Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

wireless network dramas!!!

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 5:31:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

All was well until xp sp2 was down loaded and now i have spent blood sweat
and tears trying to get my 2 computers to communicate but im having no
joy. Im using a netgear DG834G router both systems go online fine but ive
run the wizards on both and not even a sniff of a conection. Anyway of doing
this without the wizard as i managed it easy enough before sp2.

thanks
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 5:31:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

This may sounds like the dumbest thing but it worked for me on two
networks. Would have never thought it would have solved it but it was
a last ditch effort before I was going to format here at home. I
changed all my machines from the workgroup name 'workgroup' to
something else. I never had a problem with using workgroup till after
SP2 but after changing that everything worked just like before.


--
qball15j
http://forums.speedguide.net
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 5:31:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

SP2 has a firewall that is probaby hosing you up.......cant tell you
how to turn it off as I refuse to put SP2 on my computers.

"Sean Smith" <atfz96@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
news:419f555f$0$370$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> All was well until xp sp2 was down loaded and now i have spent blood
sweat
> and tears trying to get my 2 computers to communicate but im
having no
> joy. Im using a netgear DG834G router both systems go online fine
but ive
> run the wizards on both and not even a sniff of a conection. Anyway
of doing
> this without the wizard as i managed it easy enough before sp2.
>
> thanks
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 5:31:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Sean Smith" <atfz96@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>All was well until xp sp2

SP2 turns on the firewall by default, try disabling it...
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 5:31:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Check this out,, it explains the firewall.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/0/3/503c013f-6...
fe808d10d98/WF_Tshoot.doc

"Sean Smith" <atfz96@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
news:419f555f$0$370$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> All was well until xp sp2 was down loaded and now i have spent blood
sweat
> and tears trying to get my 2 computers to communicate but im
having no
> joy. Im using a netgear DG834G router both systems go online fine
but ive
> run the wizards on both and not even a sniff of a conection. Anyway
of doing
> this without the wizard as i managed it easy enough before sp2.
>
> thanks
>
>
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 6:06:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

qball15j wrote:
> This may sounds like the dumbest thing but it worked for me on two
> networks. Would have never thought it would have solved it but it was
> a last ditch effort before I was going to format here at home. I
> changed all my machines from the workgroup name 'workgroup' to
> something else. I never had a problem with using workgroup till after
> SP2 but after changing that everything worked just like before.
>
>
This may be why I've never had the problems with SP2 that I'm reading
about. I always change the name of my workgroup...
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 6:40:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Did you install the UPDATE FOR SP-2? Also, some Netgear products can
access a certain URL for configuration purposes. Check the site for
details.

Sean Smith wrote:
> All was well until xp sp2 was down loaded and now i have spent blood sweat
> and tears trying to get my 2 computers to communicate but im having no
> joy. Im using a netgear DG834G router both systems go online fine but ive
> run the wizards on both and not even a sniff of a conection. Anyway of doing
> this without the wizard as i managed it easy enough before sp2.
>
> thanks
>
>
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 12:59:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:19:28 -0600, in alt.internet.wireless , "Airhead"
<campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote:

>SP2 has a firewall that is probaby hosing you up.......cant tell you
>how to turn it off as I refuse to put SP2 on my computers.

I have SP2 on all three of my PCs without any problems. You do need to make
sure that file/printer sharing is enabled on the F/W.

--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;
CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt&gt;
!