Sign in with
Your question

Crysis 6870 Crossfire no improvement

Last response: in Video Games
March 2, 2011 11:22:53 PM

Ok so i have 2x 6870 in crossfire and my problem is i get less fps in crysis with crossfire enabled than i do with 1 card. this happens on the first crysis and crysis warhead. i ran unigine heaven ill post the results below. as you will see i get nearly double the performance with crossfire enabled so i dont know whats going on. i have the latest drivers and catalyst profiles with a fresh install of windows 7 64 bit. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Single GPU:
FPS:
Scores:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

CrossfireX enabled:
FPS:
Scores:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
March 4, 2011 2:31:49 AM

Ok i ran crysis benchmark with crossfire enabled and disabled. i get 32 fps with it disabled and 32 fps with it enabled. i have installed all patches.
Related resources
March 4, 2011 5:57:43 AM

Typical Win 7 Problem with Crysis in 64 Bit. Use the 32 Bit EXE in the Crysis folder and you will run 85fps plus.
March 4, 2011 3:39:43 PM

my cpu is phenom ii x4 955 @ 3.8ghz, i would think that is fast enough to at least see an improvement in fps....
March 4, 2011 5:07:49 PM

yeah latest drivers and catalyst app profiles
March 4, 2011 7:46:39 PM

yes im sure crossfire in enabled, look at the scores from unigine heaven. it nearly doubles. i have it set to show the crossfirex logo when its on and it shows it in crysis but i get same fps as 1 card.
March 4, 2011 11:27:00 PM

i have checked with gpu-z and its using both cards but only at roughly 40-50% each. i can play bad company 2 and metro 2033 and my gpu usage is 90-100% with nearly double the fps.
May 17, 2011 11:48:14 PM

crono37037 said:
i have checked with gpu-z and its using both cards but only at roughly 40-50% each. i can play bad company 2 and metro 2033 and my gpu usage is 90-100% with nearly double the fps.

Any luck solving this problem? I have the exact same problem, except with two 6950s unlocked and clocked to 6970 speeds.

Crysis warhead seems like there is no performance gain (I am on a phenom II x6 OC to 3.8 ghz).

And Crysis 2 actually suffers from the crossfire, usually from 45-55 fps down to 25 - 30 fps.

Games like Just Cause 2, Metro, and Dragon age II show performance improvements.

I have latest drivers and latest catalyst profiles installed.
May 18, 2011 1:07:45 AM

sounds like a bottekneck problem as crysis only really uses 2 cores at full load. part of the 3rd for sound. but is well known crysis doesn't scale well on the newer hardware...
if you have it , try crysis 2, you should see a noticeable improvement in fps.
May 18, 2011 12:55:48 PM

You may have to add your card to the profile in the crysis game/config/gpu folder. I bet that is what is causing the issue. I totally hate nvidia and their deceptive practices. I had this issue with my 4870X2 on crysis before I read I had to manually add the profile to the crysis game in order to fully uses the power of my card. After entering the needed information for the amd profile I was able to run the game at max settings, no issues. Try it and see if that solves the issue. :fou: 
May 31, 2011 10:46:46 AM

CPU bottleneck id say.
June 3, 2011 3:53:52 AM

It's not a cpu bottleneck thats rediculous, you should see some improvement with 2 cards, especially in crysis which is not very cpu dependant. Try enable AA to its max setting to alleviate any cpu bottleneck and put more load on the gpu's and test on single then dual cards. If there is still no performance difference then there must be a driver/profile issue. Use good old driversweeper to get rid of all old drivers and reinstall the latest ones.
June 6, 2011 2:35:51 PM

I'm kind of worried now... How many people are having this problem? 'cause I don't want to be one of them... I just picked up 2 new 6870's off ebay... I'll have to see if I can replicate your problem. I have a relatively similar rig too.
June 7, 2011 2:16:37 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
It's not a cpu bottleneck thats rediculous, you should see some improvement with 2 cards, especially in crysis which is not very cpu dependant. Try enable AA to its max setting to alleviate any cpu bottleneck and put more load on the gpu's and test on single then dual cards. If there is still no performance difference then there must be a driver/profile issue. Use good old driversweeper to get rid of all old drivers and reinstall the latest ones.

how is a cpu bottleneck ridiculous?
it has been proven that crysis bottlenecks an i7 920 and x2 5870 upto and beyond 3.6ghz
his cpu isnt as strong as an i7 and the 6870 scales better than the 5870.
so the obvious summation would be a cpu bottleneck...

the simple solution would be to oc the cpu and see if theres an increase in performance.
a 5%increase in cpu should bring a bigger increase in gpu performance if its a cpu bottleneck.
simple to test really.
Quote:
from the guru 3d hd 5870 crossfire test

GPU scaling; as this article has proven performance is downright banging... we have so much horsepower underneath that PC hood that games will start to become bottlenecked by an overclocked Core i7 processor, which is weird yet... sexy somehow. A CPU bottleneck is not necessarily a bad thing really, as games progress and develop to a more advance state, it will balance out evenly again. The one title that I hoped would scale a little better was Crysis Warhead, but still, the performance was really good regardless of that remark.
June 7, 2011 3:37:43 AM

^really, i have read different information http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-x6-1100t-...
Quote:
Crysis is limited by the power of our reasonably powerful graphics card across the playing field. None of these processors demonstrate any obvious weaknesses, but there’s a slight advantage in favor of the Intel CPUs:
June 7, 2011 6:46:59 AM

you did notice that them benches are for a single 470, the OP is trying to use 2x6870's on a phenom 2 955@3.8

all them cpu's tested managed to get similar results meaning they could all manage to run that single card quite successfully. but its a different story when they run crysis on 2 gpu's...
you dont have to take my word for it, although i do know a little bit about this. but telling the guys at guru3d they dont , well thats a different story.
im quite prepared to leave this be as im not here for a fight or a flame war...
Anonymous
June 7, 2011 7:13:11 AM

crono37037 said:
Ok so i have 2x 6870 in crossfire and my problem is i get less fps in crysis with crossfire enabled than i do with 1 card. this happens on the first crysis and crysis warhead. i ran unigine heaven ill post the results below. as you will see i get nearly double the performance with crossfire enabled so i dont know whats going on. i have the latest drivers and catalyst profiles with a fresh install of windows 7 64 bit. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Single GPU:
FPS:
Scores:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

CrossfireX enabled:
FPS:
Scores:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

OK, So I am having this exact same problem at the moment. I started a thread on it @ http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18282... . I just want to get a firm answer on whether or not its the cpu and would a flagship AMD x4 fix my problems as opposed to my 1055t?
June 7, 2011 9:40:37 AM

you may need to turn on vsnc to get rid of micro stutter. if that doesn't work then turn your turbo mod on and max it out as high as your cooler will let you. the cpu should switch to 3 fast cores rather than 6 slower 1s.
hopefully that will sort it.
Anonymous
June 7, 2011 10:10:24 AM

Well, I don't think I am getting micro stutter really. Its more of a major stutter. If I do a 360 in game, I get like a 1-2 second freeze.

I am definitely leaning towards the idea of OCing the CPU up to about 3.8.

Is turbo mod the same as turbo core? I thought that all those enhancments were supposed to be turned off for overclocking?
June 7, 2011 11:27:05 AM

HEXiT said:
you did notice that them benches are for a single 470, the OP is trying to use 2x6870's on a phenom 2 955@3.8

all them cpu's tested managed to get similar results meaning they could all manage to run that single card quite successfully. but its a different story when they run crysis on 2 gpu's...
you dont have to take my word for it, although i do know a little bit about this. but telling the guys at guru3d they dont , well thats a different story.
im quite prepared to leave this be as im not here for a fight or a flame war...

im just trying to solve the guys problem not starting a flamewar. I do see the gfx card uses in my link is less powerful. but he is getting less fps in crysis only with 2 cards vs 1. there should be at least 30% improvement even if the cards are bottlenecked by the cpu, not a negative result. He is getting FPS increases in other games also.

"If I do a 360 in game, I get like a 1-2 second freeze. " <-this says to me, you need more ram. a 1-2 secont freeze is most likely because data needs to be loaded from the hard drive.
June 7, 2011 1:23:31 PM

the result should be nearly 95 percent improvement. with an i7 oc'd to 3.6 it will double the fps...

adding more ram will help system performance but only by a few percent maybe 5 at most getting faster lower latency ram can bring as much as 10 percent.
but that still no where near what putting a stronger core in would achieve.
i really do think its a limitation of bandwidth for the cpu so unless the op is using an am2/am2+ board with ddr2 533 ram i cant see anything else being the problem.
June 8, 2011 11:20:19 AM

^ the op is running a 3.8ghz phenomx6. and as he has explained
crono37037 said:

other very cpu intensive games run with expected results. the issue is with crysis only. I do understand what a cpu bottleneck is, i just dont believe he has one as he is getting no increase at all with crossfire in crysis and i think upgrading the CPU will just be a waste of money. Something else is up.
June 8, 2011 2:15:27 PM

crono37037
my cpu is phenom ii x4 955 @ 3.8ghz, i would think that is fast enough to at least see an improvement in fps..

veliusvayne87 has the x6..
June 12, 2011 11:27:05 PM

Hi, it turns out that I do have the same exact problem as the others on this thread. There is very little to no fps difference between crossfire and single card. it doesn't make sense though, seeing as metro 2033 plays better than crysis now...
June 14, 2011 3:04:11 AM

^ i think its pretty clear that if other games work fine and give expected results, the issue lies in crysis and/or drivers. Unfortunately i do not know the solution.
June 14, 2011 4:19:16 AM

I'm going to have to agree. The majority of other major titles run excellent.
August 6, 2011 6:35:24 AM

OP, what is your full system specs? maybe a slow hdd or ram is causing your problem, are you using vsync (in game) and triple buffering (in CCC)?
August 6, 2011 8:09:44 AM

Hey friends thanks for sharing with us I collect lots of information from all Thanks again
!