Elder scrolls 4:Oblivion crashes!!

shebna12

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Hello,
I'm in the quest wherein I should deliver the amulet of the king to Jauffe.I'm at the portal to the sewers when it is loading ,the game suddenly closed and a message appeared "Oblivion has stopped working"
and there were 2 options the:''check for solutions online" and "close the program".

I already tried to reinstall the game but same thing happens.
my game is downloaded online from piratebay,then I burned it to an empty DVD.
I met the system requirements and the i'm doubting about my video card which is Intel G33/31 Chipset family.I'm also using Windows 7 Pro 32-bit.

I hope there is a solution for this.

avulcanjedi

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
jefe323 is full of $#it. It has nothing to do with the legitimacy of the game. I own it and I've tried fixing codecs, installing DX9, moving the game directory, deleting the old .ini, putting on Spider-Man underwear at midnight on Halloween while installing a 460, I just can't run Oblivion on W7-64bit. MyXP-32bit handles it perfectly, I just don't like rebooting my PC from SSD to HDD whenever I want to play Oblivion. jefe323, you're a patronizing tool.

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

My friend, first of all, your language is more than inappropriate. Then, we do NOT support pirated software here, so be thankful someone even bothered to reply to this inept thread. Next, you have no idea how to run your copy of the game, which is probably counterfeit too, as is probably your copy of Windows 7, because I can run Oblivion on Win 7 Ultimate.

And the ultimate fool are you, for jumping into something you have no idea how to handle. You're lucky if you won't get a ban here.

avulcanjedi

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
First, I'd like to apologize to you and the entire Tomshardware community if I was inappropriate. Secondly, my copies of Win7 and Oblivion are legit. I found this thread while in frustration in not being able to run Oblivion on Win7-64bit. Thirdly, I'd like to know how you do it, as I can, but I get a CTD after a couple minutes.
Specs: Ma78g-DS3H/ AMD 920/ 4gb 800/ HD 6750.
Sorry to offend, jefe323, I was a little mad. I have tried running it under Compatibility Mode, too. Plus, I'm not inept.

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Actually I do not do anything specifically, I just installed Oblivion on Win 7 Ultimate, and I didn't even have to set any compatibility, it just worked, so I have no idea what is wrong with your set up. Did you try updating your video drivers? Is Oblivion the only older game that crashes on your system?

And actually I didn't say you were inept, it was this thread I was referring to. I can understand your frustration, but if we're all calm, we can all make it better, faster.

avulcanjedi

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Thanks, Eldd! My Oblivion install is on my data drive, a 1GB WD Black. I sent a shortcut to the desktop which is on a Crucial 64gb SSD. (My OS drive) My video drivers are like 1 day old. I want to play Oblivion and Morrowind before Skyrim comes out. So, to review, you simply installed Oblivion to your primary OS drive and away you went? Any mods like Oscuro's or anything? I see that your setup is not too unlike mine... Thanks in advance, mate! ;)

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
fyi, Oblivion does not like duel monitors, if you have duel monitors you will need to disable one. There is a windows hotkey for this. Also, remove/disable your joystick or game pad as it will interfere with in-game movement.

avulcanjedi

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Well, problem solved. I installed it on my primary drive with no mods and it runs fine. I tried your approach, jgiron, still crashed. Thanks, though. Not sure about OP's problem.

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

I have no mods installed, just the original Oblivion, runs fine on Win 7 Ultimate x64, and yes, game is installed on primary OS drive. But I see you got to solve your problems, cheers.

Izaran

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I can run Oblivion on 7 Ult as well. Either something is screwy with your game itself, or it's pirated...Come on folks, if your gonna use pirated software (and you shouldn't...EVER) the dumbest thing is to ADMIT IT. It's like walking up to a cop after robbing a bank and saying "Here is $100 from that bank over there if you pretend nothing happened"

ASuppo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
To all,
I have followed your treads and still have a few questions (they seem really out of date as I write this). I have a Toshiba A665 I5 with 8gb ram with shared video and I am running W7/64 (not ultimate) version. Can I run Oblivion? I am planning on buying the DVD version of the game but not before someone says it will work and how to make it run best (not in the market for another computer). I would love to eventually get Skyrum (advice on this would be appreciated as well). Thank you for your time and support to my questions.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
the problem might be with your shared video and since I am not familiar with it i can not say for certain that it will run. Generic laptop video cards are not designed for gaming and even though Oblivion is an older game it still requires some video card horsepower to run.
Personally, the game is not that expensive and if you can wait for the Steam sales you can get the GOTY edition for about $8.