RAM amount on TX-chipset

G

I´d like to ask if there are any problems with adding 128MB or 256MB PC100 SDRAM DIMMs to my GigaByte GA-586T2 board.
At the time of production, only 64MB PC66 DIMMs were in production, so the manual doesn´t mention anything larger.
Is there any limit for the memory?
I´ve heard, that only 64MB is cacheable -?

(In present I have 64MB in two 32MB PC66 DIMMs, and in the last time I added temporarily two 16MB non-EDO(!) SIMMs as well, and the system seems to work better (I don´t know if faster, but I think that non-cacheable memory is still faster than swapping) I upgraded CPU to AMD-k6-2 400Mhz running at 5.5x75Hz.I use both Linux and Windows, no games, no high-end software. I do not need it to be fastest machine, but a machine usable for nice work with modern memory consuming (mostly office) software and work with larger amound of data (hi-quality scans) and multitasking/server for one or two X-Terminals for office work, if possible.)

Thanks for advice,
Pavel

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
430TX can support up to 64 mb cached (if you have 512K cache) , and up to 256 total (uncached). My m/b does(it is SOYO).

8"

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My (SOYO) 430TX M/B supports 128MB per slot! I didn't try 256MB per slot (using only one ) yet. But everything more than 64 MB total will make it slow.

8"

G

According to the manual it should support 128MB SIMMs, so I hope it will support DIMMs of that size as well!!! (However, they didn´t exist at the time, so there is no written limit for DIMM slots. The max. amount seems to be really 256MB.