Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Good Non-FPS Games

Last response: in Video Games
March 1, 2011 1:30:16 AM

Do you guys have recommendations for any non- FPS PC games? Other than that, I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance!

More about : good fps games

March 1, 2011 5:27:50 AM

Well what games do you play right now?
Score
March 1, 2011 12:14:53 PM

dirt 2
Score
Related resources
March 1, 2011 10:07:36 PM

Anyone?
Score
March 1, 2011 11:34:13 PM

It would probably help if you try to describe the types of games you like.

Non FPS games I've played in the past couple of years (not a big gamer myself) are:

Mass Effect 1 - 3rd Person RPG
Mass Effect 2 - 3rd Person RPG
King's Bounty - Armored Princess - Fantasy Strategy/RPG
Galactic Civilization 2 - Space strategy game like an extremely more advanced Masters of Orion.
Score
March 1, 2011 11:41:39 PM

Um nothing with harsh language, and something that I won't be able to beat in week. That's about it.
Score
March 7, 2011 2:58:18 PM

Battle for Wesnoth
Minecraft
Sins of a Solar Empire (be sure to get the "Trinity" pack to get the two DLC's with it)
Score
March 7, 2011 3:39:46 PM

Yeah, I've looked at Minecraft. What's the point of the game though?
Score
March 7, 2011 8:44:32 PM

Just Cause 2!
Score
March 8, 2011 4:16:08 AM

Hi there,

Try Assassin's Creed series or Total War series, you might like them.
Score
March 8, 2011 12:38:42 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Score
March 8, 2011 2:38:32 PM

GTA, TrackMania, NFS, Juiced 2, Forza 3.
Track simulation lol? I have used to play it a lot on my older machine, but idr any good titles.
Sports maybe? I play FIFA\PES all year long.
Starcraft 2, Diablo 2, Dragon Age?

Go to some decent torrent website and look up games, not advising to download from there, but it will give you wider specter of available games. After you can look them up on youtube (IGN, gamespot has nice video reviews which will help a lot).
Score
March 9, 2011 10:25:40 PM

kilo_17 said:
Yeah, I've looked at Minecraft. What's the point of the game though?

It is open word and very open to mods and added content. I've even seen a video on AOTS of someone who made an entire Predator mod for it. There has also been games where people have made huge structures such as ships from Star Trek, Firefly, Star Wars, ect. Just search for "Minecraft" on YouTube and you will get tons of results.

The beta 1.3 added some new features that would not be in most video's yet such as the bed that lets you skip the night and a new save format that does not restrict you to 5 saves anymore.

As for the point of the game it can change depending on the game mode. In basic survivor single player you just need to survive and collect resources. I have heard of possible coming modes like one where the map slowly starts to fill up with lava and you have to build a boat to survive to the end when it is nothing but an ocean of lava.
Score
March 10, 2011 12:15:32 AM

Hm, Minecraft sounds pretty neat. Is the free version really dumbed down compared to the paid version?
Score
March 10, 2011 1:53:29 AM

kilo_17 said:
Hm, Minecraft sounds pretty neat. Is the free version really dumbed down compared to the paid version?

Yes. It is in browser, about 40 block(only blocks) available to build stuff. You can have a little bit of fun with multiplayer. Beta is much better tho.
Score
March 10, 2011 6:00:39 AM

Oh, and for Sins of a Solar Empire you should know the company that made it decided to not ship it with copy protection (unlike Spore with SecuROM rootkit). But it still has had good sales because it is a good game.
Score
March 10, 2011 6:10:47 AM

The new American McGee's Alice game looks really nice if you like the macabre sort of game. Sort of dark. Nice graphics. Do you like MMo's of course you have to pay monthly for those.
Score
March 10, 2011 3:46:31 PM

galeener said:
Do you like MMO's of course you have to pay monthly for those.

Not totally true. Turbine has two MMO's that are micro-transaction based. Dungeons & Dragons Online and Lord of the Rings Online. I have been playing Dungeons & Dragons Online and it is good.
Score
March 10, 2011 5:56:13 PM

From what I've seen of MMO's, it seems like you have to pay if you want to do anything good in them. It usually seems like the free version is so limited to what you can do. Not sure if this is true or not, just seems like that's usually the case.
Score
March 10, 2011 5:59:35 PM

I was talking about the newest ones . But yes DDO and LoTR are free to play.
I have both that I mess around with from time to time. I was hoping that DAoC would also go free some day but not very likely.
Rift I was in the Beta for and its pretty Wow like but still i had fun in the beta. It seemed a lot more finished than some of the betas I had been in before like WoW, Warhammer and Daoc. Also so a few others but not going to list everything.
I have ordered Home front so we will see how that one is also. Fallout 3 game of the year was interesting and so is New Vegas.
Well thats true to a point You can earn in game points that let you open up some of the paid parts of the game such as new maps/adventure quests, more inventory, more gold. This is the case with LoTR and DDo at least.
Score
March 10, 2011 6:01:02 PM

Since you're in to Dirt2 right now, you should try the new Need For Speed Hot Pursuit. I've got 'em and they're both great games!
Score
March 10, 2011 6:30:12 PM

Yeah I've looked at NFS: HP before. How are the graphics? I didn't know you can earn enough points to open up paid parts, maybe I'll look at some MMO's.
Score
March 10, 2011 6:43:32 PM

I just started messing with DDO but I know in LoTR there are several guides just to farming these points. They say there are enough to get pretty much the whole game opened.
Score
March 10, 2011 6:49:36 PM

Cool. Maybe MMO's aren't as bad as I thought they would be. Thanks for the suggestion!
Score
March 10, 2011 7:08:52 PM

I just started playing LOTRO a couple weeks ago, I spent $6.50 on some points to buy and extra bag but could have gotten by without it. I don't know how far I can get without buying an expantion but it looks like a person could at least spend a few good months on the game without spending any money on the expansion packs.

Starcraft 2 is alot of fun. Hawx 2 looks pretty good so far, but I'm only 3 missions in. Slit Second is kind of cool, but has the feel of an arcade game and not a driving sim like Dirt 2. Alot of people seem to like Civ 5, personally I don't. Street Fighter IV is also alot of fun, but it may just be a nostalgia thing for be because I grew up playing SF2 in the arcades
Score
March 10, 2011 7:18:27 PM

A couple of open source free MMO's you can check out:

The Mana World, a 2D old school RPG style game, still in development but fun anyway:
Home page: http://themanaworld.org/
Portable Edition (take on thumb drive): http://portableapps.com/apps/games/the_mana_world_portable

Eternal Lands, not the best graphics but it is free:
http://www.eternal-lands.com/

Also, here is a link to a list of other open source games on wikipedia, some are FPS's such as Doom and Duke Nukem 3D that started life as regular commercial software but are now open source.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_source_games
Score
March 10, 2011 7:39:50 PM

Dragon Age: Origins is a great game on the PC.
Score
March 12, 2011 11:57:30 PM

Although I may not have played some of them from looking at gameplay videos they seem great:
Batman Arkham Asylum
The Witcher
Portal(its a first person puzzler)
Vindictus(its basically the god of war of mmorpgs)
Street Fighter 4
Crazy Machines 2
Mirrors Edge(first person acrobatic game)
Shank
Amnesia the Dark descent
Penumbra
Trine
StarCraft 2
Mabinogi
Assassins creed
Score
March 13, 2011 2:37:07 PM

•Assassin's Creed 2
•RUSE
•Half Life 2
•Mirror's Edge
•DIRT 2
•Starcraft 2
•Civilisation IV
•Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Score
March 13, 2011 4:18:44 PM

kilo_17 said:
Yeah I've looked at NFS: HP before. How are the graphics? I didn't know you can earn enough points to open up paid parts, maybe I'll look at some MMO's.

The graphics are right up there with some of the best, imo. Check out some reviews and youtube vids if you're on the fence, but I think you'll dig it.
Score
March 13, 2011 4:33:32 PM

No one has mentioned Oblivion or Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas? All great games. Oblivion is super cheap now too.
Score
March 13, 2011 5:05:52 PM

brandoncatz said:
The graphics are right up there with some of the best, imo. Check out some reviews and youtube vids if you're on the fence, but I think you'll dig it.

Hopefully if I did get that my HD5550 could handle it
Score
March 14, 2011 12:48:11 AM

I mentioned both Fallouts forgot Oblivion though ;) 
Score
March 14, 2011 3:33:42 AM

Aren't both of the fallout games technically FPS? Maybe FPS+. There are elements from many different genres, but I've always considered it FPS at it's most base. Either way, great games and highly recommended... if you've got the time to invest...
Score
March 14, 2011 11:35:45 AM

Well if the fallout is recommended then you can't pass Stalker. Similar FPS RPG shooter. I like Stalker over fallout, even thought fallout has a bigger world and longer campaign.
Score
March 14, 2011 12:53:11 PM

If you want something to last you, check out the DCS series
www.digitalcombatsimulator.com
It takes about a month just to learn to play, never mind play well. Top that off with countless user made campaigns & missions.
Score
March 14, 2011 2:57:04 PM

How is the DCS series? Is the download free?
Score
!