best Verizon Wireless plan / deal

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm interested in switching away from AT&T Wireless.
Too many dropped calls. Where is the best place to
sign up for Verizon Wireless in the SF Bay Area?

Roger wrote:
> I'm interested in switching away from AT&T Wireless.
> Too many dropped calls. Where is the best place to
> sign up for Verizon Wireless in the SF Bay Area?

Call their customer service (don't remember the landline #)
or do it on their website (www.verizonwireless.com). Not
much advantage to going to a company store unless you
want to see and feel the phones. Not much advantage to
going to a reseller unless you want a phone that they still
carry that VZW has discontinued selling (but still support).

-Quick

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I seldom find good deals at stores recommended by
customer service.

"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message news:1097176723.216305@sj-nntpcache-3...
> Roger wrote:
> > I'm interested in switching away from AT&T Wireless.
> > Too many dropped calls. Where is the best place to
> > sign up for Verizon Wireless in the SF Bay Area?
>
> Call their customer service (don't remember the landline #)
> or do it on their website (www.verizonwireless.com). Not
> much advantage to going to a company store unless you
> want to see and feel the phones. Not much advantage to
> going to a reseller unless you want a phone that they still
> carry that VZW has discontinued selling (but still support).
>
> -Quick

That's the point. I don't think there are any "deals" that
can be had some where that you can't get straight from
VZW. You can call customer service, they will explain
plans and options, you can select a phone, they will sign
you up and you will get your phone in the mail 3 days
later.

-Quick

Roger wrote:
> I seldom find good deals at stores recommended by
> customer service.
>

> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Roger wrote:
>>> I'm interested in switching away from AT&T Wireless.
>>> Too many dropped calls. Where is the best place to
>>> sign up for Verizon Wireless in the SF Bay Area?
>>
>> Call their customer service (don't remember the landline #)
>> or do it on their website (www.verizonwireless.com). Not
>> much advantage to going to a company store unless you
>> want to see and feel the phones. Not much advantage to
>> going to a reseller unless you want a phone that they still
>> carry that VZW has discontinued selling (but still support).
>>
>> -Quick

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hmmm ... just realized that Verizon plans do not
feature "Nights Start at 7pm". I guess I won't switch afterall.

"Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote in message news:Ohg9d.677$6q2.481@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...

> I'm interested in switching away from AT&T Wireless.
> Too many dropped calls. Where is the best place to
> sign up for Verizon Wireless in the SF Bay Area?

What AT&T wireless do you have? If GSM, is it possible
to still get/switch to their TDMA service? Without losing your
7pm nights? Their TDMA used to be *much* better than the
current GSM service.

-Quick

Roger wrote:
> Hmmm ... just realized that Verizon plans do not
> feature "Nights Start at 7pm". I guess I won't switch afterall.
>

> "Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm interested in switching away from AT&T Wireless.
>> Too many dropped calls. Where is the best place to
>> sign up for Verizon Wireless in the SF Bay Area?

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Despite the dropped calls, I wouldn't give up my 7pm nights for
TDMA or Verizon Wireless or whatever.

"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message news:1097257073.643894@sj-nntpcache-5...
> What AT&T wireless do you have? If GSM, is it possible
> to still get/switch to their TDMA service? Without losing your
> 7pm nights? Their TDMA used to be *much* better than the
> current GSM service.
>
> -Quick
>

> Roger wrote:
> > Hmmm ... just realized that Verizon plans do not
> > feature "Nights Start at 7pm". I guess I won't switch afterall.
> >

> > "Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I'm interested in switching away from AT&T Wireless.
> >> Too many dropped calls. Where is the best place to
> >> sign up for Verizon Wireless in the SF Bay Area?

Yes. I understood that.
I was just mentioning that AT&T has both TDMA and GSM services.
The TDMA is far better for calls (coverage) in the south bay area.
I thought it more likely that you could switch your plan to their
TDMA service without giving up any of the features since they
are both AT&T.

-Quick

Roger wrote:
> Despite the dropped calls, I wouldn't give up my 7pm nights for
> TDMA or Verizon Wireless or whatever.

You can get 7PM nights instead of 9pm with Sprint for $5/month in addition to
the cost of the plan you choose.

Of course, you're wasting a ton of money if you're paying for a service you
can't use. Have you considered that?

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Steve, thanks for your concern. To clarify, I'm getting dropped calls that
are a little irritating but it certainly doesn't make my service unusable.
If that were the case, I would have switched long ago.

Roger wrote:
> Steve, thanks for your concern. To clarify, I'm getting dropped calls that
> are a little irritating but it certainly doesn't make my service unusable.
> If that were the case, I would have switched long ago.

Well, perhaps you should consider Sprint then. Sprint is no longer the
lowest-cost service, having been replaced in that role by AT&T and Cingular,
but they're not as expensive as Verizon is either. They do offer 7pm nights as
a $5/month addon (I believe Cingular's 7pm is $7, don't know how much AT&T's is).

If you know anyone in your area who has Sprint, you may want to ask them about
the service. If not, Sprint has a 14-day trial period during which you can
return the phone and it'll only cost you the $36 activation fee plus charges
for airtime you actually used - you can take advantage of that trial period to
make sure the service will work for you.

If you want to port your number, wait to do the port until you are sure the
service will work. Sprint WILL let you port a phone number to an existing line
of service - I did it myself less than two months ago.

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Steve, thanks for the good info. I'll have to consider other carriers and
plans more closely if I am to switch plans.

"Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:ck6oua$elu$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
> Roger wrote:
> > Steve, thanks for your concern. To clarify, I'm getting dropped calls that
> > are a little irritating but it certainly doesn't make my service unusable.
> > If that were the case, I would have switched long ago.
>
> Well, perhaps you should consider Sprint then. Sprint is no longer the
> lowest-cost service, having been replaced in that role by AT&T and Cingular,
> but they're not as expensive as Verizon is either. They do offer 7pm nights as
> a $5/month addon (I believe Cingular's 7pm is $7, don't know how much AT&T's is).
>
> If you know anyone in your area who has Sprint, you may want to ask them about
> the service. If not, Sprint has a 14-day trial period during which you can
> return the phone and it'll only cost you the $36 activation fee plus charges
> for airtime you actually used - you can take advantage of that trial period to
> make sure the service will work for you.
>
> If you want to port your number, wait to do the port until you are sure the
> service will work. Sprint WILL let you port a phone number to an existing line
> of service - I did it myself less than two months ago.
>

> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hmmm ... not sure about that since most AT&T plans that
I find on the internet are GSM.

"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message news:1097273712.513691@sj-nntpcache-5...
> Yes. I understood that.
> I was just mentioning that AT&T has both TDMA and GSM services.
> The TDMA is far better for calls (coverage) in the south bay area.
> I thought it more likely that you could switch your plan to their
> TDMA service without giving up any of the features since they
> are both AT&T.
>
> -Quick
>
> Roger wrote:
> > Despite the dropped calls, I wouldn't give up my 7pm nights for
> > TDMA or Verizon Wireless or whatever.
> >
> > "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> What AT&T wireless do you have? If GSM, is it possible
> >> to still get/switch to their TDMA service? Without losing your
> >> 7pm nights? Their TDMA used to be *much* better than the
> >> current GSM service.
> >>
> >> -Quick

There is no doubt that AT&T is/was switching to GSM.