A7V133- DOWN FOR GOOD ??

G

I recently aquired a brand new computer, and installed all the components which includes a new Thunderbird 1gHz. I installed all the components, got my windows 2000 working, and even got to test out my new sound card's EAX on some games. I turn off my computer and the next day when i try to turn it on, nothing. I rechecked all the connectors again and again, but still no luck. The power supply is on, and i can hear my hard drives starting up, but my monitor remains blank. I checked my video card think that maybe i may have killed it, but it worked fine on another computer. Since there is no beeping, is the MoBo dead ?? Is there something else i should try before i send the damn MoBo back ??

JustPlainJef

Splendid
Feb 20, 2001
Well, sending it back may be the easy way, but it is no promise that it will work. If you can, test the RAM and CPU in another PC. Also, Test another VGA card in the new PC. If CPU & Mem work, then you need to verify that it is the MoBo. If you can verify that the VGA, CPU, Memory & Floppy work, then take EVERYTHING out of the case except the MB. Take ALL connections off of the MB, and then replace them all. Don't say "Last time this went here", check the manual and basically do it all from scratch. Add ONLY VGA, CPU, Memory, & Floppy (bootable preferred) and see if you can get into BIOS. If so, add your HDD. Then, Add CD ROM, followed by other peripherals. If you can't get into BIOS with minimal components, then it is probably bad. I know the post is kinda long and what I told you to do is gonna suck, but it will be faster than sending back a bad board if you find a problem, and you should learn something if you fix it. Good luck my friend!

What's a signature? Oh, those words that show up after all my comments? I don't need one of those!

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Did you check the monitor on another system?

Does the monitor power light cycle when you power up the system? Most go from orange to green and you hear the power being put to the puppy. Does this happen? Did you try seating and then reseating the video card? Sometimes they need to be put in like 4 or 5 times to get a good seat.

Is your power supply rated for at least 2.0 Amps for +5Vsb? If not, that could be the culprit if you have USB or other devices set to "wake" up the system.

If it is NOT rated for 2amps or better on the +5Vsb, go to your motherboard jumpers and move them to NOT have "Wake on xxx" set. This includes WAKE ON LAN, WAKE ON RING (modem), etc... Then the system should boot, so you can then go into the BIOS and ALSO disable the features there. Then, it's just a matter of having Windows 2000 manage your system with a screen saver (and leaving the power up all the time) and by NOT using power management features.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'