

I currently have enough spare "compatible" hardware devices to put together a system, but they are not the devices I will be using in the "final" configuration.

In the meantime, I'd like to put the MB and Processor into operation. But, I'd prefer not to mount the MB and all of the "spare" hardware in a case knowing that everything (including the case) is going to be changed in the very near future.

So, I am considering just "breadboarding" a system for now. By "breadboarding" I mean connecting the power supply and drives to the MB while it's spread out on a desk and (obviously) not mounted in a case.

Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
1) Use a power supply with an external ground connection to your MB.
2) Breadboard should be covered in antistatic/non-conductive material and grounded if possible. (Rubber mat around a grounded tray is what we use, but I've seen it done with anti-static shipping foam strips.)
3) Wear static discharge wristband when handling any components and/or system tray.
4) Steal front panel switch/reset/drive light assembly from an old system. Preferrably like an InWin case or some other place where this stuff comes off in a single assembly.
5) Use a removable drive tray for your disk devices. Also grounded.
6) Be very careful with connections, so you don't drag your MB around. (Keyboard, Mouse, Joystick, Video, etc...)

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

G

Many thanks, Steve. It's apparent that you've done this before.