Sign in with
Your question

Real time stratergy

Last response: in Video Games
March 3, 2011 5:37:05 AM

Well to begin "Where are all the games like homeworld,age of empires,command and conquer.

I used to only enjoy stratergy gaming as building and making armies was my favourite, now all i see these days besides ported games,6 hour shooters are those weak excuses for stratergy games like dawn of war.

Real turn based stratergy games and only so much units to drop in type games like world in conflict suck, why don't they push out any more of the original type genre or am i blind?

More about : real time stratergy

March 3, 2011 8:46:16 AM

RTS has been stagnant for a while, to be honest. Too many similar games, very little variety. StarCraft 2 for example is a load of fun, but not exactly innovative. The online multiplayer experience is great though, and this is what will keep the game going. If RTS gaming is to stay relevant, other developers need to follow suit.

I made a post a few days ago regarding Victory Games, the new RTS studio founded by EA to continue the C&C franchise. It seems that despite the failings of C&C4, EA remains committed to the series. This is good news for us RTS gamers, at least in my opinion.
March 3, 2011 8:55:23 AM

Herr_Koos said:
RTS has been stagnant for a while, to be honest. Too many similar games, very little variety. StarCraft 2 for example is a load of fun, but not exactly innovative. The online multiplayer experience is great though, and this is what will keep the game going. If RTS gaming is to stay relevant, other developers need to follow suit.

I made a post a few days ago regarding Victory Games, the new RTS studio founded by EA to continue the C&C franchise. It seems that despite the failings of C&C4, EA remains committed to the series. This is good news for us RTS gamers, at least in my opinion.

I have always been more into the RTS genre then anything else, I love to build and collect resources etc, Now you get these stupid games where you drop in units or have a population cap like 90 and that just sucks.

I read your thread i to have C&C 3 - 4, Starcraft 2 its ok just to much like warcraft, I need something like the age of empires style.

Homeworld was my absolute favourite so if they could make something futuristic in the sense of modern warfare, Space ships etc. would be great, i have so much ported games i took them all off and with shooters its become boring as they make them so short and only focused on detail.
Related resources
March 3, 2011 9:30:44 AM

I trully wish people could stop pirating, atleast then we would see a turn around with less delay in games, sometimes waiting for a game or paying little extra makes the difference in development and variety instead we are heading towards a dead platform.

People can tell me till im blue in the face " look at all the the new releases " and i say " Yes and look how far down the line you have to wait for them " So if we didnt have pirates and those you have no will power to wait im sure releases would come alot sooner and with a vast amount in genre.

Wishful thinking hey? but a man can dream
March 3, 2011 10:44:07 AM

I've been playing a lot of AOE3 lately. One hell of a game, that. Homeworld is outstanding, definitely one of the best RTS games ever made. I would love to see similar games in future.
March 3, 2011 10:59:04 AM

Herr_Koos said:
I've been playing a lot of AOE3 lately. One hell of a game, that. Homeworld is outstanding, definitely one of the best RTS games ever made. I would love to see similar games in future.

Well i was thinking about buying AOE III with Warchiefs expansion and the older boxsets containing the previous AOE titles as i bought my gaming keyboard and mouse which came with asian dynasties, all from BT games, And company of heroes tales of valor as i have the previous titles which i bought, which came in a 9 in 1 boxset from THQ.

That should keep me going again until they make some new titles are developed. " i hope"

Well doubt we will ever see home world 3 in the works as sierra owns the rights to it and since relic was bought by THQ they can't do anything about it.

I live in South africa and do you think you can find the older titles, just 3 shelved tables to seperate people as they look upon their console walls of variety and quantity and all i get are these value series games.

Im so depro right now and its weak of my mindset but i can't handle this piracy anymore, its all good to download the game and play it but at the back of your mind you know you shouldn't.
a b 4 Gaming
March 3, 2011 11:40:29 AM

Anything Relic makes is good [Dawn of War, Company of Heroes]. I loved Sins of a Solar Empire, though thats more of Strategy + RTS then a pure RTS.
March 3, 2011 11:53:24 AM

Its all good just would like an original, don't enjoy the drop in no building stratergy got dawn of war 1 through to 2, But maybe since we have none like that just try find those golden oldies but would be nice with the new software and technology we have today
March 3, 2011 11:57:31 AM

Supreme commander was a good one then got consolised for supcom2.

March 3, 2011 11:59:43 AM

strangestranger said:
Supreme commander was a good one then got consolised for supcom2.

Got that and the came in my boxset but poor detail but over all worth playing, have not tried the sequel
March 3, 2011 12:17:16 PM

Jonathern said:

I live in South africa and do you think you can find the older titles, just 3 shelved tables to seperate people as they look upon their console walls of variety and quantity and all i get are these value series games.

A fellow Saffer! Woohoo!!!

You are right, we always seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to availability of games. I've gotten most of my games from Kalahari.net, but going forward Amazon and Steam may be the only options.
March 3, 2011 1:31:55 PM

Herr_Koos said:
A fellow Saffer! Woohoo!!!

You are right, we always seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to availability of games. I've gotten most of my games from Kalahari.net, but going forward Amazon and Steam may be the only options.

Yeah the koos part already signaled RSA boy, Steam is like the dust on my computer not my favourite,rofl,Well i guess we at the mercy of service delivery and developers just hate looking on our local sites only to find FPS as the spearhead of sales, Well time to play some igame core alpha on cod4 "noobin8tor is the name FPS is the game,lol
!