New HP Computer- any opinions?

Hello,

The HP Media Center M7070N was just released about 2 weeks ago. This
model has the Intel Pentium 4 640 chip 3.2 Ghz with 2 MB of L2 Cache.
It also has 1 GB Ram, a 250 GB hard drive, 2 DVD drives, and an ATI
Radeon X300 PCI-E graphics card. It also has a 9 in one media card
reader installed.

I thought these sounded like pretty impressive specs. So, I was just
wondering if this would be a good model to buy? The system retailed
at 1249.99 at Comp USA. This system seems to do quite a bit.
Although, I do question how much I'd actually use some of the
features. It has the XP Media Center version, which I haven't heard
too much about..

So, I was just posting to get some feedback. I wasn't sure if HP was
the way to go... or if I should go for a Dell or E-machine.

Thanks,

Chris
7 answers Last reply
More about computer opinions

    Ive had serious problems with HP cd writers and ac power pins in
    laptops. If you do decide to buy the computer make sure you get the
    three year warranty. If you dont know if you need the media center and
    card reader, then check the price on a comparable dell. HP customer
    support is insulting.

    Chris wrote:
    > The HP Media Center M7070N was just released about 2 weeks ago. This
    > model has the Intel Pentium 4 640 chip 3.2 Ghz with 2 MB of L2 Cache.
    > It also has 1 GB Ram, a 250 GB hard drive, 2 DVD drives, and an ATI
    > Radeon X300 PCI-E graphics card. It also has a 9 in one media card
    > reader installed.
    >
    > I thought these sounded like pretty impressive specs. So, I was just
    > wondering if this would be a good model to buy? The system retailed
    > at 1249.99 at Comp USA. This system seems to do quite a bit.
    > Although, I do question how much I'd actually use some of the
    > features. It has the XP Media Center version, which I haven't heard
    > too much about..

    On the most basic level XP Media Center is simply Windows XP but has an
    added Media Center application that you can use when you want for
    Tivo-like functions and to view/manage other media. The Media Center
    program's menus are well suited for viewing on a TV if desired.

    That actaully looks to me like a pretty nice model overall, and
    comparatively future-proof (if there is such a thing anymore). I'd
    like to see a slightly better graphics card offered, perhaps the Radeon
    X600 (or better) or a GeForce 6600. The X300 is a bit weak if you
    intend to play the latest 3D games but it's quite a nice
    general-purpose card, and _much_ better than integrated graphics. Of
    course, upgrading the graphics card later might be an option if needed.
    You might want to check Circuit City and hpshopping.com, etc sometimes
    prices vary a bit and perhaps there are rebates and such if you're into
    that sort of thing.

    > So, I was just posting to get some feedback. I wasn't sure if HP was
    > the way to go... or if I should go for a Dell or E-machine.

    I've personally heard just as many support "horror stories" about other
    consumer PC vendors (including Dell, Gateway and others) as I have
    about HP. They all have plenty of satisfied customers as well. If I
    remember correctly, Consumer Reports most recently rated Apple support
    far above the others in the Very Good to Excellent categores and Dell,
    Gateway/E-machines, and HP all ranked pretty close together in the Good
    category. Strangely Compaq trailed a bit but also just made the Good
    category.

    The m7070n is basically a combination of the m1270n and the m1280n with
    new packaging, meaning the new silver case which has replaced the older
    shiny black case of the HP Media Center PC line. I've seen both cases
    in person and I prefer the new silver one.

    The m7070n has this in common with the higher-end m1280n system:

    - same 3.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 Processor 640 with HT technology
    - L2 Cache of 2 MB
    - DVD-ROM drive (instead of CD-ROM drive for 2nd optical drive)

    However, unlike the m1280n, it doesn't have have a 300 GB hard drive,
    or the Radeon X600 Pro graphics card, or a wireless keyboard & mouse,
    instead opting for a 250 GB hard drive, the Radeon X300 (like ken
    mentioned), and a wired keyboard & mouse, all of which are also found
    on the m1270n.

    The m1270n and m1280n are being phased out (discontinued) and have so
    far been replaced by the the m7060n and m7070n. My concern with the
    m7070n is that it's lacking in a few areas when compared to the m1280n
    (as noted above), and a newer top-of-the-line HP Media Center PC hasn't
    yet been announced. However, my sources tell me that one is on the way
    that should equal or exceed the m1280n. I believe the model number
    will be the m7087n (although m7080n or m7090n makes more sense to me).
    I'm going to wait for this newer model because I prefer the silver case
    and maybe there will be some other upgrades when compared to the
    m1280n. Hopefully this newer model will make its presence known in the
    next couple of months.

    If you want HP's current top-of-the-line Media Center PC right now, and
    don't mind the shiny black case, the m1280n is the one to get, and for
    those retailers that still have it in stock, some are selling it for
    $200-300 cheaper than just a few weeks ago.

    I neglected to mention that both the m7060n and the m7070n come with
    DDR2 SDRAM as opposed to the older DDR SDRAM available in the m1270n
    and m1280n.

    That new HP Media Center PC ( m7087 ) should be on their site as of
    next week. The model may be listed as the m7087c instead of the m7087n
    ("c" instead of "n" at the end). Also, you can customize your own HP
    Media Center PC m7000 series on the hpshopping.com site now.

    I have a feeling this m7087c model will only be available at Sam's Club
    in the U.S. We should know more in the next week or two.

    The m7087c is a bundled PC (with monitor) sold at Sam's Club. Watch
    for the m7170n coming out soon.

Hewlett Packard Media Center Computers