Tyan Tiger startup delay

G

This is my first post; I hope this is appropriate. I have a Tyan Tiger with 2 PIII 800 cpus, 256mb s100 RAM, 30bg Maxtor drive and a Matrox Millenium G400 video card. That said, each time I reboot it takes 4-5 minutes for anything to come up on the monitor, then the boot up is perfect. Obviously when I want to install software (I'm using win2K sp1) it is a long ordeal. I am running 4 pcs on a 10/100 mhz thin wire ethernet. Two of the pcs are Win98 with a PII 450 and 350 respectively. The other device runs a Tyan 1832 dmb with a single 450 PII Win2K and Matrox Millenium g400. All the other PCs boot perfectly. Are there any ideas/suggestions about this inordinately long delay till power up?

G

i've got a tyan trinity kt 2390, and i'm having similar problems- i flashed the bios, and it helped a little bit, but my delay is only 30-60 seconds, sometimes not at all- their tech support didn't respond to my email- try flashing your bios

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Hmmm... we have a few of these puppies and all boot extremely fast (even the one with Small Business Server 4.5 on it!)

What is your motherboard revision # and what is your BIOS version? Also, is the long delay BEFORE or after the memory test / post?

Finally, are you using the older 100MHz FSB CPUs?

From John in the lab (who is looking over my shoulder as I read and type this response)...
'Check your hard disk and see if it is on cable select or master. I have no idea why, but one of my techs told me that on the older boards, SOMETIMES these systems will boot much faster by moving the drive jumpers to cable select....(which in my mind is reverse of how it should be, but hey... I didn't design the IDE gate for Tyan, so what do I know?)'

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'